Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat consumption leads to osteoperosis? page

MrsToon is offline Senior Member

Meat consumption leads to osteoperosis?

Primal Fuel
    WTF? From an aquaintance on Facebook: "I agree that factory farming is repugnant and it's products should not be consumed for so many reasons. But that's not the only reason to limit meat consumption. It is highly acidic, which is one of the single biggest factors that causes inflammation. It also causes and accelerates osteoporosis. The saying is "eat a stake, break a bone", because the acidity of meat actually causes calcium to leach from your bones. The same is true of dairy products. To call animal products "nutrient dense" misses the fact that the nutrients are not in the form that's most assimilable and digestible to the human body. Every nutrient in the meat and dairy... protein, iron, calcium, etc... is found in vegetable sources that are more assimilable by the body. Also, meat and dairy are NOT the healthy fats like avocados, flax seeds, chia, and nuts."

Have any of you ever come across this line of reasoning? Where is he getting this? I have asked for sources, but I know y'all will have some info . . . thanks!

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    He is almost exactly, entirely wrong. Impressively wrong even.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Why not ask him to provide references to support his claims?

Similarly you can provide references to show that saturated fats are innocent:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/20....full.pdf+html
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/20....full.pdf+html
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

slacker is offline Senior Member
    It's part of the ve8an party line. They get around meeting your protein requirement without animal products by believing that the orthodox ideas about protein needs are vastly overstated. You can get everything you need from beans and rice and cornbread. Been there. Done that. Got the extra 40 lbs for it.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Oh dear, somebody get word to those poor Inuit people before they all develop a terrible stoop!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    In this interview with Jimmy Moore, Dr. Rosedale points out bone strength and bone rigidity are not the same thing. Bone strength is a function of the protein matrix of the bone. Bone rigidity is due to the calcification. Bone rigidity is what prevents us from flopping around like Gumby under our own weight. He pointed out that babies have incredibly strong bones. You can take an infant and bend his arms ever which way because the bones haven't been calcified. The bones won't break because they are strong.

Osteoporosis is due to weak bones, not the lack of rigidity. This is caused by sugar metabolism. Your body will catabolize protein from your lean body mass into sugar if it's not able to burn fat for fuel. If your friend is worried about leached nutrients, he should worry more about grains. My latest dental cleaning had the least calcium deposits in years, and were easy for my dentist to pluck off. In the past, he'd have to literally use a jack hammer to get them off. I'd like to think cutting out the cereal grains and brown rice has had a lot to do with the improvements.

75% of avocado's fat content is monounsaturated
    50% of lard is monounsaturated fat
    42% of tallow is monounsaturated fat

From a 100g serving of each of the above, you'll still come out with more monounsaturated fats from either lard or tallow than you will from avocado. I like all three. Personally, I wouldn't argue back. Just smile and move on to something else.

canio6 Guest
    Sorry, but I am to the point now that when someone says 'meat, fat, eggs, whatever is bad for you' I just say, "Good. Don't eat it. All the more for me." This is probably why I have no vegetarian friends. >.>

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Sorry, but I am to the point now that when someone says 'meat, fat, eggs, whatever is bad for you' I just say, "Good. Don't eat it. All the more for me." This is probably why I have no vegetarian friends. >.>
    The reason I have no vegetarian friends is - I got sick of bending over backwards when they came for a meal with me, going out of my way to make vegetarian food for them which was interesting and tasty. Then, when I was invited back - where was my steak, or roast, or sausages??!!

It was always a one way effort - until I started realising that they gave me their standard fare, so that is what I started to do. Result - I never have to cook veggie food any longer!

And if meat is acid forming - surely the veg eaten with it will counter act that? Much of what I eat must be alkali base, so what is the problem?

Does anyone have any real, researched evidence on this point?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I agree with slacker--it's the vegan party line, which is ubiquitous.

I'm 69 and hypothyroid, and my last bone scan showed a slight move to osteopenia in my hips. So I've done a lot of research on all this, and there's NO evidence whatsoever of these claims. One of the biggest problems is the low level of Vt D among many younger people who don't get tested for it. The bones of old age are formed in youth and middle age, and Dr. William Davis is one of the few who point out that in addition to sufficient calcium, it's critical to have a good level of Vit.D as well.

And, yes, the acid forming of meat eating is balanced by eating vegetables, as the previous poster mentioned. The meat doesn't operate in the body independent of other foods!

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    ...The saying is "eat a stake, break a bone"....
    (sic)

Oh yeah, that well known saying! Very famous that saying... (rolls eyes) You know, don't bother with your sources or your peer-reviewed findings, that saying pretty much proves you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast