Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for women about PMS, cravings, and hunger page

Eva Lution is offline Member

Question Question for women about PMS, cravings, and hunger

I'm perimenopausal and hitting my first round of PMS since going primal. I have done fine up to this point; I would say I am 80/20 primal, with the 20% being dark chocolate, honey in my morning tea, 1 slice of sprouted bread in the morning, and "bad" oils in salad dressings on occasion. A little dairy if you consider that not to be primal (cream in tea, raw milk cheese once a week or so, Greek yogurt a couple times a week).

I have been moving right along, skipping some meals, doing an occasional IF, increasing my workouts, and feeling great. Have lost 12 pounds overall.

This morning I got up, found out I have gained a pound and a half in the past few days, and I was HUNGRY, and I mean hungry in a way I have not been hungry for weeks.

I ate my usual breakfast (2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 2 slices uncured bacon,sprouted bread w/butter, and tea with honey and cream). I work from home, so I worked through the morning.

Later I went to yoga, which usually kills my appetite for hours and I skip lunch those days, but came home starving. So I had a giant salad with the rest of a frittata from last night. Still hungry. Here is where it gets weird.

I have never made a primal dessert. I am not the kind to figure out a "primal cheat." But I did. Just spur of the moment. I put about a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon or so of almond butter in a little dish, heated them in the microwave, then added some shredded coconut. Used a square of dark chocolate to dip it out of the bowl. Almond Joy! And I feel much better.

But my question is, what the heck is going on? Anyone have Primal PMS? Will this pass? Has my IFing and meal skipping messed with me and come back to haunt me or is this something else? Should I go ahead and just listen to my hunger and eat more, eat fat (like the coconut oil and the almond butter), and see what happens?

I'm a little worried because I have felt great eating less frequently up to this point, but today it's like I have a tapeworm or something.

Thanks for any anecdotes, suggestions, or general wisdom from those who have been there, done that, and know more than I do.
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Do you mean, when you say "Primal PMS" that you are trying to stay primal but also experiencing PMS and having a hard time of it? Progesterone increases in the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle; this is intended to prepare the body for pregnancy and towards that end, elevated progesterone levels are known to increase hunger and sugar cravings, and also to increase insulin resistance, thereby increasing fat storage. So it's not surprising that you're having a harder time staying off the bad stuff during your PMS time.

I recently started supplementing estrogen and progesterone, and during the 12 days that I take progesterone, I notice a marked increase in morning hunger (I mean I wake up hungry and experience hunger pangs throughout the day), as well as cravings for sweets. Not fun.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

beach.bum is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Lution View Post
    Should I go ahead and just listen to my hunger and eat more, eat fat (like the coconut oil and the almond butter), and see what happens?

I'm a little worried because I have felt great eating less frequently up to this point, but today it's like I have a tapeworm or something.
    Sounds like PMS hunger to me. Happens to me EVERY month at that time...insatiable hunger, it seems like. I've been trying to add more fat on those days, as well as more protein. The pound and a half is almost certainly water weight associated with that time of the month, too, so I wouldn't sweat it. Just eat fatty, protein-packed foods--as much as makes you full--and see what happens!

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    +1 on all accounts. I was FAMISHED for days even though my routine hadn't changed. I finished up my cycle and I don't have any of the issues anymore.
    Yay. 3 more weeks of "normalcy" and then back to fighting the urges of disappearing into Dairy Queen and not coming out for days.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Me too. I am 48 and was using Pro-gest for my perimenopausal symptoms, but think I will stop and allow my metabolism to regulate with vlc/Primal foods.

Eva Lution is offline Member
    Thanks for the quick replies. I think I'm going to do what you all suggest and just avoid the scales, eat fat and protein, and try to ride it out. I have been just famished all day, but something tells me this is hormonal and I just have to deal with it. I also started working out more recently, so that might have something to do with it, too. I don't know, but I'm going to try and trust my body on this.
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Me three. Once a month (ovulation), I am famished and eat A LOT. Once a month, I have chocolate cravings. Got a bar of dark chocolate this morning (rare for me to do).... and, sure enough, about 4 hours later, guess who comes to visit?

Just stay away from the scale and give your body what it is wanting. Once my period actually starts, I hardly eat anything at all for a couple of days during the heaviest flow. I honor that as well, and don't eat if I'm not hungry; I do not force myself.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    yeah I've noticed that I am hungrier and need more sleep when I'm having my period, and sometimes in the week leading up to it.

Does anyone else have a higher incidence of diarrhea/looser stools during their period?

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Me too! The last few days I have been so hungry and also gained 1 1/2 kgs which does worry me as my scale weight usually stays the same. I shouldn't have weighed myself then it wouldn't have messed with my head. I just figured out though I am due for my period any day soon so that is probably why I am damn hungry all the time!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    yeah I've noticed that I am hungrier and need more sleep when I'm having my period, and sometimes in the week leading up to it.

Does anyone else have a higher incidence of diarrhea/looser stools during their period?
    Yes, it's hormonal.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast