Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Oils' to grease my salads page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

'Oils' to grease my salads

Primal Fuel
    After a long stint off the wagon , I am back to being primal (along with my other half ).

The only thing that concerns me is my salad oils. When I prepare a salad, I open up a tin of Mackeral/Sardines in Sunflower oil and pour in all of the oil in the can, pretty sure sunflower oil isn't the best oil, but it tastes nice.

I also use Canola oil, and i have also heard that this isn't ideal either, luckily the bottle is empty so i'm willing to ditch it.

In my mind, that leaves olive oil, which is absolutely disgusting in a salad......I have extra virgin...is this why it's so yuck? I've not tried other olive oils...but I can't imagine it ever being 'nice' with a genuine 'mmmmm!' after tasting.

I just need a bit of oil to coat my salads...can't stand dry salad...euch! What's lovely and primal? (and something I can buy or easily make at least heh)

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    Olive oils vary significantly in flavor depending on the varietal and where it's grown. I personally hate the taste of Greek EVOO -- my favorites seem to come from California. But there's nothing that says you couldn't make an infusion with the less-than-delicious oil you already have. You could always add some dried herbs and thinly sliced garlic to the EVOO, put in a dark cabinet for a few weeks (shake every now and again), and then give it a shot. It might be more "Mmmmm!" than you remember it!

Mark recently did an article on Macadamia nut oil, which I would think would be amazing on salad as well as totally Primal.

peril is offline Senior Member
    FFS, what is wrong with EVOO? It is absolutely delicious. Try it for a couple of weeks then tell us you don't like it. BTW, it helps to rub the salad bowl with a bruised clove of garlic

And you are right in that the sunflower and canola oils have to go
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    It just kills the salad and enjoyment for me. Just like tuna......

I will give it a go, one bowl of it is enough, let alone a couple of weeks heh.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I use, variously, EVOO, avocado oil, and have recently found the macadamia oil, which is awesome. I use balsamic vinegar with all of these and I just love it.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Huh, you don't like olive oil? Maybe the non-virgin stuff would be better for you, since it has less taste. Also, perhaps try the sardines that are packed in olive oil -- that would presumably taste primarily like fish, not olives.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It's actually getting hard to find regular old olive oil. Everyone wants the EV stuff because they assume it's the highest quality. It does have the richest flavor but it's also not as good for cooking. I can still find the regular stuff at Trader Joes, but that's the only place I've seen it near me.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I've been rocking salads with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. DELICIOUS.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    How about warm bacon grease (I know I'm not the only one that's tried it...I liked it anyway). I like EVOO, so don't know what to tell you about that. I haven't tried the macadamia nut oil, but everyone I talk to raves about it so maybe that's would be an option also.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Try flavoring your own oil by steeping some chili and garlic in it for a week or so.
    I like mashing some anchovies, pepper and vinegar in a pestle and mortar and mixing it in with the oil.
    I'm not real big on the taste of plain olive oil myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast