Thread: Venison page

kjake55 Guest

Primal Fuel

I just got 10 lbs of beautiful venison from a friend of mine. Her husband is a bow hunter and got a big deer over the weekend. She gave me chops, chop meat, stew meat, filets, steaks & a loin roast! Yummy! I'm thinking the stew meat will make a great stir fry since a stew would mean flour &/or cornstarch but I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for the loin roast. I want to make it this Sunday. I would like to marinade all day Saturday and cook it Sunday. Does anyone have a suggestion or a website I can check out. I have a Native American Wild Game cookbook and alot of the recipes sound great but almost all of them say to dredge the meat in flour and brown it as part of the prep and I don't know if I could just skip that step or substitute something in for the flour. Thanks in advance.

jbmarshtx Guest

It will probably be pretty tough. I don't know how big the roast is, but you can wrap it in bacon and cook it on lowish heat for a while, and it should have a good flavor. Wrap it in foil when you cook it so it keeps the juices in.

For a stew, you can use coconut milk to thicken it up. We did this in a crockpot last weekend and it was good.

kjake55 Guest

Thanks for the coconut milk tip. I'll try that. The roast is probably 3-3 1/2 lbs. I like the idea of wrapping it in bacon. Sounds very tasty!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Please, please, use the power of the internets to get your answers! I'm guessing, but stir fry might be the last good thing to do with venison. Generally, game needs low temps and long cooking times.

One of my daughters married a hunter. It has been a ten year education on how to cook venison and elk.

The best thing I ever had from their stash was breakfast sausage, can't recall if deer or elk, with about 50% pig. The blend of the two meats was a real taste bud overload.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

ive been hunting for years and the best thing to do with deer is a stew- and dont worry about the thickness of it- i use just the usual veggies and red wine, but when it has cooked... oh lets say 5-6 hours- believe me the sauce has reduced to a nice thickness. When it comes to roast- again the time is essential. Ive rosted deerleg in an earth pit for about 24 hours and that was ecxellent, but over open fire- just done it once- and you have to have really good patiency (which i lack) as you have to keep turning and moistening it all the time, and slow is again the key plus not too much heat...

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

kjake55 Guest

I wasn't aware of the slow cooking aspect of preparing game meat--thanks all! Would a slow cooker be a better choice to do the meat in over the oven or would everything come out stew like? I will google venison recipes as well as I would hate to ruin such a beautiful bounty by cooking it wrong.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Without experience, I'd lean towards a crockpot/slow cooker. What say those experienced?

kjake, it's a cooking rule of thumb: the leaner the meat, the lower temperature it must be cooked at. For instance, I cooked buffalo burger the other day and on my 1956 push button range, it was a button lower than what I cook regular beef on. And it still wanted to stick.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    My friend just gave me about 2lbs of venison. I'm not sure what part he said it was - the back or shoulder? Anyways, I have it sitting in a plastic bag and he said for me not to freeze it. It was butchered on Saturday Night and has been refrigerated since.

My question is - how soon do I need to cook it by without freezing it? Will it last me the week because from the looks of it it would be about 3 large steaks for me, so the last piece would be in the fridge for about 6 days. Is that safe enough?

I tried it for the first time in my life last night and it was aMaZing! VERY similar to grass-fed beef IMO.