Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grains and sinus problems page

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member

Grains and sinus problems

Shop Now
    I have always had minor sinus problems - sinus headaches a lot, and sinus infections warranting antibiotics every few years. I always used the sudafed that you have to sign for and get from behind the counter because it's used to make meth, and at times I would have to get my husband to buy it for me because I had used my "allotment" for the month.

I had been totally grain-free for almost a month until this Saturday. I attended a bridal shower and family get together for my niece, and ate 2 breaded chicken tenders, one cookie, and 2 slices of thin crust pizza during the course of the day.

Yesterday I had the most horrendous sinus headache and lots of drainage when I woke up - first one since going primal. I didn't really connect it to eating grains until today, I googled and found that wheat can cause sinus problems - who knew? I never thought I had problems with grain products (besides eating too many crackers and too much pasta). I took a 12 hour sudafed around 12:00 yesterday. This morning no headache, no drainage or congestion. I am starting to feel a little bit of pressure right now, though.

Of course, it could be coincidence, I was out in the wind a lot Saturday. But between how bad I felt yesterday, and the love of my much much less bloated looking stomach (though I never had any stomach problems, just looked bloated, never hurt or bothered me) my avoidance of grains has been reinforced.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Mwuhahaha. I was a bread fiend. HUGE bread fiend. I brought homemade cookies to work every Friday. I figured my sinus problems were all genetic.

Guess what?

When I stopped eating wheat, I stopped having 7 or 8 sinus infections + 2-3 bouts of bronchitis every winter.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    When I stopped eating wheat, I stopped having 7 or 8 sinus infections + 2-3 bouts of bronchitis every winter.
    This happened to me too. This past winter I didn't have a single cold, sinus infection, bout of flu, or bronchitis. In the past I would have had at least three incidents of one or more of these. Being grain-free has truly helped.

I'm hoping to make it through allergy season with much less pain this year as well. I am doing some preventative work on that, which I hope combined with being grain-free, will allow me to breathe through the spring.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

For me, I stopped eating grains, and my allergies are history. GONE. :-)

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndergroundNutritionist View Post
    For me, I stopped eating grains, and my allergies are history. GONE. :-)
    I'm counting on this, and I'll find out in a few weeks as my allergies tend to kick in around March.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I have been healed from sinus problems by eliminating grains. I used to always have problems with the weather change in the spring and fall and would always carry an upper respiratory infection at least once a year. It has been over 2 years since I have had any issues. It is the greatest thing ever as I have been living with these issues for a long time. I thought it was hereditary too since my father, mother, and brother all had "allergies". My brother can't breathe through his nose due to inflammation and the doctor said it was from "allergies".

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    My hubby has chronic sinus issues, and since I went primal (meaning he went primal too by default since I do all the cooking), his sinus issues have dramatically decreased. He still sneaks in a few bread products now and then during his lunches at work, but I can almost always tell when he's done that because he'll complain that night about feeling really stuffy. I'll ask him what he had for lunch and he'll sheepishly admit it was pizza or a sub sandwich.

So even though he didn't go primal to lose weight (since he doesn't need to lose weight), he's had some major side benefits to his health. Also, when he's not stuffy he doesn't snore much, resulting in a happier and more well-rested wifey.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I had a similar issue- inflammation of my eustachian tubes which caused a feeling of pressure in my ears and sometimes when it was bad I couldn't hear properly as sounds were distorted and rumbly. Went along with the asthma I developed. Off wheat it was pretty much gone within a few days.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I had chronic stuffy sinuses. They cleared up as soon as I cut out the grain. We went on vacation to Maine and relaxed our eating to allow for blueberry pancakes, popvers and other local delicacies and bot my husband and I were stuffy the whole week. After we got back on track it went away.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I had chronic stuffy sinuses. They cleared up as soon as I cut out the grain. We went on vacation to Maine and relaxed our eating to allow for blueberry pancakes, popvers and other local delicacies and bot my husband and I were stuffy the whole week. After we got back on track it went away.
    Me, except it was going back to the Philippines for Christmas. I almost didn't even notice my sinuses clearing up, but when they got stuffed again back home a light bulb went off in my head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast