Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get more exercise in winter? page

How to get more exercise in winter?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I currently do 2-3 crossfit type workouts per week (one at a xfit facility and 1-2 on my own). I know I don't move enough in general - my job has me standing a bit but is mostly sedentary in nature. I need ideas to get those 2-5 hours per week of low intensity exercise that Mark suggests during the winter. I have long daily lunch breaks but it's too cold to go for walks and by the time I get to the gym I only have 1 hour to
    Change, warm up, do my xfit type workout, change and get back. I have a young child so after work is daycare pick up, playtime, cooking, dinner and kiddo bed time.

What do those of you in cold climates do to get your 2-5 hours? Come summer I'll be able to bike, play with the kiddo at the park, and my job becomes much more active in the summers (I work with kids).

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Stallion is offline Senior Member
    I live in the Northwest. Although it doesn't get that cold here (30's-40's in the winter) cold rain is a reality 80% of the time between October and June. This year, I bit the bullet and bought some quality cold weather excercise gear, and have found that it makes all the difference.

For around $250-$300, I upgraded to the Neoprene VFF Flows, a quality base layer of Under Armor ($100) and a vented rain suit that can fit over fleece top/pants as needed.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I have friends who live in Minnesota & other frigid climes who run year round. With the right gear there is no such thing as too cold. While I will concede that with certain footing minimalist footwear is a problem. I do own a pair of yaktrax which probably wouldnt wear well over any flexible soled shoe.

You work with kids eh? Anyway to get involved in their play/free time? Put on some music and dance with them? Kids need to move too. Same with your kids playtime
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

tanyahk is offline Senior Member
    I live in Boston and understand what you mean about being too cold to walk or run outside - while tons of people do it and love it, I personally hate working out in the freezing cold I bought some DVDs for working out at home - there are so many to pick out there that you can find something that fits your time schedule or the type of workout you like. I have yoga dvd's as well as Power90 (the set of DVDs that Tony Horton made prior to P90X, they are much easier but I lost alot of inches with them!) and TurboFire - cardio yes, but they have HIIT workouts so I use that for my "sprinting once a week" and a 30 minute light cardio where I don't do any of the plyometrics so my heart rate doesn't shoot through the roof.

I have found that it works into my schedule, allows me to do a 15 minute workout OR an hour, depending on the time I have AND gives me no excuse to no work out because I can do it at 6am or 10pm, no need to get to a gym.....

I hope that helps you out a bit!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Stop being a pansy? Seriously, my man-cave (read: training 'hall') is so cold over winter that icicles hang from the ceiling, my clock freezes up, and the barbell is so cold I can barely stand to hold it. Statements like 'it's too cold to walk/lift/train/whatever' are not facts. They are your opinion, and that is under your control. You can decide to say 'to hell with the cold, I'm wearing extra layers and doing it anyway' or you can decide to say 'it's too cold, I can't do anything'. But whatever you do, please recognise that it is a choice, not an unavoidable circumstance.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I for one like working out in the snow. But I'm weird.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Stop being a pansy? Seriously, my man-cave (read: training 'hall') is so cold over winter that icicles hang from the ceiling, my clock freezes up, and the barbell is so cold I can barely stand to hold it. Statements like 'it's too cold to walk/lift/train/whatever' are not facts. They are your opinion, and that is under your control. You can decide to say 'to hell with the cold, I'm wearing extra layers and doing it anyway' or you can decide to say 'it's too cold, I can't do anything'. But whatever you do, please recognise that it is a choice, not an unavoidable circumstance.
    Bwahaha, I love you (in a purely platonic fashion)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    nightly dance party with the kiddo.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    If I can't get outside for natural workouts, I have an inside recumbent exercise bike, a Wii (love the boxing, Wii Sports Resort and the dancing ones), and I do shovelglove, use sandbags (that I made) kettlebells, etc.

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    nightly dance party with the kiddo.
    This is exactly what we do. Dancing, wresting, tickle wars, squats with the kids on our shoulders, and other moves that include them. They make great little weights, and they love it. =)
    Having young kids makes it very hard to go outside in the cold, and workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast