Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Controversy page

hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member

Vitamin D Controversy

Primal Fuel
    My mom and I have been having a little argument about Vitamin D--I've been saying it's healthy and you need about half an hour a day at the very least, but she's very skeptical. Today she sent me an email with the following points and the CW websites from whence they came.

"1. Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin D

Vitamin D toxicity can cause non-specific symptoms such as anorexia, weight loss, polyuria, and heart arrhythmias. More seriously, it can also raise blood levels of calcium which leads to vascular and tissue calcification, with subsequent damage to the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys [1]. The use of supplements of both calcium (1,000 mg/day) and vitamin D (400 IU) by postmenopausal women was associated with a 17% increase in the risk of kidney stones

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/

2. Avoid doses of vitamin D above 1000 IU, as this can be toxic.

http://www.pamf.org/patients/CalciumHandout.html"

My question is, do you guys know of any websites or studies that can prove this garbage wrong?

Thanks and Grok On!

maba is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D Council

hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member
    Fantastic! That's literally EXACTLY the info I was looking for--and it was in the very first sentence! Thanks a lot. Now I can go and win an argument with my mom :P

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    What garbage?
    Toxic or not, if your body only requires X amount of something per day to thrive and be healthy, whats the point of cramming 10 times that amount in?
    Convincing the naive masses that we are all somehow 'deficient' in this or that is a great way to sell supplements.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    Toxic or not, if your body only requires X amount of something per day to thrive and be healthy, whats the point of cramming 10 times that amount in?
    New mechanisms inside the human body that depend on vitamin D are discovered every year. We don't know what's the amount X needed by all of these mechanisms that have been discovered (just for the most basic ones) and we certainly don't know the correct amount for the mechanisms not yet discovered.

I think an argument based on supply during human evolution is much more convincing than an argument based on demand determined by a preliminary understanding of its function in the human body.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    I have to say I'm skeptical about Vitamin D supplementation (not sun). Mostly because the entire medical establishment is pushing it as a cure-all for everything, which immediately gets my flags up. I'm just not sure enough research is in to be definitive either way. And I'm also skeptical of supplementation in general because, as my doc hubby says, "Americans have the most expensive pee in the world."
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    "Americans have the most expensive pee in the world."
    I think he's 100% correct.

Supplement marketing is one of the biggest cons going - but a clever one.

There's a reason some company's re-worded their products as "supporting a healthy immune system" from "boost your immune system".

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I was prescribed doses of 50,000 iu vitamin D by a reputable rheumatologist.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maba View Post
    Vitamin D Council
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I have to say I'm skeptical about Vitamin D supplementation (not sun). Mostly because the entire medical establishment is pushing it as a cure-all for everything, which immediately gets my flags up. I'm just not sure enough research is in to be definitive either way. And I'm also skeptical of supplementation in general because, as my doc hubby says, "Americans have the most expensive pee in the world."
    When I dared to express this very thing on "The Vitamin D Thread" on the Odds and Ends section I got royally jumped all over. I did a little digging into the Vitamin D Council. Every single one of their listed sponsors sells either vitamin D or Vitamin D testing kits. Why is it that we will rant about the evils of Big Pharma but when Big Vita (the gazillion $/yr supplement industry) tells us we are Deficient, GASP!, where is my debit card?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast