Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Females who tend to "bulk up" quickly page

darkersolace is offline Senior Member

Females who tend to "bulk up" quickly

Hi all!

So, I'm sure I cannot be the only woman out there with this issue, but I seem to be pretty damn predisposed to put on muscle, and quickly. I don't mind this so much in the lower body, but my upper body? I have a hard time with it. My shoulders are broad enough already!

Since I started doing LHT workouts once a week (which has done WONDERS for dropping my BF%), I've gained significant definition and "bulk" through my arms and upper back. So while I do want to continue making slight increases in strength, I just don't wish to add significant amounts of muscle mass. The exercises I've been integrating reverse rows (bodyweight), bench presses (45 bls.), and seated military presses (40 bls.), 3 x 10 reps.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Decrease rep range to up to 5? that's usually thrown around as a strength builder but NOT a hypertrophy range.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkersolace View Post
    Hi all!

So, I'm sure I cannot be the only woman out there with this issue, but I seem to be pretty damn predisposed to put on muscle, and quickly. I don't mind this so much in the lower body, but my upper body? I have a hard time with it. My shoulders are broad enough already!

Since I started doing LHT workouts once a week (which has done WONDERS for dropping my BF%), I've gained significant definition and "bulk" through my arms and upper back. So while I do want to continue making slight increases in strength, I just don't wish to add significant amounts of muscle mass. The exercises I've been integrating reverse rows (bodyweight), bench presses (45 bls.), and seated military presses (40 bls.), 3 x 10 reps.

I am in the same position - BUT I love having muscular arms and shoulders/back - my problem is that I could get "thunder thighs" - and I'm not willowy to start off with.

My plan is to stay with the hard work/heavy weigths for my upper body but keep squat/lunges lighter and increase body weight exercises 9and keep up the cardio component and HIIT for that). You could do the opposite and keep upper body weights lighter and more for toning?? Throw in the odd heavier session to increase strength?

I don't know if this would be "right" and will be happy to see what other advice you get (that I could also potentially use)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I gain muscle easily just from bodyweight exercises alone. Not too sure what to tell you on this one.
    Georgette

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same way. I remember someone on this forum saying that "there's no way to gain muscle mass lifting puny weights". Well, all the muscles I have are the result of 11 years of Jazzercise, lifting 6-7lb weights! When I first went to a personal trainer, he marveled at my back muscles and kept telling me I should go into bodybuilding competitions (SO not me!)

It definitely keeps me from embracing the LHT aspect of primal. I don't mind being a bit muscle-y, but I don't want to look ridiculous.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I remember the first time I went to a gym and worked out with a trainer, he was handing me 25lb dumbbells for bicep curls and I was doing them with ease. I sometimes wonder if putting muscle on easily has faltered my weightloss attempts in the past.
    Georgette

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I sympathise but can't help I'm afraid.
    I easily build muscle (sadly its covering of fat remains intact!) - but in my case my hormones are a little off-whack. "Free testosterone" is a bit higher than average despite overall testosterone being in normal range.
    FWIW I don't really "work out" - I have a reasonably active job lifting and carrying, and after only 2 or 3 archery lessons my shoulders are noticeably more solid. *shrug*

I would say "relax, enjoy it" but if someone dismissed me like that I'd want to slap them.

However, your sig mentions "muscle atrophy" - are you sure you're not getting back to where you "should" be?

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    My problem is not only do I gain muscle easily but when I lift heavy, even when eating primal, I cannot stop eating. One can indeed eat too many good calories.

A couple of things have worked. One is more of a Turbulence Training style that definitely works the muscles, but not as heavily as traditional weight lifting. It fits with Mark's philosophy as well.

Another is circuit training where you mix cardio and weight training. I tend to use lighter weights with higher reps. Not primal, but I did P90X one summer and ended up looking like a starting lineback for the 49ers. So, while I like looking toned and fit, I also like looking like a girl.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Hi all!

27 y/o Female
    CW: 162, 16% BF
    HW: 200
    LW: 139 (with all the muscle atrophy that comes with CW dieting, yaaay)
    Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I think your stats may be inaccurate. How are you measuring your body fat percent? Unless you're over six feet tall or getting ready for a bodybuilding contest, I can't fathom how a woman could weigh 162 @ 16% bodyfat. I hope I'm not coming off as harsh or condescending, but you're probably carrying more fat than you realize.

Having gotten that outta the way, I have found that bodyweight training has leaned me out a bit, but then again, I switched to a bodyweight centered program around the same time I started eating primal, so it's hard to say.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all!
    Learn to be comfortable with your genetics?

Aesthetics shouldn't be the primary goal of resistance training.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast