Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetes Question page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

Diabetes Question

Primal Fuel
    I've recently noticed I get sweet-smelling urine *every* time I eat something sweet, even a little too much non-fermented dairy. Now, I know that sugar spilling over into urine takes something like twice the "healthy" level of blood glucose, and I know that constant spilling means you have diabetes. I also know that diabetes can be "fixed" by eating nothing sweet!

My question is, if it is *only* sweet when I eat something sweet, and that's rare, what does that mean? Insulin resistance only and always when I eat one sweet thing? Or is it not working right between meals? Or is it possibly a kidney filtering problem?

I'm trying to understand before going to a doctor, b/c a doctor's obvious answer will be "Sugar spilling over into urine = diabetes." But if diabetes can be taken care of by not eating sugar, that's the obvious solution. I just want to know what it means that when I eat a dessert (once in a blue moon), or too much fruit, why my urine gets sweet and my husband's does not. What's the physiological difference there, and is there anything medicine can do for that situation, since it doesn't seem conventional diabetes treatment makes sense for someone who is almost never eating sweet foods? I'll go to a doctor if there's anything that can/should be done, sure.

FWIW, I get parched when I eat those foods as well, but ONLY when I eat them. I'm not experiencing any rapid weight loss (about .5lb/week over the last year of going primal), etc. I was almost certainly hypoglycemic pre-primal, but never got officially diagnosed. Those symptoms of dizziness, head-spinning, crazy cravings, etc., were what scared me into getting sugar out of my life.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

DanC is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like your blood sugar might be staying high and when you eat sweats it goes real high. Remember its not just sweats that spike your blood sugar, starches do also. Have an HBA1c ran and get a look at what you blood sugar is averaging. If you dont want to ga to a Dr. you can but a home test at a drug store.

Thanks! I'm not eating starches, either. Only once or twice a month do I have anything sweet or starchy. Does that affect anything?

I understand that you can buy A1c tests OTC now, too?

DanC is offline Senior Member
    You can buy them over the counter. I have seen 2, one give you results instantly, one you send the strip away and they send you the results. If your not eating starches I wouldnt think your sugar would be high.

Any idea how many grams of carbs you're getting in a day?

I'm wondering if this might be because of Ketosis due to carb restriction. When a person is in Ketosis, there are often complaints of sweet smelling urine and breath. While in deep Ketosis, we excrete excess acetone from unsed Ketone bodies in our breath and urine.

After being in Ketosis for a while, the ketone body production slows down to a pace that is more efficiently usable by our bodies, which lowers the amount of Ketones that we excrete as excess.

This makes me wonder if maybe you excrete more ketones in your urine every time you eat something sweet, because at that time your body switches away from using Ketones for fuel, until the sweet carbs are used up again, and you return to burning fat (Ketones).

Just a thought.

I guess that I get less than 30g most days, usually even less, but I don't measure. My typical day has a salad & some cooked greens or brussels sprouts, no starchy veggies, no fruit, no grains, no sugar, no lactose.

Interesting theory! I'm trying to dig up info on ketosis causing the sweet smelling urine - I see "metallic taste in mouth," but not the sweet breath or urine. I haven't had any particular taste in my mouth, so I was actually wondering if I'm even reaching ketosis, prior to the question about the "honey urine" coming up.

I'm going to keep digging up more on that info you gave!

Being under 30grams of carbs a day, would almost certainly have you in Ketosis for the majority of the time. Sweet smelling breath/urine is often attributed to Diabetic Ketoacidosis....which is a little concerning.....but I also see it a lot in people in regular old benign Ketosis, caused by diet. Ketosis isn't a bad thing in the least of course.

Since you expressed that you might have been heading down the Diabetes path, you might want to get some blood work done, just to give you some peace of mind. It would be better to rule out the Ketoacidosis thing. :-)

let us know what you find out!

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    Go get a BG meter today and see where you are. Could be serious....trust me.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Okay, I've ordered a BG meter and will get an A1C test from CVS tomorrow, along with ketostix. I'm also ordering some Benedict's solution to test the urine for glucose b/c it sounds like fun, lol. My homeschooled 7th grader can use it for her science experiments.

Anyway, I thought of a way to rephrase my main questions - is diabetes a *disease* - something that takes a while to develop & a while to cure (or could be incurable if it gets to a certain state?) - or is it ... not sure the right word .. a condition? Something where as soon as the thing causing it goes away, it goes away? IOW, if a type II diabetic stops eating all sources of dietary glucose forever, will his blood sugar definitely go down to a normal level over the next short period of time and he'll be normal? Or is there lasting damage (assuming he hasn't gotten to the point of losing toes or something similar, of course) -I'm referring to damage to his ability to become insulin sensitive again.

I'm not sure I'm making sense b/c I really don't know much about diabetes. Is it possible to be diabetic if you never eat sweets again? Will you definitely return to being insulin sensitive over time?

It seems like I"m getting more and more sensitive to sweet things over time as I eat less and less of them. I'm fairly certain that fruit did NOT use to make my urine smell sweet. I'm fairly concerned about the fact that it does now! I do *not* believe primal eating "made" me diabetic, but I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that perhaps I abused my poor pancreas, or insulin-sensitive cells, long enough that now, even nearly a year into going primal, I'm developing insulin sensitivity.

Is the fact that my weight loss has been steady proof that I *am* still insulin sensitive? I'm just so confused by the sudden presence of this sweet-smelling urine! It *definitely* appears hours after eating something sweet, even a lot of Greek yogurt.

These are questions I want to ask primal people before going to the doctor, b/c I figure a doc's POV will just be "if you're diabetic, do the drugs" without considering that someone might actually have a problem *only* on the rare occasion a piece of fruit or extremely rare piece of pie enters the picture. And if so, does that problem need to be fixed? IDK!

ETA just for my own notes: Diastix. Renal threshold is usually 10mmol/L. Renal glycosuria = oddly low threshold; see causes at patient.co.uk. "Glycosuria can occur in the non-diabetic if a substantial amount of food high in sugar is consumed and transiently overwhelms the insulin response causing hyperglycaemia." Over-feeding, rapid gastric emptying, & severe stress hormones can elevate B. G. over the renal threshold. Glycosuria depends on BP!

For those keeping track, I have no symptoms of ketoacidosis that I can find.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-21-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like a good idea to get checked out. If you have type 2 diabetes then the first port of call is to control it with diet, which I would expect you would be able to do by eating primal.

It is interesting that this symptom has developed recently though, I can't help wondering if your body has become less able to handle a sudden dose of sugar because you are eating low carb the rest of the time. Like the fat burning pathways, our bodies work on the principle of downregulating things that aren't needed so as not to waste resources. I know when I've been sugar free for a while I get much worse symptoms when I eat sugar, like scary heart palpitations. A few days of eating it regularly and my body seems to adjust and handle it better. I don't recommend you try that as a test though lol!!

When I was pregnant there was some concern I had sugar in my urine. I learned not to eat 3 Snickers bars just before being tested .
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast