Thread: 3 weeks in of a 4 week no cheat page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

3 weeks in of a 4 week no cheat

I'm on my last week of my goal to do 4 weeks of 100% primal eating...no cheating whatsoever. I had hurt my back, so I've really been able to lift and sprint for the past week or so, but it's getting better. It's been fairly easy I have to say. I had been paleo/primal for a little over a year, and wanted to push some further progress along. Just wanted to share some specific and general advice to whoever....

- As Mark touched upon in a recent post....if you're not hungry...don't eat. Fasting for periods of time is not going to "trigger the starvation" reaction in our body that CW has constantly pushed. I worked out this morning, I did have a protein shake post (at 7am) and because I'm limited to what I can eat today...probably won't until 7pm tonight. I typically don't eat breakfast, so I am generally IF for about 16 hrs.

- You do not have to live in a forrest away from the rest of society to achieve a strict primal lifestyle. Within the few weeks of my strict "no cheating" eating, I've been out to eat, at a Super Bowl party, and had a couple bday parties for my son. Social events can be intimidating, but you can easily still stick with your primal eating without attracting a lot of attention to you. At the super bowl party I munched on chicken wings, raw vegs and some guac with primal crackers (that I made and brought that were from almond flour and grass-fed cheese). At my son's bday party, I had some coconut ice cream. Sure I didn't have any cake, but my son didn't notice or care because he was ejoying his own piece. Just stick to foraging and hunting in any scene and you'll find things that you can eat and enjoy...if not...go back to my first point.

- Get creative. If you sit there and eat eggs every day...it can get boring. I did it when I was back in my gym rat days, eating the same meals at the same time etc. Have some fun in making your food. Last week I concoted something that my boys and I now call Mt. Vesuvius. It was just eggs, grass-fed beef, onion, red-bell pepper, avocado, grass-fed cheese and some salsa, but we layered it and piled it up and it was visually appealing (I will probably be thinking of eating that the rest of the day now).

- The small investment is worth the large reward. I've only been eating "perfect" for 3 weeks. Think of how little 3 weeks is in the course of our life. I am hoping that it is a very small percentage of my entire life. So for me to devout a month to not cheating isn't really that much of a "sacrifice"....especially when knowing the health benefits that will pay in dividends. We wouldn't ingest a bottle of something in the sink cabinet with a skull and crossbones on it....we now know there other things that are as indicative as the skull and crossbones and shouldn't be so careless.

- Sometimes remind yourself why you made a conscious decision to eat better. Sure the primal and paleo diets are based on the fact that we should just be eating what we are supposed to eat, but a lot has changed with society since those times and now we must make hard fought efforts to return to that in some ways. I was tired of planning meals, tired of counting calories and just wanted to find an eating lifestyle that focused on health, rather than only lbs. Reminding myself of that has helped me be happy with what I am eating, rather than being envious seeing someone eat a piece of pizza.

I've felt great since going strict, and will probably continue it further but will allow a cheat maybe here and there. I won't fret about it, as Mark points out in his 80/20 rule, but I won't try and hit that 20 all the time either.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Great post!

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Great post!
    Thanks. I am at the point in my fast today where I am starting to get hungry. I'm stuck at a client though with no end in sight...so not sure when I'll get home to the steak dinner that the mrs has made.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick "the Caveman" M. View Post

- The small investment is worth the large reward. I've only been eating "perfect" for 3 weeks. Think of how little 3 weeks is in the course of our life. I am hoping that it is a very small percentage of my entire life. So for me to devout a month to not cheating isn't really that much of a "sacrifice"....especially when knowing the health benefits that will pay in dividends.
    I love doing 30 day challenges....developing discipline skills is just like building muscle, gotta practice. Pushing yourself to 100% for a short period makes striving for something like 95% on a daily basis SO much easier. It forces you out of your comfort zone big time and to develop new habits out of necessity.

My last 30 day where I gave up dairy, I found out some of my favorite meals were JUST as good without cheese as with......so why add it?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for your encouraging post. I'll hit the 3 week mark on my 30 day challenge tomorrow . I'm not ready for IF yet but I am observing changes that suggest my metabolism is changing for the better.

I don't know what I'll do after the 30 days yet, but I will definately be keeping my pledge to strictly avoid all gluten and corn. I've been gluten free for 3 years but sometimes cheat with things like desserts with little bits of starch, or chocolate which I know is gluten contaminated. No more chocolate mousse with cornstarch or Pringles with wheat starch or chocolate that says "may contain gluten" on the packet. I have definately noticed an improvement from doing that. I have a shoulder problem which is an indicator is inflammation for me, and it's been the best it's been in years this last week or two.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman