Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery Drink page

pattyd is offline Senior Member

Recovery Drink

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I wasn`t sure as to post this here or on the PB workout forum but it`s not a workout so I decided to do it here. My Recovery drink has like 32 g`s of fructose;should I stop taking it? I don`t drink it daily;mostly after a heavy cardio which is once a week. Thanks for your help
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    How long is your cardio session, and how intense? IIRC, unless it's high-intensity and +90 minutes, your body's daily glucose supply should be able to handle it. Someone please correct me if I'm misremembering.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If I remember right, that's about the same as a banana? I could be wrong. Also, it depends on your goals, and what you consume the rest of the day, and how intense the workout is.

Lots of variables...

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member
    Get a better drink... get Ultima. It's completely sugar free. Uses Stevia for a little sweetness. It's Gluten free, 100% non-GMO, no MSG, no caffeine, no dairy. Has a giant list of vitamins and minerals. I used to get nasty migraines after working out. Taking this after a strenuous workout helps. Only the nastiest of nasty workouts where my heart rate is up in the 180 BPM the entire time still gives me a migraine.

Ultimareplenisher.com for more info. No, i'm not a spokesperson, being paid, or anything else. It's just a great product.
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    On another note, most of what you consume doesn't hit your bloodstream until 1.5-2.5 hours after you consume it. So realistically, when the drink finally hits, your body has probably already recovered from the glucose depletion, or at least started.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    If you want something natural for recovery maybe you can try coconut juice. It has been used in a lot of Southeast Asian and Polynesian countries for centuries for recovery. It tends to be a little on the sweet side for me since my taste buds have changed since Paleo, but I normally dilute it with water. It does the trick for me everytime if I do a really hard day of workouts/sprints or intervals.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by HonuRacer View Post
    Get a better drink... get Ultima. It's completely sugar free. Uses Stevia for a little sweetness. It's Gluten free, 100% non-GMO, no MSG, no caffeine, no dairy. Has a giant list of vitamins and minerals. I used to get nasty migraines after working out. Taking this after a strenuous workout helps. Only the nastiest of nasty workouts where my heart rate is up in the 180 BPM the entire time still gives me a migraine.

Ultimareplenisher.com for more info. No, i'm not a spokesperson, being paid, or anything else. It's just a great product.
    Thank you so much, I`ll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Max[imilian] View Post
    On another note, most of what you consume doesn't hit your bloodstream until 1.5-2.5 hours after you consume it. So realistically, when the drink finally hits, your body has probably already recovered from the glucose depletion, or at least started.
    Really? I was always told that after an intense workout your body is primed perfectly to absorb all the nutrients! You mean "they`re" lying to me??

Quote Originally Posted by Max[imilian] View Post
    How long is your cardio session, and how intense? IIRC, unless it's high-intensity and +90 minutes, your body's daily glucose supply should be able to handle it. Someone please correct me if I'm misremembering.
    The workout is 60 min and not including warmup and cool down it`s about a 50 minute total cardio session. I burn between 800-950 cals and it`s plyo.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i just use my homemade electrolyte mix during and post workout, i'm never craving calories post workout unless it ends up being similar to HIIT training (flag football will get me there and so will Ultimate if we don't have a lot of subs).

my mix is a "dash" of sea salt, a "smidgen" of potassium chloride (NoSalt can be found at Walmart) and 2 squeezes of RealLemon in a liter (32oz) of water. [the "dash" and "smidgen" are those mini measuring spoons, I think they workout to like a 10th of a tsp and a 16th of a tsp respectively] After an intense workout you could realistically (Safely) take in as much as a half tsp of sodium and a quarter tsp of potassium and still be good (I used to take in up to 2tsp of salt and a tsp of potassium after intense football practices, I'm talking about losing +4lbs in water weight). You could easily throw in a glucose tab if you don't want the fructose from table sugar (if you're looking for a glucose boost post workout).
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast