Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sushi page

elektro is offline Member

Sushi

Shop Now
    Since going primal I don't think there's a food I've really missed except for Sushi. I know sashimi is good to eat, but can't say I love my fish by itself. Are sushi rolls fine to eat in moderation? If so, is brown rice going to be better or will my body essentially treat it the same as white rice? How do I know if I'm getting quality fish?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sushi is fine in moderation. i've really grown to love sashimi, but every now and then i get a craving for a philly roll...i say have at it

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I think sushi is so delicious that I allow myself once a month or less to just go full-out and eat the most delicious, expensive, orgasmic whatever rolls that I want. Sushi is too good to try and make it super healthy. If you eat it all the time, then try and Primal-ize it, but if not, I say go all out.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I buy sushi grade tuna at the market (it's insanely priced) wrap in a sheet of nori with avocado, cucumber, and sesame seeds. Dip in sesame oil mixed with a little sea salt and wasabi. I'd also like to find some coconut amino's for home use.

I think soy sauce is one of the big issues for me in going out for sushi. White rice is harmless enough but soy sauce has not only soy, but also wheat and massive quantities of sodium..

eta- Mark had a good post on the main page about white vs. brown rice a little while back. I forget the deets' (if anyone has the link, please share) but IIRC it basically said- go white.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a bartender (ugh, some of the best times of my life!) and worked at one place that had a sushi bar. I went to visit and stuffed my face with many awesome rolls.

Sushi is too good to primalize, just eat the rice and move on I say, if you must, do it after a nice good workout I guess. I didn’t think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nopie View Post
    I buy sushi grade tuna at the market (it's insanely priced) wrap in a sheet of nori with avocado, cucumber, and sesame seeds. Dip in sesame oil mixed with a little sea salt and wasabi. I'd also like to find some coconut amino's for home use.

I think soy sauce is one of the big issues for me in going out for sushi. White rice is harmless enough but soy sauce has not only soy, but also wheat and massive quantities of sodium..

eta- Mark had a good post on the main page about white vs. brown rice a little while back. I forget the deets' (if anyone has the link, please share) but IIRC it basically said- go white.
    That sounds insanely delicious. How much does the tuna cost??

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I’ve always hated soy sauce so that’s never been an issue for me. I eat my sushi/sashimi with tons of ginger and I almost always ask for whatever spicy sauce they use, and I’m good.

Once at the bar I mentioned above the cooks made me a dish to welcome me (seriously kind Chinese people, I miss them and their bad English) and it was THE BEST SUSHI ROLL I EVER HAD. I asked them if they remember what it was but they have no idea.

I still cry about it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I’ve always hated soy sauce so that’s never been an issue for me. I eat my sushi/sashimi with tons of ginger and I almost always ask for whatever spicy sauce they use, and I’m good.

Once at the bar I mentioned above the cooks made me a dish to welcome me (seriously kind Chinese people, I miss them and their bad English) and it was THE BEST SUSHI ROLL I EVER HAD. I asked them if they remember what it was but they have no idea.

I still cry about it sometimes.
    I feel for you my brotha. No idea what was in it?

Kay Exeye is offline Senior Member
    white rice is better than brown rice in terms of primal diet.
    it depends on how clean you want to eat, often there are sauces in some rolls that i would personally stay away from.

and FYI the fishing of tunas is destroying the ocean and soon there will be none left. though i love the stuff i personally don't think it's worth the damage it is doing.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    If you want soy sauce you can buy wheat free tamari. No gluten then at least.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast