Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 eggs, are they worth it? page

katydid317 is offline Senior Member

Omega 3 eggs, are they worth it?

Shop Now
    I've been shelling out the extra money to buy these and just started wondering, is it actually worth it? I already take an omega 369 supplement. Is the amount of omega 3 in the eggs worth paying extra for? Thoughts?

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Not from what I've been told by some people in the know. The amount of omega-3s is scant. The eggs have some omega-3 because the chickens were flax-fed. I just make sure my eggs are free-range local. If you're eating grass-fed beef (and pork?) and some fish, you're getting way better omega-3s than from omega-3 eggs.

That's just what I've been told by people more in the know than I am.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    No, it's marketing. Either consume some flax, chia, salba for benefits other than the omega's, and either consume fatty fish and/or consume some fish oil.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Vegetarian fed hens = FAIL :-)

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I can't imagine it being worth as much more as they are charging for them regardless unless they had a giant concentration of Omega 3 that was readily absorbed. Since I can't imagine this being the case- go for the non Omega 3's and put the savings towards some salmon. Then we should make some more Salmon/eggs hollandaise. That's how you up the Omega 3 in eggs- serve with salmon.

localad is offline Senior Member
    "I already take an omega 369 supplement"

Why the 6 and 9 part?
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    "I already take an omega 369 supplement"

Why the 6 and 9 part?
    Was wondering that myself...what's the point of the omega-9's? I remember reading about them in Nourishing Traditions and I thought those were only (or mostly?) in borage and primrose oil, which to me makes it seem that they're really not necessary, I can't see many ancient/indigenous people consuming lots of borage and primrose oil....

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Was wondering that myself...what's the point of the omega-9's? I remember reading about them in Nourishing Traditions and I thought those were only (or mostly?) in borage and primrose oil, which to me makes it seem that they're really not necessary, I can't see many ancient/indigenous people consuming lots of borage and primrose oil....
    Omega 9's are basically a non essential oil, more specifically a monounsaturated fat....olive oil is an omega 9. Primrose and borage are actually omega 6's and mostly linolenic acid (LA) but they also have what's called GLA (gamma linolenic acid) which produce prostaglandins, which are extremely important within the body. LA can be elongated/desaturated to make GLA but the process isn't very efficient, much like the ALA conversion to EPA & DHA and the reason to supplement with primrose oil............but it is an omega 6, therefore it might kill us........sorry comedy relief.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    I would think that Omega3 eggs have a better balance of Omega3:Omega6. The main aim more than the ratio is to keep the omega6 low.
    If you are eating a lot of conventional eggs then you will get more omega6. If you eat only a couple a day, I don't think it matters much. Ofcourse free range will be much better than the farmed omega3 eggs.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I try to buy free range from the farmer's market. I have no idea how much omega 3 they have, but they are wonderful. Buy local!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast