Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek Yogurt questions page

Eva Lution is offline Member

Question Greek Yogurt questions

Shop Now
    I realize some people don't eat any dairy. I have stopped drinking milk myself. But I use whole cream in my tea every morning and eat cheese (raw milk when I can find it) and Greek yogurt a couple of times a week.

I have no problem eating full-fat cheese, but every time I pick up a carton of full-fat yogurt and see the grams of fat, I put it back and get 2%. I buy Fage and it's great. Carbs aren't too bad, I eat 1/2 a cup or less at a time, and it wouldn't be any more fat than I get from other sources. Heck, I eat coconut oil out of the jar sometimes!

Anyone else ever have this ingrained phobia from years of hearing how we should avoid fat? I mean, I know better and yet I just haven't been able to make the leap to full-fat Greek yogurt.

Comments? Suggestions? I'm just curious.
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I sauteed leftover fajita meat in butter and coconut oil for lunch. I started laughing when I realized how much my mother would freak out at the idea of adding fat to a perfectly good chicken breast.

How long have you been primal? I still have to stop and think about adding fat sometimes, but I'm definitely not scared of it.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Nope. I'm not afraid. Full Fat Fage yogurt is divine. I could probably eat an entire big tub in one sitting. Yesterday I ate half of one. Unfortunately, it does not love me back so I consider it a treat.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    I just remind myself that you need the fat in dairy products in order to get the most out of the vitamins and minerals--most are fat soluble which means it needs fat in order to be delivered and used by your body--otherwise they're no good. At it is SOOO creamy and yummy.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Hate hate hate anything that's low-fat. That is to say, that has had fat taken away. My biggest problem when cooking roasts is figuring out how to get all the fat that sits in the bottom of the pan back into the meat

If you're eating coconut oil out of the jar I don't understand how you can be leery of full-fat Greek yogurt. I always thought that it's the fat in (certain) things that makes them taste good. 2% milk just tastes (and looks) wrong.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    My biggest problem when cooking roasts is figuring out how to get all the fat that sits in the bottom of the pan back into the meat
    Would cutting slits in the meat that don't quite go all the way to the end, then pouring it over work?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Nah, the fat would just stay on the surface. Honestly most of the fat is from the "cap" that most roasts have. It's just that there's usually too much to incorporate into a sauce -- too much fat to have a good consistency. Luckily I like cold meat and it's easy eating the fat when it's solid.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The fat thing was/is the hardest thing for me to embrace on an intellectual level. The taste buds on the other hand love it. Low/non fat dairy would be a dangerous thing as you will not be satisfied and will land up eating too much of it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Anyone else ever have this ingrained phobia from years of hearing how we should avoid fat? I mean, I know better and yet I just haven't been able to make the leap to full-fat Greek yogurt.
    I'm over it. Whole fat yogurt is fabulous, as is chicken skin!

Pink Slinky is offline Member
    The fat in Fage Total doesn't bother me, but the consistency does, a little. It's almost too thick. To solve that I've been adding coconut milk and stirring it up so it's almost like kefir. If you really want a treat and thin it out a little, put it in a glass add some flavored sparkling water to a yogurt/coconut milk concoction. Trader Joe's Lime sparkling water (and half a packet Lemon Lime Emergen-C when I'm low on vitamins)...yum!
    Heck no, I don't want no dang turkey bacon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast