Thread: Cheap meat in London? page

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member

Cheap meat in London?

Primal Fuel
    I'm studying abroad in London and money's tight right now (planning some trips).

Can anyone give me advice for the cheapest places to buy meat? Also, what cuts/types of meat are cheapest here? The three stores I have easiest access to are Sainsbury's, Waitrose, and Marks & Spencer. I am also close to the Islington Farmer's Market, and have no problem popping down to Borough Market.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

When I was a student abroad in London I lived near Islington too! I know just where you are! I never really priced meat at Borough market, but I think there's a good chance it'll be more pricey. There's a Tesco on Caledonian Road near King's Cross that will probably have cheaper cuts of meat, but I am pretty sure Sainsburys has a value range too. It's been a while for me to remember what cuts of meat I used to buy, so I'll let some other experts give you some advice! You've made me all wistful for London now!

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I actually LIVE in Islington. :P

The three shops you're closest to are actually really good for buying meats; if you're willing to take a small walk (half an hour from my house), you can go to the Angel where they sell lots of fresh cuts of meat as well as fish. They have a really good selection there, and I should also mention that the Farmer's Market was relocated there (in Chapel Market); much better location, I think. I haven't been there in a long time because of budget constraints, though. I loved the pork cuts on offer there...

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    I love Angel! It's where I do most of my shopping.

In general, what are the cheaper cuts/types of meat? Like, how does lamb compare to beef? Chicken liver is ridiculously cheap, I've noticed. Is frozen cheaper than fresh here? Would a grocery store or butcher be cheaper?