Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What's in your 20% (if anything)? page 7

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yeah, 20% includes "ingredients over which i have no control br i'm not going to stress over" but does not include "I went out for pasta!"
    +1 Exactly. I don't understand the idea that I can plan for cheats. Like "I'll be good all week and then I can have pizza on the weekend." That makes it like some kind of diet regimen that as soon as I lose enough weight I can cheat more. No, this is a new way of eating for me - for life. Like Zoebird points out sometimes you can't be primal, but that is different than planning "cheats."

I am sure that I am not 100%, but I aim for 100% making the best choice I can make at any given time.

Of course, if some kind of global cataclysm comes and all that is available is cream of wheat drizzled with canola oil, then I will happily eat that to keep body and soul together.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    My 20% is crappy chicken and things cooked in veg oil or wrapped in a bread once in a while.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I don't allow myself 20%...err that's not true. I still use a teaspoon of sugar on my 12 oz. coffee.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Rice, black beans, chickpeas, lentils (I soak and pressure cook my beans), gluten-free oats, fruit juice cut with soda water, chocolate whole milk, haagen dasz, honey & brown rice syrup, sourdough bread
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 06-25-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I have to add to my 20% some things I consume quite often but not in an important quantity :
    Sugar Free Syrups (with Stevia extracts mostly, but it also contains some chemicals), and some diet cokes when I'm with friends.
    Is it THAT harmful ?
    I mean, it doesn't seem to have any effect on my weight and body comp. The rest of my diet is as spot on as I could afford.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    Rice about every other week (or maybe once a week depending on what I'm cooking)
    Corn (once a week)
    1 or 2 diet sodas a day... if that much.
    Store bought salad dressing. Too lazy right now to make my own stuff heh.

Some other random items that I have every once in a while....

sugar free chocolate
    sugar free pudding (made w/ whole milk)
    peanut butter w/ honey
    kidney beans whenever I make chili
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was thinking about my 20% today, as I have a head cold and just feel like poop.

I'm usually about 95% primal (occasional wine/whiskey, 87% dark chocolate, aged cheese & cream in my coffee), so here's why/what I use my other 15% for:
    Feeling under the weather: I had honey lemon clove tea (AWESOME on my throat!) this morning, and right now I'm eating a halal plate (not primal: the small scoop of yellow rice [which I won't eat all of] and probably the "white" sauce, and oils used for the chicken, possibly the veggie stew [but I actually think it's parsnips, not potatoes]), however, the hot sauce is doing WONDERS for my sinuses (and I don't have an adverse reaction to eating from this particular truck).
    Craving: if I'm having a super craving for something non-primal and it doesn't pass after a day, I indulge (in moderation).
    Eating Out/at someone's house/socially: I'm not going to sweat the small amounts of flour/oils/whatever (though I'll avoid them if possible), and if there's a homemade dessert that looks UH-MAZING (must contain chocolate) yeah, I'll try a bite (but not much more).
    Cultural Tourism: If I'm travelling, I like to try authentic local food. This doesn't mean I'll go out of my way to eat junk, but I like to try and experience - I enjoy food. If there's a non-primal house specialty at a restaurant, I may try it (or split it with someone - did this recently at the Russian & Turkish baths) - and remember, just because you start a dish, doesn't mean you have to finish it.
    Yearly Special Occasions: I might (but won't always) indulge in a dessert for my birthday, SO's birthday, or a special dinner. I lead a girl scout troop, and at cookie time, I will slowly go through a box or three (like 3-6months/box)
    Fast Food: I'll order a bunless burger, but usually any fast food is not 100% primal, and if I'm needing food enough to go to a fast food joint, I'm willing to count the oils/CAFO meat as my 20% (FWIW, Chipotle can be 100% primal, and that's usually my first choice for FF)

I don't put up with the "forced office sweets" - I decline, and if FORCED to take some, I either trash 'em or give away.
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do about scout camp (the menu is simply appalling - processed crap, almost no protein, very few veggies), cookie season (how can I encourage people to buy crap that I won't really eat? - not that I've ever had a problem selling these things), and a few other challenges.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567