Thread: Need help identifying Primal Recipes... page

pazzaglia is offline Junior Member

Need help identifying Primal Recipes...

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

First, I want to thank everyone who clicked on Mark's link to my pressure cooking website a few weeks back. There were so many of you that I decided to start labeling recipes that are "Paleo" on my website under the diet category (right now I have low-fat, low-carb, gluten free, vegan, and vegetarian).

I am just discovering about the primal blue print so I'm not ready to hop on board yet, but I have read and sifted through so many websites to find the dietary recommendations and restrictions that I'm going cross-eyed.

I need your help! I made a first-shot effort at labeling recipes but, I'm not ready to let everyone know until it's truly in line with the Primal Living philosophy. Here is a preview:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/search/label/paleo

Specifically, I would love your feedback about what should not be there. And improvement to my guidelines. So far I am choosing recipes that are low-carb, no beans, and low-sugar with only "whole" grains. Does that sound about right?

Where do potatoes, corn meal (polenta) and fruit fit in this diet, if at all? And is the rule ZERO sugar or just no processed white sugar? For example, if honey or raw sugar are OK I will make a couple of pressure cooker desserts just for you.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Laura
    Last edited by pazzaglia; 02-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Specifically, I would love your feedback about what should not be there. And improvement to my guidelines. So far I am choosing recipes that are low-carb, no beans, and low-sugar with only "whole" grains. Does that sound about right?
    No grains - wheat, corn, rye, barley, quinoa, buckwheat
    No beans
    No peanuts - almonds, walnuts, Pecans, brazil nuts, coconut ok suggest 1 oz per day
    Nut meals and nut flours ok within limits - coconut flour, almond flour, pecan meal
    No soy - tofu, tvp
    No canola or soybean oil or transfats
    Olive oil, coconut oil, lard, bacon grease, palm oil, pork rinds are good
    No white sugar and low amounts of honey, maple syrup, dates for sweetening
    Limited fruits, especially if weight loss is a goal, then 1 serving per day
    Potatoes not totally out but sweet potatoes and yams are preferred, depends on carb goals
    Dairy - individual issue, some primals use it, most paleos don't
    Last edited by Adrianag; 02-20-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Here is a slightly revised version of Grizz' Eat This Not That list that I put together for my mother. Thank you Griff.

PRIMAL DIET – EAT THIS, NOT THAT

Eat this
    - Meat (preferably grass-fed)
    - Poultry (preferably free-range)
    - Fish (preferably wild-caught)
    - Eggs (preferably cage-free)
    - Non-starchy and/or green vegetables (preferably organic)
    - Avocado
    - Butter (preferably from grass-fed cows)
    - Lard
    - Ghee
    - Coconut oil
    - Coconut milk
    - Olive oil (but not for cooking)
    - A berry (up to a handful)

YOU CAN AND SHOULD EAT IT. In fact, it should be the backbone of your diet.

Not that
    - A legume (bean, pea, peanut)
    - A grain (wheat, corn, rice) or made of a grain (cereal, oatmeal, bread, cake, tortilla, pasta)
    - A processed food product
    - A "low-fat" manufactured food product
    - A "low-carb" manufactured food product
    - A "diet" manufactured food product
    - Anything with an ingredient that ends in "ose" (sucrose, glucose, fructose) or that contains sugar, agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup
    - Anything from the center aisles of the grocery store...

YOU SHOULD NOT EAT IT. Throw it away (unless it's a cleaning or stationery product, in which case use it for its appropriate purpose).

Eat in moderation
    - Dairy product (milk, yogurt, cream, sour cream, half & half) – whole milk (not low-fat)
    - Nuts (peanuts are not nuts)
    - A seed
    - A fruit other than a berry
    - A starchy or sugary vegetable (carrot, beet, winter squash)
    - A tuber (potato, sweet potato, yam)
    - A nightshade (tomato, bell pepper)
    - Coffee

UNLESS:
    - You are trying to lose weight (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, and tubers)
    - You are lactose intolerant (for dairy)
    - You are significantly inactive/sedentary
    - You are insulin resistant (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, tubers, and coffee)
    - You want to go 100% evolutionary diet and avoid anything we aren't sure he ate
    Last edited by Adrianag; 02-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.

pazzaglia is offline Junior Member
    Thank you AdrianaG and Twibble,

I removed from the collection:
    - pea and pancetta recipe
    - octopus and potato salad

I think these might be OK:
    - The flan contains pine nuts - though I think those are really seeds so it's OK.
    -I have a rabbit recipe (which really seems to be in tune with the "wild meat" theme), but unfortunately I instruct to flour the meat, I will edit it to note that that step is optional so that it can fit within the guidelines.
    - The cauliflower and orange salad sems "iffy" because of the fruit content.

Am I on the right path? I hope I'm getting the hang of it!

Thanks!

L
    Last edited by pazzaglia; 02-21-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is technically fine, a bunch of us just avoid it because it can interfere with killing the sugar cravings and weight loss.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read your recipe where you "flour the meat" so I don't know the specifics, but one tip from me - you can use almond meal or almond flour to dredge/bread meats and that is definitely primal. Coconut flour works too, although it will impart a coconut flavor to whatever you're making so make sure it's a flavor that works with the recipe. Also, I use ground up pork rinds (ground in the food processor) as breading. This is primal too.

Quote Originally Posted by pazzaglia View Post
    Thank you AdrianaG and Twibble,

I removed from the collection:
    - pea and pancetta recipe
    - octopus and potato salad

I think these might be OK:
    - The flan contains pine nuts - though I think those are really seeds so it's OK.
    -I have a rabbit recipe (which really seems to be in tune with the "wild meat" theme), but unfortunately I instruct to flour the meat, I will edit it to note that that step is optional so that it can fit within the guidelines.
    - The cauliflower and orange salad sems "iffy" because of the fruit content.

Am I on the right path? I hope I'm getting the hang of it!

Thanks!

L
    Actually I think you're being too strict. I would leave all of them in, paleo/primals can choose to consume certain foods in moderation or they can substitute coconut or almond flour for breading. Mark "allows" peas and green beans.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I would lose the focus on being low carb.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/