Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal observations from my husband page

Pitter is offline Member

Primal observations from my husband

Primal Fuel
    My husband went along for the ride when I went primal since I do the shopping and cooking. I wanted to do a little experiement on expectations, so I didn't tell him about what I was doing beforehand. He's never heard of Primal, Paleo, grain-free or gluten. I did finally tell him that we were cutting out refined foods- that's the extent of his diet knowledge. So, with that introduction I share with you his primal observations. I'd love to hear your quotes and stories too!

On exercise: "I'm feeling a lot better lately. I seem to be able to recover faster and I'm not getting sore or injured."

On cravings: "With the way we've been eating lately, I feel like I need to be chewing on a piece of meat."

On health: "I havn't been having sinus headaches since we've been eating this way."

On lunch: "So I had the sandwich and I'm looking at it thinking I really just want what's in the sandwich and that the bread is just a holder. If I had another holder I wouldn't have to eat the bread. So I ate the bread and now I'm sleepy."

On me: "You seem to be sleeping better, I don't hear you wheezing at night and have to wonder if you're breathing okay. [I have asthma]. Your cheeks look so much better, they're nice and plump! Before they were all sunken and hollowed out I could drop quarters in there....[Okay! he goes on about how bad they were]

On rice: "No thanks, I'm scared."

On grains: "huh, it's so weird, we used to eat bread all the time, and now when we eat it it's like poison."

On the diet: "I don't ever want to go back to eating the way we used to. I don't miss the bread stuff at all. I don't even want to go out to eat or go to anyone's house."

On sleep: "I have so much more energy, it's like I can just keep going. Sometimes I almost forget that it's getting late."

On candy: "[coworker] offered me some candy, so I took a few pieces. I put the Tootsie Roll in my mouth and I just thought 'this isn't food' and I had to spit it out. I can't even believe that I'm saying this."

So, yeah primal is awsome for health even when you don't know that you're following the PB!
    Last edited by Pitter; 02-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Hilarious! Love it!

jenni is offline Member
    I overheard my sons talking one morning. One was telling the other that his taste must be changing since mom started making them eat different, because those toaster waffles don't taste good anymore. lol Yes!

(and all such things are finally gone from the house)

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't reached the point those things don't sound good and I doubt I will (breads, pizza, cakes, sweets, etc) I just am choosing not to eat them right now to see how my body reacts to it.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    My husband and 2 youngest daughters say stuff like that all the time. It's my oldest daughter that still fights me.
    Georgette

Pitter is offline Member
    ha, he just emailed me another one: "Last nights dinner was tasty. You are doing a great job keeping us off the crack." Crack=carbs.

@jenni- that's such a cool success! I remember LOVING those toaster waffles when I was a kid. I used to make sure each hole got filled with the fake, HFCS "maple syrup".

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    Crack=carbs.
    That's awesome. I'm glad you're doing such a good job with it! My bf is a carbaholic, I wish I could get him off that stuff. And I totally agree, once you get used to eating Primal, all your previous food is just terrible, especially the sweet things.

Keep on with the good work

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Nice list of quotes! My hubby also went along for the ride, although he knew what was happening. He's been a lifelong carb-oholic (he will freely admit it), and he didn't really need to lose weight, but he's trimmed up and added some nice muscles on PB. Between the two of us, I've always been the healthier eater while he's kind of eaten whatever he wants and never had the weight consequences.

The funny thing is that my sweet carb-oholic hubby now loves PB style eating. Even when we go out for a meal and he has an opportunity to have something not PB (like pancakes at a breakfast joint), he rarely makes that choice any more. I love it! He frequently gushes over the way I've been cooking and says he's "never eaten this well" in his life - meaning loving what he eats, not just knowing it's healthy for him. And his chronic sinus issues have "magically" improved!

Twibble is offline Senior Member

I don't think my fiance will be willing to go Primal until everything else in life settles down...and we all know the odds of that happening!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Pitter is offline Member
    @Twibble - you're right, life will never settle down, but that doesn't mean you can't try to make little changes and transition over time. Part of the reason I was so excited to post my H's observations is because he ISN'T health conscious, wouldn't want to go on a diet plan or have to make big changes, but he did it and it was so easy he didn't even know it!

At first I bought sprouted bread instead of the regular bread, and since it's not as tasty he naturally made himself fewer sandwiches. Since we eat better meals, we don't crave snack foods anymore, but at first I did rely on store-bought trail mix. He still eats quite a bit of fruit, but I'm not going to worry about it, because it's such a vast improvement over Coke and ice cream.

Make the changes that you enjoy and that make you feel better and don't worry about the rest. Even if you're only Primal 50/50 or something, it's better than nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast