Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cave Odyssey, one step at a time page 2

SloGo is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Whole30: days 5, 6 & 7

I have been away from the forum for the weekend, so I am catching up now.

Day 5 was a mixed bag. Got up a 4:30am to catch a bus to a ski resort for a day on the slopes with my son. Packed good Primal snacks for the road (eggs, tuna, nuts), but still was a bit hungry when I got there. Wish I thought ahead and pre-made some bacon or something a little more fatty. Took 2 hour snowboarding class, made some definite progress (snowboarding is new for me this year, usually I ski).

Then came the lunch challenge. I was totally starving by then and despite my best efforts to find something Primal in the cafe all choices were bad. I settled for a bacon cheeseburger and ate it without the bun, but splurged on the ketchup as the thing tasted like a shoe sole. Bleh! Followed it with a cup of green tea and pretended to be satisfied for the rest of the day.

The return trip was a challenge as well. Was tempted to the dark side by an offer of chocolate (oh no!!!) and ended up partaking in 3 small pieces. The bus party stopped at Round Table Pizza for dinner, which proved to be another challenge. The most primal options I found was the salad bar and a small order of chicken wings (not sure if they are W30 approved, but I was out of options and HUNGRY). Beer was another splurge (worth it).

Day 6: Sore muscles, mostly shoulders and neck. A day of detox from bad foods. Did well but still overdid in on overall calories. Maintained 70-10-20 ratio, but probably needed to ease up on those macadamias or cut out some heavy cream that is my W30 exception.

Also did my weekly grocery shopping. Could not find bacon without added sugar - need to seek alternatives. For now sticking with the brand with the least amount.

Could not avoid the temptation to get on the scale. Very bummed to still see 194 lb. I have been trying so hard, would love to see some results in that department soon. May need to start obsessing with tracking and measuring, which will be so non-Primal.

Day 7: Back to work. Breakfast was a quick scrambled egg, no time for bacon but had some cream in my tea. Lunch: london broil with veggies. The guy at the cafeteria counter now knows me as "meat, greens and more greens". Heading to the gym, will see if I feel like moving or lifting when I get there.

SloGo is offline Member
    Whole30: days 8 and 9

Yesterday was my "bike to work day", I was happy that I was able to shave 10 min off my overall time. This is probably due to being more familiar with the route now, being a bit stronger, and also tuning into Robb Wolfe's podcast during the ride - keeps my mind off the effort and things just kind of flow when I am listening to something. Maybe I will try pumping in some heavy-duty tunes to kick it up another notch. Anyway, success!

Another major win - got my toddler to eat some of the yummy chicken I made last night in crock pot. There is some hope there!

Dessert last night - 3 cut up strawberries with a 1/4 cup heavy cream on top. That was very yummy!

Today I noticed that I could finally button the cuffs on my shirt around my upper arm! Wow, how did that happen? I have always had to fold them without buttoning as they were just too tight. That just put a smile on my face - could I be finally seeing some progress?

SloGo is offline Member
    Whole 30: day 10

The challenge is 1/3 of the way through. I think I am adjusting pretty well and not sure I will be doing much different once it is over, at least till I start loosing some weight, which I think should happen at some point. Not really missing any specific food at this point. Interesting, I thought I would have some cravings by now, but not yet.

Noticing that it is getting easier to go on less calories and feeling just as satisfied. Hope this will continue.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I am still having doubts - that residual CW brainwashing, I suppose. But I have seen it all before - diet/lifestyle with plausible science behind it and a devoted following. Quack results, short lived. Hope this is not the case. I think the biggest selling point for me is all the success stories that are posted on this forum. Very inspiring. Just hope I can be a "success story" one day.

SloGo is offline Member
    Successfully fell off my journaling wagon as life got busy busy busy. However, I did not fall off the Primal bandwagon and really happy about it.

Finished the Whole 30 in March. Went down from 194lbs to 192lbs. Somewhat disappointing as I am reading all the posts about people dropping whopping 10-15 lbs per month, but still in the right direction. Slow and steady, hopefully I will get there. However, for me this is not proving to be that "effortless" after all.

Since the beginning of April I have been leaning more towards Paleo approach, which for me is not that different from Primal at all. Still allowing myself some leeway here and there. Now mostly down to around 191, but occasionally bouncing around a bit. Really trying to track 4-5 days a week to make sure I am doing OK. Finding that on most days I am not eating enough (around 1500 cal) and on other days I go a little overboard (around 2200cal). Should work on being a bit more consistent and find that magic number.

Dialing in my exercise this month. Current weekly schedule:
    Kickboxing - 1 day,
    biking to work 18 miles roundtrip - 2 days,
    bodyworks (HIIT type class) - 1 day,
    long brisk walk (about an hour) - 1-2 days

Hope this will be sustainable long term. Kickboxing and bodyworks still kick my butt every time, but biking is definitely getting easier as I am getting more used to it. Hopefully this will help to get this fat melting already.

Moving kids over to Primal is not working very well still. I realized that I know what I need to get out of their diet, but have no clue as what I can give them instead that they would actually eat. So goal for this month is to slowly get them to eat new foods without making it into a throwdown every time. They only get pasta/pizza when we go out now, which is not that often. Slow and steady here too.

Oh, and big score for this month is finding a local meat CSA! I am already getting a big portion of my veggies that way, but the local grass-fed meat will be awesome! Looking forward to getting my first shipment next week. Also met a guy at the local farmer's market that sells grass-fed meat, but that stuff was expensive! Will have to get that as a treat once in a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12