Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull-up Progression page

Primal Urge is offline Junior Member

Pull-up Progression

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

Just a few weeks into my primal journey, but really enjoying it so far. Even have my cavewoman on board..although I've got a lot more work to do than she does.

I'm starting to progress into a body weight routine but can absolutely not do pull-ups yet. I just watched a youtube vid on pull-up progression by mark.

Is there any reason why I can't start this progression on the pull up machines they have at the gym I frequent? Where you can offset your on weight, thus making the pull up easier?

I'm still at a point where I enjoy doing my workouts in the gym, although I can see tranisitioning out of that phase soon.

Any feedback on the pull-up question appreciated. Looking forward to getting to know some of you.

PU

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    you can absolutely do them on the machine just make sure as frequent as possible you take off more of the help, if their too easy then youll progress slower. alittle tip you might find useful is to do them really really slow. i used to power through them but didnt make good progress, slowed them down to barely moving and upped my reps alot easier

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Pull-ups are hard! Check out my article on learning to do a pull-up if you haven't seen it yet. Also, I recommend doing a search on the forum as this topic comes up often.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Primal Urge is offline Junior Member
    Interesting, so based on your article...you are completely against the Graviton.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Australian pull-ups are the best way to progress to a normal pull-up IMO.

Neilfenstein is offline Member
    +1 australian pull ups also known as body rows. you can gradually build up the intensity by slowly increasing the angle from vertical to/until horizontal.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Urge View Post
    Interesting, so based on your article...you are completely against the Graviton.
    Not COMPLETELY against it (reread the last paragraph), but in my experience it is not a very effective way to learn to do a pull-up.

Don't be discouraged - a pull-up is within your grasp if you want it (pun intended!).
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

todd03blown is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Australian pull-ups are the best way to progress to a normal pull-up IMO.
    Where are the best places to go to do Australian pull-ups? A park or play ground? I am trying to think of local places in my area and I really cannot think of a location to do these.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post
    Where are the best places to go to do Australian pull-ups? A park or play ground? I am trying to think of local places in my area and I really cannot think of a location to do these.
    I used a public exercise station which had a waist high bar. You'll just have to look around. Al Kavadlo has a great page on the "Down Under" pull-up. [1]

[1] http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/01/all...lian-pull-ups/

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I just discovered the Australian pull up via this forum (click the link in the article Al linked to for a really useful video-edit to add: the post right above this one also has that link) and I have to say it is one of the most brutally awesome exercises ever (did NOT expect the level of forearm burn I ended up with of all things).

When I first read about them, I really wanted to try them, but it's the middle of winter and it's been cold as a Christian's @ss cheeks lately, so the one place I know of that has varied-level bars (a local park) was a bit intimidating as a starting place for an exercise I hadn't tried yet. It was a few days before it dawned on me that coupling a step ladder (had to anchor the feet in cinder blocks to get good stability) with the pull up bar in my home would allow me to do Australian pull ups at any level of incline (which will allow me to progress as I get better).

I weigh 300 lbs, and a fair chunk of that is fat, so regular pull ups have been out of my reach for a long time. Being able to do them is one of my primary goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast