Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Caffeine/coffee addiction and you" page

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member

"Caffeine/coffee addiction and you"

Primal Fuel
    The pink elephant in the Primal Blueprint is coffee/caffeine.

You say that low cortisol levels and terrific sleep are the ideal to strive for and yet the PB still advocates for the consumption of multiple cups of coffee a day. why?

Sure there are performance gains associated with caffeine - anarobic, mental focus etc. And yet there are many other drugs with the same benefits. And since when are performance enhancing drugs Primal?

Many people are of the understanding "I am not addicted - I can stop at any time" when it comes to coffee. The fact that they drink multiple cups a day, every day of course standing as ironic counterpart to this notion.

I realize that transitioning to the PB is very hard for obese or metabolically deranged people; however I don't think that allowing unhealthy habits like coffee addiction to continue unabated with the transition to a more healthy lifestyle is the right message to send.

Anyway I could write 5 pages on this subject - it would be great if you could address the pros and cons of persistent caffeine dependence on a blog post. I sound like a broken record on the forums.
    ad astra per aspera

krassi is offline Member
    Not to be an ass, but do you have any reliable source that says drinking coffee is unhealthy?

I am a coffee drinker myself. I can imagine that it could be unhealthy, being a stimulant and all, but I really haven't seen any evidence. Coffee doesn't effect my sleep either if I don't drink any after 1-2 pm.

I'm not sure if it really effects my performance though as I grow tolerance very quickly. If I haven't drank coffee in months and then start drinking it again, I get some definite performance benefits for the first few days/weeks and then I just normalize.

I might quit again soon.

denise is offline Senior Member
    I've read the book and Marks postings - I know he has a coffee with cream (and even sugar but hey, he can, no weight to lose and he certainly looks in shape to me) in the morning, I have never seen anywhere that PB still advocates for the consumption of multiple cups of coffee a day.

I think its allowed in moderation, maybe as part of the "20%" that can make this WOE so liveable with for people?

Don't do any caffeine myself other than what is in the odd bit of 85% choc, so no axe to grind either way.

For some people, coffee is a deal breaker I think, in which case, a couple of coffees a day as a trade off for far superior eating and workout plans seems, well, not completely unreasonable to me??

Maybe you are just an all or nothing person.

Oh and I LOVE being someone who is called "deranged".

(None taken)
    Last edited by denise; 02-22-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have a cup or two everyday. If I abruptly stopped, I would probably get the usual caffeine withdrawal headache. I just enjoy drinking it, and I have for years. Seems to be considered reasonably healthy in moderation, so I don't see the problem.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Where does the PB advocate several cups of coffee a day? I have seen Mark say he has a cup of coffee with cream but nothing about several cups. I know that I have several cups simply because I see no detriment between drinking and not drinking coffee. If you see an issue with drinking it then stop doing it. If you don't drink coffee then what is your concern?

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    PB page 129 says "Coffee is fine in moderation, as long as you avoid using caffeine as a crutch to raise energy levels." The 2nd paragraph says "Research is mixed on the effects of caffeine on the body...." and then he goes on to explain several studies.

I'm not giving up my coffee. We brew half-caf and I have about 2 cups per day with coconut milk in it, no sugar. I'm not giving it up. I drink it only in the mornings (done before 10 a.m.), and it doesn't impact my sleep. It's my morning "comfort ritual" more than anything, and on a frigid morning like today, it's very welcomed!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to ignore your anti-coffee crusade - I'm out buying fresh roasted beans for my French Press. When you can actually demonstate that a couple of cups of morning coffee is compromising my health I'll listen. Maybe.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think The Fast Cat confuses having one or two cups a day with flat out addiction.

I have personally lowered my consumption to half a cup in the morning, mostly as a vehicle for heavy cream. I do think many people are addicted and should cut back.

Want an energy booster in the mornings, pre-workout? Jump some rope or something.

I'm NOT anti-coffee by any means but I do kinda agree with TFC that maybe some people aren’t realizing that they in fact have built a tolerance to the drug (caffeine) and just see their daily cups as simply a part of life. I think its interesting to jolt your system by removing what’s comfortable from time to time and see just how much you depend on it, if at all.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    PB page 129 says "Coffee is fine in moderation, as long as you avoid using caffeine as a crutch to raise energy levels."
    raise your hand if you drink coffee to raise your energy levels

-_-

I am a coffee drinker myself. I can imagine that it could be unhealthy, being a stimulant and all, but I really haven't seen any evidence
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Harmful+effects+of+caffeine

I'm not giving up my coffee
    of course you aren't -- you are addicted.

I'm not giving it up.
    you already said that.

When you can actually demonstate that a couple of cups of morning coffee is compromising my health I'll listen. Maybe.
    "When you can actually demonstate that a couple of slices of toast in the morning is compromising my health I'll listen. Maybe." No thanks; you know what to Google, not in it to help the actively ignorant and apathetic, just those who don't know any better :/

I have a cup or two everyday. If I abruptly stopped, I would probably get the usual caffeine withdrawal headache. I just enjoy drinking it, and I have for years. Seems to be considered reasonably healthy in moderation, so I don't see the problem.
    you should try replacing it with decaf; same enjoyment no addiction, no raised cortisol levels for the next 12 hours.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-22-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

PrimalCon New York
    I drink coffee because I enjoy it! I have one 16oz cup in the morning, and generally, that's it. There are days I simply don't have it, but I love the taste, the aroma, and I find it very comforting as a hot beverage. Since starting PB I certainly don't need it for my energy levels! I probably could switch to decaf and be ok, but traditionally I've found it harder to digest than regular coffee (something about how it's processed to remove the caffeine, maybe it's not an issue anymore)...I dunno, I'm with the folks above that want proof that it's actually damaging something!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast