Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

Shop Now
    OMG! I never got around to reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, so I finally ordered this last week.

Fantastic! Answers all my questions and convinced me to kick my sugar habit for good.

If you only read one nutrition book--this is IT.

maba is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading the book now. But you should definitely read GC,BC. It's not an easy read but definitely well worth the time and effort.

I get too bogged down by a lot of science-talk (and I was an honors biology major, lol!) I don't need a bunch of studies/references to be convinced--my own experience has shown me that what he writes is true.

I like the simplicity and accessibility of this book--and I wanted something I could hand to my family & friends. Just lost another cousin to diabetes-related complications, so it's very timely.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've been talking to my gf about getting this book, mostly for her mom, but I would also want her to read it. Does it come off as holier than though though? Her mom really has an issue with sugar, she's almost child-like about it and frankly it's very irritating but at the same time I can understand how years of this stuff can affect a woman in her late 60s.

She just recently signed up to a gym and has a trainer, so I think it's a good time to give her the nutritional info that her trainer most likely is neglecting. I just really don't know how to like give her a book with such a "strong" title. I mean, I'd obviously have my gf do it not me.

I want to get it for myself anyway so I should just do it.

I didn't get any "holier-than-thou" vibe--more of a "Hey, look what I discovered when I went and actually read the nutrition research of the last century."

It really helps me to understand how addictive carbs are and why it is so easy to keep the weight on with my "little" bit of sugar. I feel a lot more compassion for folks now.

Better to read the book several times and have some conversations with your girlfriend first, IMO. I think my husband will read it just because I am so excited by it.

Well my gf has heard me talk about this stuff for a bit over a year now. I'm not sure how much has stuck, but she eats primal for the most part, at least when I'm around. She (my gf) does still LOVE cereal and runs to it as comfort food or whenever she can't think of what else to eat. I do want her to read it, but I think her mom is in more desperate need for it. This woman literally wakes up to eat cookies, then goes back to bed. If my gf brings in any dessert into the house she has to hide it and most often than not her mom finds it and eats it. She doesn't really have a weight issue, but I'm sure internally she's got stuff to deal with.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I'm #29 in line for it at the library! And there's only 4ish copies in right now (with several more on the way)

I will probably end up buying 5 copies to lend out to clients and friends!

Did you order yours? I was gonna hit up amazon but maybe I can find it at a regular bookstore...

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Dragonfly, I completely agree and am glad to see you promoting it!

I'm glad that this book was the reason for me going PB. It has made all Neo-carbs, excess sugar, and processed foods so unappealing to me. It horrified me when I realized that I could have ended up being one of those rats who died starving, but fat. That no matter how much effort I put in, how many miles uphill I ran, how "healthy" I ate according to CW, I was never going to look the way I felt I deserved for all my efforts. After one month Primal and seven pounds later, I can see the muscles I knew were under there. Incredible.

I also think that anyone who has trouble resisting carbs/sweets or who have issues with falling off the PB stone-wheeled wagon should read this book. It might just cure you.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast