Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fructose in onions/bell peppers/etc page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

is this something I should worry about? I eat a lot of onions!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

nope

veggies are good

grandma is offline Member

I wouldn&#39;t. I don&#39;t think we understand the whole fructose story yet. People seem to say that natural occurring fructose is not as bad as the isolated/artificially produced stuff (sugar and HFCS). I&#39;m sure I don&#39;t know enough to start condemning natural foods. It bothered me that Dr. Davis had a series of posts recently where he was condemning natural fruits that were high in fructose. I don&#39;t think the evidence is there yet for that.

I know I was using fructose as an argument against sweet potatoes recently, but I&#39;m not sure that is really warranted and in that case we were talking about things that should be in our diet anyway. I love onion as much or more then then next guy, but I don&#39;t eat as much as I would apples or sweet potatoes so I don&#39;t think it is a big concern.

HFCS is a different story however.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

The fructose argument with most health issues is referring to fructose in sucrose, and HFCS. Now, certain fruits do also contain fructose, but, those fruits usually contain a wide array of benefits that outweigh the fructose. Flavonids, phytochemicals, phytonutrients, polyphenols, fiber, ect... None or at-least barely at all of any of that is found in larger sources of fructose.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

After reviewing all the literature including "Sugar: The bitter truth," I avoid fructose like the plague that it is.

BUT, if it is part of a natural food, I pay it no mind. Especially if in moderation; no eating whole watermelons, heah?

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Watermelons don&#39;t contain a lot of fructose anyway. They contain some sugar alcohol, can&#39;t remember which.

Anyway our liver can process some fructose. So if we are not getting past that limit it should be fine. Just we should chose things that do not contain a lot of fructose as a percentage, so that we don&#39;t eat much. For me that means, avoiding very sweet fruits.

Almost every eatable plant parts contain some amount of fructose. It cannot be avoided without becoming a complete carnivore.

JamieBelle is offline Member

Using fitday for the last 3 weeks has really helped me to see which veggies are heavier on the carbs/sugar than others.

Onions and peppers are in the safe category, along with cucumbers and lettuces. Squashes, carrots, and tomatoes need to be eaten with some moderation. This is all I&#39;ve figured out so far.

maba is offline Senior Member

I know onion has a lot of sugar, especially red ones, but I still eat them because they make everything so tasty. Here&#39;s a visual representation of how much sugar fruits and veggies contain, don&#39;t know what %age of that is fructose though.

http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

http://www.sugarstacks.com/vegetables.htm

JamieBelle is offline Member

According to fitday 4 oz of "sweet raw onion" has about 9 g of carbs. 4 oz of raw green pepper has about 5 g carbs.

So I guess it&#39;s not "great", but it could be worse.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

www.nutritiondata.com or the USDA SR21 will break out the sugars in most foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast