Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Caffeine/coffee addiction and you" page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    One thing that irrefutably sucks about coffee: coffee breath.

Tea breath on the other hand, quite nice. Honestly, though TFC is coming off a bit strong, going no-coffee or decaf isn’t a bad idea at all. If you notice you’re really slouching, there’s something very wrong with that. If you can’t achieve natural levels of proper energy without coffee you may have some adrenal fatigue issues to address.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    "actively ignorant and apathetic!" Seriously?
    F*&% you. I think that's the most appropriate possible response.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalknitter View Post
    I drink coffee because I enjoy it! I have one 16oz cup in the morning, and generally, that's it. There are days I simply don't have it, but I love the taste, the aroma, and I find it very comforting as a hot beverage. Since starting PB I certainly don't need it for my energy levels! I probably could switch to decaf and be ok, but traditionally I've found it harder to digest than regular coffee (something about how it's processed to remove the caffeine, maybe it's not an issue anymore)...I dunno, I'm with the folks above that want proof that it's actually damaging something!
    If you are of the opinion that withdrawl headaches stemming from chemical addiction in your brain, increased cortisol, caffeine resistance in and of themselves are not excellent reasons to avoid caffeine intake than I am really wondering why you've decided to ditch grains and sugar and yet still remain tightly gripped to your 16 oz mug a day. That is a lot of caffeine - 302 ml
    ad astra per aspera

krassi is offline Member
    TheFastCat: I don't think anyone is trying to argue that caffeine isn't addicting. It is, and very much so, that is a fact. Caffeine cessation brings about withdrawal symptoms in most people for a few days.

But I haven't seen any evidence for coffee being unhealthy. Doing a google search for "harmful effects of caffeine" doesn't bring about anything useful. Just because a random article you found through google says something is unhealthy doesn't mean it's true. You can probably find just as many articles through the keywords "beneficial effects of caffeine". Still doesn't prove anything.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    We did this topic to death a couple of weeks ago: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...e-Do-You-Drink

I'll only add that I've never had decaf that tastes as good as regular.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krassi View Post
    But I haven't seen any evidence for coffee being unhealthy. Doing a google search for "harmful effects of caffeine" doesn't bring about anything useful. Just because a random article you found through google says something is unhealthy doesn't mean it's true. You can probably find just as many articles through the keywords "beneficial effects of caffeine". Still doesn't prove anything.
    * Barrett-Connor, E., & Chang, J.C., & Edelstein, S.L. (1994). "Coffee-Associated Osteoporosis Offset by Daily Milk Consumption." Journal of the American Medical Association, 271(4): 280-283.
    * CARE Study Group. (2008). "Maternal Caffeine Intake During Pregnancy and Risk of Fetal Growth Restriction: A Large Prospective Observational Study." BMJ, 337: a2332.
    * CTV News. (22 January 2008). "Caffeine Doubles Miscarriage Risk, Study Finds." CTV.ca.
    * Ensminger, A.H. (1994). Foods and Nutrition Encyclopedia. CRC Press.
    * Grodstein, Goldman, M.B., Ryan, L., & Cramer, D.W. (1993). "Relation of Female Infertility to Consumption of Caffeinated Beverages." American Journal of Epidemiology, 137(12): 1353-1360.
    * Kaslow, J., MD. (n.d.). “Health Issues Associated with Coffee and Caffeine.” Drkaslow.com.
    * Kerr et al. (1993). "Effect of Caffeine on the Recognition of and Responses to Hypoglycemia in Humans." Annals of Internal Medicine, 119(8): 799-804.
    * Kirchheimer, S. (Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD, 2004). “Coffee, the New Health Food?” WebMD.
    * Kovacs, B., MS, RD. (Reviewed by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, 2007). “Caffeine.” MedicineNet.
    * Mathur, R., MD. (Reviewed by William C. Shiel, Jr., MD, FACP, FACR, 2005). “Hypoglycemia.” MedicineNet.
    * ScienceDaily. (15 June 2007). "How Coffee Raises Cholesterol." ScienceDaily.com.
    * WebMD in Collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic. (2003; edited by Cynthia Dennison Haines, MD, on 1 April 2005). “Stretch Marks.” MedicineNet.

Here's a good resource on studies/findings

that took me a single Google search, 5 minutes and two links off of the front search page. If you are looking for reasons to continue drinking coffee you don't need one - if you like the ritual and are aware, accepting of the negative side effects of its consumption I have nothing left to harp about. But I am trying to spread the word to those who don't know any better which is why I'd like Mark to do a post on coffee and the steamy tendrils of addiction.

I don't know if its different in Iceland Krassi - but here in America we have Starbucks, coffee shops etc about everywhere. In downtown denver there are literally 10 starbucks locations in about a 2 mile square radius -- what does that say about the demand for the drug they are selling? in fact Starbucks just recently introduced a new 30oz drink size. There is a coffee machine in my office that is constantly brewing coffee to keep up with demand. American culture has latched on to the stimulant of caffeine in part due to the culture of our work ethic. Many people are exhausted when they wake up and depend on coffee to wake up and mentally function.
    ad astra per aspera

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I've actually switched back to caffeinated coffee in the mornings, in lieu of decaf, because I'm concerned about the processing of coffee to remove the caffeine. I know there are water-decaffeinated options, but what else do they leach out in the process? I guess I decided to go more natural rather than less. I do still drink decaf in the evenings.

I also drink caffeinated green tea (all decaf versions taste of fish to me!).
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

handgallop is offline Member
    I dunno. I do several things that are decidedly non-primal... because frankly, life is short, and there are things around to consume that I really, really enjoy. Coffee is one of them. Am I addicted? Sure. If others have a problem with that, that's really their problem.

I have a once-per-week "life changing" hot cocoa too. Oh no! I probably shouldn't even post here.

I guess the way I figure it is that I could go 100% "primal" or paleo or what have you. I could exercise perfectly, never cheat, only do "real" tabata sprints (or whatever the heck they're called) - but seriously, I think there's a point at which all this can become obsession. In my world, there is a balance between what is good for you and what is enjoyable. A lot of the time, those two things can coexist just fine (bacon, eggs, and avocados are super enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. So is doing deadlifts.) Sometimes though, those two things are different. And frankly, whether I live 70 years, or 100 years, I would rather not do it by being obsessively dogmatic about everything I consume and do.

I enjoy coffee. For more than the stimulant effect. I enjoy ritual and routine, and enjoy the process of making it, sitting on the couch with it while snuggling with my kitten, and taking those few minutes to enjoy something warm before rushing off to work. I enjoy the taste more than tea. So what if it's "non primal" or cavemen wouldn't have consumed it?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handgallop View Post
    I dunno. I do several things that are decidedly non-primal... because frankly, life is short, and there are things around to consume that I really, really enjoy. Coffee is one of them. Am I addicted? Sure. If others have a problem with that, that's really their problem.

I have a once-per-week "life changing" hot cocoa too. Oh no! I probably shouldn't even post here.

I guess the way I figure it is that I could go 100% "primal" or paleo or what have you. I could exercise perfectly, never cheat, only do "real" tabata sprints (or whatever the heck they're called) - but seriously, I think there's a point at which all this can become obsession. In my world, there is a balance between what is good for you and what is enjoyable. A lot of the time, those two things can coexist just fine (bacon, eggs, and avocados are super enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. So is doing deadlifts.) Sometimes though, those two things are different. And frankly, whether I live 70 years, or 100 years, I would rather not do it by being obsessively dogmatic about everything I consume and do.

I enjoy coffee. For more than the stimulant effect. I enjoy ritual and routine, and enjoy the process of making it, sitting on the couch with it while snuggling with my kitten, and taking those few minutes to enjoy something warm before rushing off to work. I enjoy the taste more than tea. So what if it's "non primal" or cavemen wouldn't have consumed it?
    You have a KITTEN? That's like a caveman cuddling up with a tiger cub. Not primal. Bad bad person.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hows your take on black tea fast cat, i quit coffee when i started primal simply because i took it with 6 sugars havent had any cravings since that day

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast