Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Question for women about PMS, cravings, and hunger page 7

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    Hi ladies,
    OK so update here: I've been eating only non-starch paleo with no dairy which of course means low carb. My cravings have been non-existent (yay!) but my energy has slowly gone down hill and this period has come with CRUSHING fatigue amongst other miserable symptoms. I've had small urges the last 2 days for chocolate and sweet potatoes so today I indulged. 4 squares of 90% dark chocolate and a big ass sweet potato with globs of pastured butter. A-MAZ-ING. I feel SO much better. I feel like I'm coming back to life. I'm going to dose myself the next few days until the period is over and perhaps even afterwords:-) Lady needs her carbs.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

spacedreamer01 is offline Junior Member

Early Period

I'm glad I found this (and related) threads - I just started eating Paleo last Monday and by Wednesday I was starting to spot, by Sunday I had full on bleeding and pretty much just started my regular period, complete with cramps and everything. Glad to know others have had the same experience.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Hello...

I have always suffered from terrible PMS... cravings/bingeing, irritability, depression, anxiety, etc. I have taken prozac for it in the past... didn't help and made me eat even more. I basically just want to be left alone and not talk to anyone 10 days before and up until my period starts. I felt like it was getting better, mood wise, up until going primal. Going primal has definitely helped with my cravings and binges... this is my third cycle since starting and this is the first month I have felt cravings and have eaten a lot more dark chocolate than I normally would and my portions are bigger, but nothing compared to before... I mean nothing! That is great!!! I have noticed I feel a little crazy and extra depressed, though... not great. Overall, I would have to say it's improved. After reading through this thread I am a little bit worried about what's to come. I hope it doesn't get worse. I think what Barb explains makes a lot of sense... that are hormones haven't had this kind of nutrition in so long that they are oversensitive. Interesting info here and nice to have others to talk to about it. Thanks!

Isis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I don't know what the cause of worsening PMS when switching to primal but I have a guess. As we eat more fat, we suddenly are capable of producing more steroid hormones - and estrogen and progesterone are steroids. These symptoms sound like high levels of hormones are causing high levels of distress. And the body may be unused to such robust levels of reproductive hormones, so is hypersensitive to them. Just as during the onset of puberty we often had miserable and turbulent menstrual cycles - when our organs were responding to levels of hormones they were not used to, we may be going through a second puberty as our nutritional status improves.

I would bet that the the body and brain will get used to these higher levels and dial down the hyperreaction to them within a few cycles.....

just my guess!
    This must be true... I had such crazy pms last cycle. was never like this before primal! damn hormones.
    My primal journal
    25yo female, height 5'7"
    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I don't know what the cause of worsening PMS when switching to primal but I have a guess. As we eat more fat, we suddenly are capable of producing more steroid hormones - and estrogen and progesterone are steroids. These symptoms sound like high levels of hormones are causing high levels of distress. And the body may be unused to such robust levels of reproductive hormones, so is hypersensitive to them. Just as during the onset of puberty we often had miserable and turbulent menstrual cycles - when our organs were responding to levels of hormones they were not used to, we may be going through a second puberty as our nutritional status improves.

I would bet that the the body and brain will get used to these higher levels and dial down the hyperreaction to them within a few cycles.....

just my guess!
    I like that theory, as it means that really it ends up being a positive change.

I've never had PMS in my life, except for a few months after one of my pregnancies, but on primal I have been tired, moody and I fall off the wagon and eat sugary stuff every month. Not good!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually the opposite, pre-primal I would get bloated around the time of ovulation and then know when my period was coming due to moodiness, tired etc, since been primal I can never tell when its going to come as I feel great!

FrannyPro is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just to echo the sentiment, I'm *so* glad to have found this thread. I have been primal for over 6 weeks now and have had very mild sugar cravings (this coming from a true sugarholic). But these past 4 or 5 days pre-menstruation have been especially challenging (read: I want to bury my face in a big hot fudge sundae). I haven't given into SAD foods, but I have eaten more almond butter, full-fat coconut milk, fruit, and homemade whipped cream than usual. It's not ideal, but it is better than patronizing the 8 Baskin Robbins within a 4-block radius from my house (apparently, folks in the UAE love their ice cream).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567