Thread: Moderately long distance day hikes page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Moderately long distance day hikes

Shop Now
    Hi all. Still new to PB and looking for a few suggestions. Any suggestions for what to eat on long distance hikes? Say 15 miles 4000 ft vertical. I've been on <50g of carbs for about 10 days now and feeling ok (for the most part). Did a 10 mile hike with 2500 vertical today on ~30g carbs and was a little slower than normal but ok. Just looking for ideas - not too thrilled about bringing in carbs b/c I've been doing so well without them!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    after getting used to IF, i don't bring food with me on hikes at all...unless i know they are going to last more than 8-9 hours. but, if i do bring food, it's usually nuts and beef jerky...i'd rather keep my weight low or carry extra water. a little dark chocolate makes a nice summit treat too.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    I go on long hikes with friends -- whilst they take lollies and garbage -- I load up on beef jerky, HB eggs and canned tuna.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Jerky and nuts would be my first choice, though honestly, if I'm going to be out less than 6 hours I don't usually bother to take anything. Cheese might be a fair choice in cold weather. Pemmican if you can stomach it (I'm not a fan). Any chunk of leftover meat. Fresh basil and a garlic clove (flies hate basil; skeeters hate garlic - both will aromatize your sweat after a bit of nomming and effort).

Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Fresh basil and a garlic clove (flies hate basil; skeeters hate garlic - both will aromatize your sweat after a bit of nomming and effort).
    It was -10 at the summit yesterday... but come this summer I'm definitely going to try this!

Thanks for the suggestions. It makes me happy that bacon is always the answer

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Nothing like taking a break in the middle of your hike, building a small fire and cooking some bacon! Only thing better is adding some greens or berries you foraged along the way.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    unless i'm out all day, just water and some chocolate covered macadamias. i don't know if that helps.