Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Caffeine/coffee addiction and you" page 3

krassi is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Say what?

A lot of these studies you posted say that caffeine isn't harmful at all, some are even saying that it's beneficial...

I'm sure there have been studies that say coffee is harmful, but then there have also been studies saying coffee isn't, and that in fact it is healthy. This means the jury is still out on coffee, nothing's been proven either way, and you're making statements that have no scientific ground at all.

Btw I'm sure that my ground-on-the-spot coffee machine produces healthier coffee than you can find at Starbucks.

Yes, caffeine is the most consumed addictive substance on the planet.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by This means the jury is still out on coffee, nothing's been proven either way, and you're making statements that have no scientific ground at all.
    This means the jury is still out on coffee, nothing's been proven either way, and you're making statements that have no scientific ground at all.
    the jury is still out on aspartame, MSG, High Fructose corn syrup etc. Ergo - eat up!

Which statements am I making that have no scientific ground? That the caffeine inherent in coffee is addictive (you agree with me on this) or that it increases cortisol? Here's a great resource on the latter. Or maybe my assertion that coffee is the shit-colored-juice of hell! Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that last one!

Btw I'm sure that my ground-on-the-spot coffee machine produces healthier coffee than you can find at Starbucks.
    How do you go about proving that?
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-22-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

krassi is offline Member
    Forget about it, I'm not gonna argue with you about this.

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    Why the crusade? A starbucks truck run over your mother?

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    I'll admit I like TFC anti-caffiene rants. If nothing else they do make me take a second look at my coffee habit. I say habit because I drink a sh*tload of it. Am I addicted? Probably. Do I care? Not really, but it wouldn't hurt me to cut back. (I didn't care when I ate donuts, pie, and icecream either but cutting those out made me feel a hell of a lot better). I do drink coffee at times to boost energy levels. Other times I drink it because it tastes freaking good. Perhaps I'll try a decaf during the tastes good moments and see how that works out.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Paleobird Guest
    Hey TFC,
    Do I agree with you that caffeine is a nasty evil substance that is doing a lot of harm to a lot of people? Yes.

Do either of us have the right to shove that opinion down the throats of everyone else? No.

You're acting like a douche kiddo. Give it a rest.

shrona is offline Member
    Yes, this would be an interesting blog post! However, TFC, like krassi, I am looking for some scientific basis for your conclusion that coffee should not be consumed at all, here are some quotes from your “Good resource on studies/findings” link:

“Men who regularly consume caffeinated drinks have a lower risk of PD than do nondrinkers” (where PD=Parkinson’s Disease)
    “Contrary to common belief, the published literature provides little evidence that coffee and/or caffeine in typical dosages increases the risk of infarction, sudden death or arrhythmia.”
    For women, “The data suggest a strong inverse association between coffee intake and risk of suicide.”
    “Although these data seem to indicate a convergence of risk factors (cholesterol, smoking, alcohol) in coffee drinkers, no increase in the prevalence of cardiovascular events was found in coffee drinkers in comparison with non drinkers.”

The only articles citing negative effects were those focused on people w/ glaucoma or existing hypertension, as one of the abstracts concludes “Over many years of follow-up, coffee drinking is associated with small increases in blood pressure, but appears to play a small role in the development of hypertension.”

In terms of the cortisol response, check out the results of this study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...edRA&linkpos=1
    I will quote it here, so you don’t have to follow the link, “After 5 days of caffeine abstinence, caffeine challenge doses caused a robust increase in cortisol across the test day (p < .0001). In contrast, 5 days of caffeine intake at 300 mg/day and 600 mg/day abolished the cortisol response to the initial 9:00 AM caffeine dose, although cortisol levels were again elevated between 1:00 PM and 7:00 PM (p = .02 to .002) after the second caffeine dose taken at 1:00 PM. Cortisol levels declined to control levels during the evening sampling period.”

To me this means, if you are concerned about cortisol, but you love coffee, limit it to a serving containing 300 mg of caffeine in the morning.

I (and apparently a few others ) take no stock in links to google searches, and the one web page you have provided actually seems neutral (on the verge of pro) on coffee drinking. However, I do agree that those trying to reverse metabolic derangement should aim to get their cortisol levels down, and elimination of coffee would be a step in the right direction (I still don't think it's a huge piece of the puzzle unless you have some real data or scientific basis for us.) Also, I personally will quit coffee throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding.

I will conclude with a tidbit I found interesting (and depressing) while briefly doing some scholar.googling, it just might send you over the edge. From the review article “Is Coffee a Functional Food?” (spoiler alert, authors Dorea and da Costa decide that it is), “Sugar, coffee and tortilla accounted for one-third of all items mentioned in a dietary survey of poor urban Guatemalan toddlers (Krause et al. 1998).”

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Coffee has antioxydants.
    Yerba Mate has Vitamins: A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5 and minerals like Calcium and Magnesium.
    Green Tea has vitamin K and antioxydants.

I've read articles that claim that both Tea and Coffee can leach minerals from your bones. Of these 3 choices, Yerba Mate is probably the healthiest. (I like all three but tend to consume coffee more).

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I'm addicted to coffee because I can't afford cocaine.

I have quit coffee several times but each time go back to it because its such a social lubricant today. Everyone hangs out at the cafe. When I am working long hours I do need the energy boost to keep me going and keep me from falling asleep.

I do happen to think coffee is bad for you, but way down the bottom on the list of bad things (maybe just thats may addiction talking).

When I finally get myself 100% paleo I will see about ditching coffee. It'll be the last of my 20% I get rid of.

bix
    bix is offline Senior Member
    *step on librarian soapbox*
    5 minutes of research on google (and/or wikipedia) is not conclusive evidence of anything, except what most people are looking at and what most people are believing. i can find a study on google right this second that says we all need to eat boatloads of whole grains so we don't have heart attacks.
    *steps off*

aside from that. who cares? most of modern life is terrible for your health!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast