Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble with the fat concept page

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member

Question Having trouble with the fat concept

Primal Fuel
    Background: I was a strict vegetarian for the last 10 years. Recently added meat back in. My family has a history of heart disease/attacks. Dad has had 3. I have an extremely hard time losing weight and so I'm trying Primal to hopefully start dropping the pounds. I know what I've read, but my brain has a hard time processing that I should eat more fat. I didn't eat butter for those 1o years, but now I switched back to butter and don't eat margarine at all. I eat olive oil, avocados and nuts, but I'm talking coconut oil, fats on meats, bacon grease etc, because I've been told for so long that causes heart attacks. Did any of you have problems with that? Have any of you found that adding more fat in honestly makes you lose weight? On a typical day, what kind of fats do you eat? (specific examples and amounts if possible).

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, I am a former vegan and I found it easier to add the fat back in then it was to add the meat back.

Yes! I can honestly say that eating fat makes you loose fat. (as long as you don't over do the carbs)

I start almost every day with a big spoonful of coconut oil.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...u-MUST-eat-fat
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/
    http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...rt-i-fats.html

Yes, adding more fat honestly helps me lose weight. On a typical day, I'll have monounsaturated fats from stuff like olive oil, avocados, and beef; polyunsaturated fats from nuts, fish, poultry, pork, etc; and saturated fats from various meats, butter/other dairy, coconut, and dark chocolate. The ratio of the different fats varies from day to day, but I'm generally eating over 110 grams of fat daily.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Most of my fat comes from EVOO, Flax oil, avocado, and raw nuts and seeds. I also eat butter and coconut oil. I eat a lot of fatty fish (sockeye, trout and mackeral) and chicken with some lamb and beef. More lamb than beef. Pork tendeloin too but that is pretty much fat free. I don't eat bacon or processed meats due to the ingredient list.

I usually have a Tbsp of unrefined flax oil daily in a homemade vinaigrette. I eat a half avocado most days. In baking I use butter and I top veggies with either EVOO or butter. I eat an ounce to an ounce and a half of nuts just about everyday. If I haven't had much fat in the day I'll eat a Tbsp of coconut oil. I also use coconut milk. A quarter cup has the same amount of fat as one Tbsp of coconut oil.

I don't really count out my fat. I use what I need to cook or bake with and what I top my meal with. I enjoy the fat but don't prepare or top my meals so that it is swimming in it. I don't enjoy greasy food. Last time I was tracking I ate about 85-90g of fat daily.

I take a liquid fish oil supplement too. 500 mg DHA and 750 mg EPA.

I'm not trying to lose weight. When I was I started with 100-110g fat daily.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Eating fat wont make you loose weight. Eating less will. Fats provide a felling of satiety, so they help you eat less.
    From a caloric standpoint, it makes little difference. To much fat will have you gaining weight just like to many carbs.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Fat is where its at. Eat it. And dont listen to conventional wisdom(CW). You are being given a "fat is bad" message from the media 24/7. They are all out pushing it everyday.As an example, Im sitting at my table eating chicken sausages with green & red peppers and a salad with olives, gn peppers and olive oil dressing for dinner. And on the TV right now is a infomercial selling some product that is supposed to "remove the fat" from the food you cook. I DONT WANT THE FAT REMOVED!!! The fat is what I need. Good fats, that is. No TRANS fats from junk/processed food.

Anyway, my family and I are at odds over this right now. My wife and most of the people in it subscribe to the CW about a low fat diet and high carbs. I have personally experienced the fattenting and "syndrome X" from following that diet. AND IT IS WRONG!!!! And I am done.

I have been Paleo/Primal for ~ 7 weeks.In that time I have lost 16 lbs and inches off my body. I KNOW I am on the right track now.And in April I am going to have a blood test done to check my markers. I am excited about it as I feel that the numbers I will see will reflect the healthy changes I feel.

Eat your fat. You need it.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Trans fat is bad. Conventional wisdom does have that right!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I'm eating about 2000 calories of fat, 500 calories of carbs, and 500 calories of protein in a typical day. Most of the fat is saturated - animal fat from meat, butter, cream, and coconut oil. If I'm feeling sort of hungry, cranky, and depleted, and I've already eaten so many veggies that I'm full, I often drink a cup or two of whipping cream. Fixes me right up.

It's really easy to get that much fat. Every time you eat veggies, put butter or coconut oil on them.

Gordo

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    It's a huge adjustment coming from a conventional diet, I can imagine the enormous extra leap coming from vegetarian.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is no body of research that proves that saturated fat causes heart disease. Google Ronald Krauss, one of the foremost lipid researchers, for his metastudies last year that showed no correlation.

I had a heart attack in 2009 and came to this lifestyle after doing considerable research and rejecting the debilitating medications proffered by my cardiologist. I wasn't intending to lose weight but I did - about 10kg. I've had lots of inflammation symptoms, such as blocked sinuses, clear and I feel great. I look a lot better naked these days too. The combination of diet and PB fitness has me full of energy. I eat lots of saturated and monunsaturated fats. They taste great and are very satisfying

Get your dad on to PB
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast