Thread: Omega 3's and Omega 6's page

Muldoon Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Can anyone explain the differences between omega 3s and omega 6s? I guess I am also wondering what a good relationship/ratio might be, and what repercussions might occur from being out of balance either heavy on 3's or 6's. Are there any appreciable signs that one might feel while being out of balance?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Im a nutritional science major, and im just gonna take this from a piece im writing right now. Here ya go:

PUFA are sources of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. For this reason, when consuming a source higher in omega-6s it might be wise to supplement with fish oil to balance the omega-3/6 ratio. A ratio of 4:1 or lower omega 6 to 3 is highly recommended for a reduction of chance of inflammation, chronic disease, depression, and obesity. Currently, the average Americans stands at around a ratio of 30:1 omega 6 to 3. Starting to see why our health is declining? With that said, always go for natural sources of food, and stick to cooking with olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil. As long as you stick to the healthy foods outlined in this guide, you will not have to micromanage things such as your omega 6/3 ratio. I know as you read this it sounds like it might be too hard to do, but it will all balance out if your diet (Read: eating pattern) is in line.

Fights pain and inflammation: Omega-3s have been known to seek out and destroy inflammation resulting in less pain and a healthier you.

Fights ADD/ADHD: Recent studies and treatment with fish oil show improved focus in patients with these disorders, along with a greater quality of life.

Better Cardiovascular Health: Lowers LDL, VLDL, triglycerides, raises HDL… enough said? Your veins and arteries will be asking for more. Also Fish Oil has been shown to break down clots before complete formation, meaning less chance of heart disease and strokes.

Fights breast, colon, and prostate Cancer: Recent research has shown that fish oil not only stops excessive cell growth, but causes cell death in cancerous cells. Whoever though death could be a good thing?

Brain Food: Fish oil has been shown over and over again to support memory and brain function. Omega-3s have actually been found in developing brains. Want to get smarter quickly? Eat some omega- 3s.

Hello Happiness: Studies show that fish oil can fight symptoms of depression and sadness.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Hope that helps

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

jgriff Guest

read the Primal Blueprint....

Muldoon Guest

Thanks guys, and EGY that was awesome. Sounds like that will turn out to be a pretty good paper. And i did read the primal blueprint and mark's thoughts about 3's vs 6's. Guess I just skimmed it the first time through. Just read it again and basically understand it from a cognitive standpoint. Does anyone have a before and after story with relation to omega 3's? Is there a good (cheap) supplement to get all three ALA,EPA, and DHA in one place?

grandma is offline Member

Fish oil is the usual go-to supplement for n-3. Generally a good idea is to avoid PUFA in general. Avoid seeds and animals that eat them (birds). Eat your veggies and animals that eat veggies (ruminants).

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

klcarbaugh Guest

I take krill oil. It is the best becasue it won't oxidize as easily.