Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Sleeping page

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member

Trouble Sleeping

Primal Fuel
    I have been having issues getting quality sleep lately which I am sure is more stress related than diet.

I was happy to see this article on Yahoo today (ignore the oatmeal and toast section) http://health.yahoo.net/caring/5-foo...help-you-sleep

Apparently, Cherries have melatonin which is a great natural remedy for sleep but sometimes makes me groggy the next day if I take the supplements. I'm going to try some cherries. This is a double dose of good news for a fruit and sleep lovin' primal gal. Thought I'd share.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Have you been sleeping in a completely dark room and eliminating caffeine before bedtime? Also if your sleep times are pretty regular (wake up around the same time and sleep around the same time) then it definitely will help. Doing a good amount of physical activity every day will help as well just as long as it isn't too close to bed time. If you are looking for some pretty good supplements I know magnesium and Natural Calm has done wonders for a lot of people looking to have a better nights sleep.

I just read your primal journal and I see you work a lot from home. I also work from home and work for me is very cyclical. When it gets busy I work 60+ hour weeks and I have a lot on my mind. It is important to keep things in perspective and to take breaks. I break up my work day with long walks to clear my mind or interval training. I try not to work too late so I don't carry on any of my stress into the bedroom. Also try to keep your office and laptop/texting away from your bedroom as much as you can.
    Last edited by Balance; 02-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    If you aren't averse to supplements, I've found that taking 400mg of L-theanine before bed has given me excellent sleep for the past couple of weeks (every night since I started it... which is a record.) I typically have really bad, intractable insomnia which has some sort of hormonal component - meaning I sleep better for the first two weeks of my cycle, then the second two weeks it's a crap shoot with typically at least a week of being unable to get to sleep no matter what I do (unless I take an Ambien.) I was taking 200mg L-theanine (along with melatonin) and it didn't seem to change anything. The 400mg seems to make it possible for me to fall asleep easily, sleep well, and wake up feeling rested.

I'd imagine as with any other supplement your mileage may vary, but it's a miracle for me so I thought I'd suggest it

Best of luck!

Lo

Hi Balance, thank you for your response and advice! I think I will try Natural Calm and see if it has less of a 'hangover' effect for me. And some cherries too

My room is a dungeon - quiet and very dark and I keep it clutter/laptop/TV/Phone free. I have cut out all caffeine except for coffee in the morning and I do get a good amount of exercise. I really do think that it is some personal 'stuff' I'm going through on top of the work - my mind can't slow down enough to fall asleep. You are right - when you work from home, it's just too had to shut down. Especially if I don't have plans, I've already worked out, house is clean, I've eaten dinner... I wind up working again. I am trying to make it a point to give myself at least 2 hours between finishing work and going to bed.

Hopefully, the natural calm, my getting fully back on the wagon w/ PB and being aware of my work/life balance issue, things will get better...

ooh.. thanks to you as well, Lolov. I just googled L-Theanine and am digging this from Wikipedia "Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[5] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress[6], and improves cognition and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[7]"
    Reduce stress... ding ding ding!

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Could you be in ketosis? I have heard it can mess with your sleep patterns.
    Not that I'm adverse to L-Theanine Good stuff.
    Calm the f**k down.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think you have some great suggestions. I really like Mg for sleep.

It doesn't sound like this is the issue for you, but just in case I wanted to add that my sleep improved a lot when I completely cut out caffeine - even got rid of decaf coffee. It was a bummer to do, but my sleep got a lot better. I also recently added that Lux program to my computer that changes the lighting as in gets later. It is a little odd at first, but I do think I am sleeping better since the.

As far as the racing mind thing goes, sometimes it is helpful to make a list of things that are on your mind right before bed along with a "next step" that you can take for each thing.

tcrowe is offline Junior Member
    I have found that if I am on the internet of watch TV up until I try to go to bed that I have a difficult time sleeping. I always shut everything down at least 30 minutes before bedtime so that I can adjust to the nighttime. It has helped me, just my 2 cents.

http://www.twobargarage.com

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_morgan24 View Post
    Hi Balance, thank you for your response and advice! I think I will try Natural Calm and see if it has less of a 'hangover' effect for me. And some cherries too

My room is a dungeon - quiet and very dark and I keep it clutter/laptop/TV/Phone free. I have cut out all caffeine except for coffee in the morning and I do get a good amount of exercise. I really do think that it is some personal 'stuff' I'm going through on top of the work - my mind can't slow down enough to fall asleep. You are right - when you work from home, it's just too had to shut down. Especially if I don't have plans, I've already worked out, house is clean, I've eaten dinner... I wind up working again. I am trying to make it a point to give myself at least 2 hours between finishing work and going to bed.

Hopefully, the natural calm, my getting fully back on the wagon w/ PB and being aware of my work/life balance issue, things will get better...
    You are 100% right about it being hard to shut down when work is readily available. I have my own small business and the more I work the more I get paid and it is sometimes hard to resist especially when you have everything done at home like you said. (clean house, dinner cooked etc.) My main problem is if I do take on less work then the companies I work with will find another vendor that will handle the volume. So I try to be as efficient as possible while trying to maintain my sanity. It is tough but for right now it has to be done. Luckily for me I am in the slow part of the season so I am taking much needed breaks. But you are absolutely right about needing a few hours of relaxation before going to bed.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Uncledave is offline Member
    I support the other recommendations for magnesium supplementation. It has done wonders for my sleep.
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast