Thread: Should I be worries about getting enough calories? page

mwood10480 is offline Junior Member

Should I be worries about getting enough calories?

Hey everyone, I have been eating a daily 100% organic/grassfed/free-range rotation diet composed of mostly animal meat/fat and above ground vegetables and a very small amount of fruit for about 5 months. I have also elimated grains, beans, and nuts due to their phytic acid. I dropped in weight from 165 to 150 and dropped in bodyfat from 11% to 9%. I was getting only 1200 to 1800 calories a day due to my budget. I am trying to add calories through animal fat, avacados, and some oils, but it would make up about 50 to 60% of my daily calorie intake. Is this too much. I can only afford to eat a pound and a half of meat a day which only makes up 50% of my daily calories. I can only budget 100-200 calories from above ground vegetables daily, and the rest would have to be high quality fat. Is this healthy? Do you need to worry about getting enough calories on a 100% high quality organic/grass fed\free range diet or do I still need at least 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm compelled to say that you'd be doing just fine, but maybe knowing more about your height, weight, body composition goals, etc would help.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    I suppose to some extent it depends what you're doing. How active are you?

mwood10480 is offline Junior Member
    Yes, I forgot to include that I am 30 year old 5 foot "10 male 150 pounds great muscle tone lift free weights and sprint. I have not gotten sick at all since making this change but I have lost strength and some muscle mass as well. My main concern is becoming calorie deficient, but I am confused because I know that all calories are not created equal. Do I need less calories because they are high quality, or do I still need to meet the daily recommendation for men. My main goal is optimum health and not to loose anymore weight.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    You definitely need to eat more to preserve strength and muscle mass!

Luckily, it looks like you're already getting enough meat and vegetables. Don't be afraid to make up the difference with high quality fat - ideally, 50% or more of your calories will come from fat on a primal diet. Some people here eat 70% or more.

Also, starchy vegetables would likely be fine for you (assuming you aren't insulin resistant) since you're active and lean. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, plantains, etc can all be a nice cheap source of extra calories.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    You definitely need to eat more to preserve strength and muscle mass!

Luckily, it looks like you're already getting enough meat and vegetables. Don't be afraid to make up the difference with high quality fat - ideally, 50% or more of your calories will come from fat on a primal diet. Some people here eat 70% or more.

Also, starchy vegetables would likely be fine for you (assuming you aren't insulin resistant) since you're active and lean. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, plantains, etc can all be a nice cheap source of extra calories.
    Yes, especially on the starches front. If you’re worried about higher carb intake just make it happen on your training days.

I think I train daily, or almost daily, just to eat sweet potatoes. The spuds are pulling the strings.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think I train daily, or almost daily, just to eat sweet potatoes. The spuds are pulling the strings.
    Haha - I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I cycle my starch intake based on activity level, and the thought of chowing down on some buttery roasted sweet potatoes really motivates me to get those extra workouts in.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You didn't mention eggs or dairy. My estimate would be that 10 free range eggs costs half of what a pound of grassfed meat costs, if not less, and dairy is generally even cheaper calorie wise. And yes you still need the same calories as with low quality food. I think you need something in the ballpark of 2400 calories to maintain weight (you may gain a little if your body doesn't like being very lean).