Thread: shoulder problems after workout page

sarahz is offline Senior Member

shoulder problems after workout

Shop Now
    I trained shoulders today, it has been about 6 weeks since starting a split strengh training workout again so I have been doing shoulders on their own for quite a while plus I have been training for 14 years at the gym so I am by no means a novice. My question is after doing shoulders today I came home and got ready and did my housework, so I am cleaning and I notice my shoulders suddenly pinged and it felt like they almost popped out. I stopped doing what I was doing and then they were ok so I carried on cleaning and it happened a couple more times. Does this mean there is something wrong with my shoulders? should I stop lifting weights so to speak and just do more generic whole body workouts? Any comments would help!

Barb is offline Senior Member
    When I strain something in the shoulder area it results in some muscle tightening up and upsetting the whole fit of my shoulder joint, causing pinging and catching and uncomfortable rotation. Here is something I learned from a physical therapist that fixes this problem. Grab a dumbbell in the hand of the affected side - maybe 10 lbs or so. IF you don't have a dumbell handy, use something else heavy like a milk jug filled with water or a heavy rock.

Bend at the waist next to a table and support your upper body by resting your free arm on the table. Now, swing your affected arm back and forth, allowing the weight to pull on the shoulder until all catches and kinks are gone. There are 4 planes to swing in - horizontally, front to back, and the two diagonals. You will have to position yourself in relation to the table to allow a free and full swing in each plane.

As you do the swings, at first your shoulder will feel tight and resist the weight. Focus on letting go of resistance, letting the arm drop lower, letting the weight pull the joint into proper alignment. Centrifugal force is your friend and the weight is your ally. If you aren't progressing into a looser, smoother swing, you might need a heavier weight to overcome the tension.

This exercise has been a godsend. It resolves weird shoulder tightness and impairment/impingement for me every time it develops. I often do it before each set of shoulder exercises to improve the shoulder alignment so that I have a smoother, better range of motion. Hope this helps!

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Give this a try.
    Start light, its tougher than it looks, but it works great.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...oulder_shocker

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    What exercises are you doing - talk us through your programme.

Thanks for your comments will definately give some of those options a go.

So for shoulders I am doing alternating db press 4x8
    db lat raise set 1 x 12, set 2 x 6,6,6 increasing load, set 3 x 8, set 4 12
    barbell front raise superset with db cross hammer curl 4 x 10
    barbell prone incline curl

Hope this helps!

I'd say this is a little anterior delt dominant and this could be causing your impingement. Cut back on the lat raise and front raise for a bit.

Ok may give that a go and see how we go! I thought maybe I was training the shoulders too hard, or after all these years of training it has taken a bit of a toll!

The only other thing I'd suggest is a shift away from a split bodypart routine...

mmm yes that it was I was thinking. I am actually thinking at the end of the year of maybe getting into yoga or pilates for something completley different and say have 1 or 2 lift days per week! Mind you trying to fit everything in over a week is quite hard especially with 2 young ones!