Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for women about PMS, cravings, and hunger page 3

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Another "me, too!" on all accounts - but how do you guys ride out the sugar cravings? I've just gotten off a 4-day sugar bender that came on all of the sudden, spiraled out of control, and then suddenly last night, I felt like eating Primal again. I tried eating more fat and protein, but I just didn't want those foods - I wanted carbs. I was thinking if I gave in, the craving would go away, but of course, it just got worse. I don't want to even think about the number of calories I've put away, trying to keep the fat and protein up in an effort to pull myself out of the spiral, but still not wanting to stay away from the carbs.

This was my second cycle since going fully Primal - the first month I did have some sugar cravings, but more easily managed.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I just got off birth control ( about one month) this, currently, is my first period since being hormone free and my hormones are crazy. I seriously think I ate around 4,000cal (+) today. I usually eat under 1500cal a day. The cravings are horrible, I have no energy, bloated, mood swings, basically the whole nine yards. To an extend we are victims of our hormones. Given everything that is happening in my life plus the hormones etc. I figure I better just eat the sugar/grains and not feel like I am starving, constantly looking for something I can't find, and super grouchy. The alternative is going to jail for a mass killing spree.

Usually I feel really hungry around my period but its controllable. I don't feel too guilty about eating that extra piece of chocolate because we do loose a lot of vital nutrients through, well, the "process". But yeah, this is the worst cravings I have ever felt in my life this week. The other funny thing is that I haven't been feeling full. I have been eating, but not to the point I feel uncomfortable. I just don't feel full... 4000 cal later... still not full. I'm ok. I don't think I will eat more, but I don't feel full.

I picked the worse week in History to try and go primal. I made it a total of 4 days then well above happened. Going to try not to sweat it. Tomorrow is another day, and the cravings are getting better.
    the "hollow tube" effect!!

I know its hard, but you really will feel better if you eat just primal treats - no guilt at all and no "sugar hangover' on top of everything else. After all, those of us who do go thru this will have it every month, and thats just not long enough between "off primal" weeks to ever get the full effects of being primal??

Hang in there - next month may well be better as you will have been off those hormones in the birth control for a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    Another "me, too!" on all accounts - but how do you guys ride out the sugar cravings? I've just gotten off a 4-day sugar bender that came on all of the sudden, spiraled out of control, and then suddenly last night, I felt like eating Primal again. I tried eating more fat and protein, but I just didn't want those foods - I wanted carbs. I was thinking if I gave in, the craving would go away, but of course, it just got worse. I don't want to even think about the number of calories I've put away, trying to keep the fat and protein up in an effort to pull myself out of the spiral, but still not wanting to stay away from the carbs.

This was my second cycle since going fully Primal - the first month I did have some sugar cravings, but more easily managed.
    all I can think is "more primal carbs" and fat - preferably together. Never mind calories. Just eat good stuff. (berries and cream, sweet potatoes and butter - and for those of us off dairy at the mo - root veggies and sweet potatoes roated with lots of fat til caramelised). If we absolutely cannot resist carbs, then eating what we don't want (and then still having what we do) has to simply increase calorie intake. Not that I ever ever count them any more but you know what i mean.

BTW girls - any more dairy free ideas for primal carbing welcome from me as PMS will be due to get me in the next few days!

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    the "hollow tube" effect!!

I know its hard, but you really will feel better if you eat just primal treats - no guilt at all and no "sugar hangover' on top of everything else. After all, those of us who do go thru this will have it every month, and thats just not long enough between "off primal" weeks to ever get the full effects of being primal??

Hang in there - next month may well be better as you will have been off those hormones in the birth control for a bit longer.
    One of my problems is that I can't make any "primal treats". The ingredients are just non-existent where I live. Like I can't buy almond flour. I am getting coconut oil mailed to me currently. There are no "nut butters". I have a hard enough time trying to find chocolate that is over 50%. I have like the bare min. :S
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    One of my problems is that I can't make any "primal treats". The ingredients are just non-existent where I live. Like I can't buy almond flour. I am getting coconut oil mailed to me currently. There are no "nut butters". I have a hard enough time trying to find chocolate that is over 50%. I have like the bare min. :S
    ok, let me see. Frozen berries instead of fresh (and they make the cream like ice cream. Divine). The sweet potatoes with butter and a bit of aged chees - or even soured cream, or baked with the coconut oil when it comes. Thick cream whipped with a bit of no sugar cocoa and even stevia or honey ( a bbit). flaxbread with 85% choc and dates (i no longer make this as both husband and I can eat far too much of it - but believe me on its own or as a base for a Primal black forest gateau its wonderful). As you can see I have no probs being creative with dairy. Now without dairy is harder - and I'm on day 20 of whole 30 too so no *%% either. this one will be a doozy

Think of something sweet/carby you CAN have - there have to be alternatives to the "bad stuff".

One "tough love" comment coming - look away if easily offended

Be very sure you are not using the PMS etc as a "damn good excuse" to have what you crave!!! Cos in that case an excuse it what it is.

Just saying - for my own benefit as much as yours

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Yes. And I get constipated when I am ovulating. Though didn't notice it as much this month interestingly.

Ovulation baffles me. I don't know how it is conducive to conception to have ovulation pains and stomach cramps! That day is the one where I say sorry, too sore lol.
    That is funny, HorseWoman, because ovulation is the one time of the month when, like, even doorknobs look sexy to me.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    +1 to more good Primal food , more fat and I add things that I don't normally eat like sweet potatoes with dinner.

That said, I still binged three times during my PMS week. So, I am reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and have started supplementing with 5htp and l-tyrosine. I will know in about three weeks if these amino acids make any difference for me.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    +1 to more good Primal food , more fat and I add things that I don't normally eat like sweet potatoes with dinner.

That said, I still binged three times during my PMS week. So, I am reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and have started supplementing with 5htp and l-tyrosine. I will know in aout three weeks if these amino acids make any difference for me.
    i bought 5htp too and plan to try it out this time - I already take tyrosine most days (when working out) and it MAY have helped as I haven't wanted to binge.

Tawny is offline Senior Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    One "tough love" comment coming - look away if easily offended

Be very sure you are not using the PMS etc as a "damn good excuse" to have what you crave!!! Cos in that case an excuse it what it is.

Just saying - for my own benefit as much as yours
    Yeah, I think this is part of it for me

After my last post, I've been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that's it's probably a drop in estrogen that's causing my cravings. Knowing that, increasing good carbs, and not using the cravings as an excuse should help - at least that's my plan for next month.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    That is funny, HorseWoman, because ovulation is the one time of the month when, like, even doorknobs look sexy to me.
    Oh, well everything looks sexy lol, but the day of ovulation am just too sore to do anything about it! I swear I can feel the moment the egg busts it's way our, it gets gradually more sore until it reaches a peak for about half an hour, then settles to a residual discomfort that goes after a day or so.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast