Thread: lacking energy! page

inthefire is offline Junior Member

lacking energy!

Primal Fuel
    sence i have stoped eating grains my energy level has gone way down, I feel tired all the time. Im not over wieght or out of shape. I felt fine eating a healthy diet with small amounts of grains throughout the day. But now that im trying to cut them out I feel so lethargic.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you could be suffering from carb flu. if you're not doing PB to lose weight/fat, then just eat more carbs...just don't eat grains. have potatoes, squash, a little rice every now and then if you feel you need it for the energy. generally, though, if you've got low energy you can beat it by eating more fat.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    If you're not looking to lose weight, then try bumping up your calories. I think a lot of otherwise healthy people who start this diet tend to under-eat because they don't replace all of the food they end of dropping.

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    eat them fats! i didnt eat fats when i started pb and was feeling down all day then started eating coconut oil and butter in everymeal(lots of them) i also am not and have never been overweight, underweight if anything. how about posting what your eating? we cant give you a complete answer for sure without knowing a tipical day

Quote Originally Posted by jon tall tree View Post
    eat them fats! i didnt eat fats when i started pb and was feeling down all day then started eating coconut oil and butter in everymeal(lots of them) i also am not and have never been overweight, underweight if anything. how about posting what your eating? we cant give you a complete answer for sure without knowing a tipical day
    Breakfast 8am 5 egg whites 1 egg yoke, half serving of steal cut oats, 1/4 cup mixed nutes. i grind nuts and put it in with outs.12pm lunch its always a sandwich on 100% whole wheat lots of veggies and turkey bacon with avocado. i eat that with some fruite. 3pm shake after workout its 25grams of protien per serving 6pm dinner 1 chicken thigh with sweat potato and lots of raw mixed greens. Its hwrd for me not to eat some grains in the moring and at lunch. by time i go to work out i feel like im running on empty. I have a very fast metabolism, I could it fast food all day and not gain much at all. Im a fire fighter so i haft to have energy.

BayouPrimal is offline Member
    Try 5 whole eggs, cooked with butter or coconut oil. Cut the oats. For lunch, ditch the sandwich for a salad topped with the meat of your choice and a good olive oil dressing, cut the bread and fruit. Make supper more chicken and greens, and cut the sweet potato.

Eating carbs all day keeps your insulin levels elevated, which prompts your body to store fat instead of using it for energy. If you keep your insulin levels lower, you'll burn fat for fuel and feel less hungry throughout the day, because you're not relying on glucose for fuel.

The diet you describe sounds low-fat to me. Primal is not low-fat; it is low carb, moderate protein, high fat.
    Last edited by BayouPrimal; 02-23-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouPrimal View Post
    Try 5 whole eggs, cooked with butter or coconut oil. Cut the oats. For lunch, ditch the sandwich for a salad topped with the meat of your choice and a good olive oil dressing, cut the bread and fruit. Make supper more chicken and greens, and cut the sweet potato.

Eating carbs all day keeps your insulin levels elevated, which prompts your body to store fat instead of using it for energy. If you keep your insulin levels lower, you'll burn fat for fuel and feel less hungry throughout the day, because you're not relying on glucose for fuel.

The diet you describe sounds low-fat to me. Primal is not low-fat; it is low carb, moderate protein, high fat.
    ok thanks!

rians is offline Junior Member
    I'm pretty junior, been primal for a month. I need to lose a substantial amount of weight (30lbs). I have very low energy though. Can I eat lots of fat (butter and coconut oil, nuts etc.) If I understand the primal bluepring correctly, you don't really have to eat that little. Mark constantly talks about eating until you are full and it is just about eating the right thing? Am I missing something - energy level about 2 / 10

Quote Originally Posted by rians View Post
    I'm pretty junior, been primal for a month. I need to lose a substantial amount of weight (30lbs). I have very low energy though. Can I eat lots of fat (butter and coconut oil, nuts etc.) If I understand the primal bluepring correctly, you don't really have to eat that little. Mark constantly talks about eating until you are full and it is just about eating the right thing? Am I missing something - energy level about 2 / 10
    this is carb flu and it's brutal when it first happens. I still get it if I eat white sugar or any bread. For example, yesterday I was at a Mardi Gras parade and had too much vodka. The next thing I know I'm eating a hotdog and praline candy. Today I can't even do my daily Grok walk. On a normal day I can Grok for almost 10 miles hardly breaking a sweat.
    when you've eaten sugar, grains etc. for so long and then stop you're literally breaking an addiction your body has clung to since you were old enough to eat that stuff. I'd try Intermittent Fasting. Start after an early dinner the night before and try to last until lunchtime. Soon you'll be able to last all the way until your next dinner which will be 24 hours. It sounds crazy but it's fantastic for hunger management and energy. You reach a certain point where your body wakes up and insulin stabilizes. I have tried to incorporate 2 of them every week.
    Don't snack, this increases your hunger and you'll likely consume something that will negate all of your efforts. You can have lots of fat but I have found that I need to cool my jets on the nut consumption. For a while you might even want to avoid good foods with higher glycemic index like bananas, carrots, oranges, apples. If you want something sweet and fruity stick to berries with Stevia or Xylitol. When your energy returns you can slowly add back the carrots, bananas and sweeter fruits. Good luck
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay