Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about fruit consumption page

pattyd is offline Senior Member

Confused about fruit consumption

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys. In reading the book last night I got the impression that fruit and vegees both are an unlimited supply of carbs;ie eat them to your hearts content. In some of the posts though people are advising us newbies to limit fruit intake pretty tightly. Help!! lol
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    While you shouldn't eat lots of bananas and mangoes on a daily basis, I don't think a piece of fruit a day will hurt you. I think it depends on your goals. For people who don't have much to lose, and are already low in body fat, they may want to be more strict to push that body fat percentage just a little lower.

Personally, I try to stay pretty seasonal, but if I get a massive apple craving, I'm having an apple.

Usually, fruit consumption is recommended to be limited, IF weight loss is a major issue or goal.

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    The way I do it is look at fruit like the new candy. We didn't come across it too often back in the day and when we did it was a treat. Your not ment to fill up on fruit like your not meant to fill up on skittles. Its just for the taste of something sweet.

Like I got a bag of frozen strawberries in my freezer. After dinner when im cravign something sweet I do my dishes and clean up, put a pot of water on the stove for tea, ten grab a strawberry and let it melt in my mouth, like a piece of candy. I BELIVE that when you crave soemthing sweet, 70% of your "happy signals" are triggered within that first bite, so that should do it.

Remeber your NOT meant to fill up on those strawberries though. Its just for the taste. If you keep going you might end up spiking you insulin and you'll get hungry and go for the bread or something lol.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Oh ok....so it`s mostly a weight loss issue Thank you
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    and a craving issue. For those with a history of sugar addiction or gut flora imbalance, fruit can set off a chain of increasing carb cravings. A lot of people don't deal with that at all and naturally self-limit fruit, and shouldn't think twice about whether it might be causing them harm.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    And I think thats the problem with supermarkets today. If you look at it the other way around, candy/sweets as fruits, there's an abundance of sweet fruits EVERYWHERE and its all too readilly availible; Icecreams, cakes, cookies, candy covered this n' that ect.... So people would naturally rather fill up on delcious sweet things, but we're not meant for that.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    I look at it like this (which is similar to what everyone else is saying): Fruits are ok, but like the other posters said, in limited quantities. An apple can contain 20g of carbs (i think) and while this may not out you overboard on the carbs, it may dampen your progress. You have to realize that our ancestors who ate like this didn't have to "heal" their bodies to get to a healthy bodyweight (they were born beautiful, lol) and we have to (at least try to) nullify the effects of grains/sugars. I am trying to get my body to a caveman like body (well hopefully less hair) and until i am their i think i have to watch what i eat. When i am there i know i won't have to worry about what i am consuming. I noticed since going paleo i only lose weight and do not gain weight like i use too (although plateaus come and go). That being said i will still limit some fruit since most fruit today, i believe, is a bastard child of what fruit use to be and even then it was harder to find fruit. Hope this helps and i hope i am not sounding too redundant.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    An apple typically has nearly 30g of carbs, and most fruit has been hybridized over the years to be much larger and sweeter than the original fruits, so even what was seasonally available to Grok wasn't what we have today! So basically, yes, exactly what NeoBerserker just said, lol!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

jedikelly is offline Member
    all this info just after I ate an apple LOL --- no worries here though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast