Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Controversy page 3

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think supplementing can be a good idea, but I've watched a parade of supposedly crucial, critical vitamins pass by, fads that come and go like skinny jeans and mullets. Megadoses of vitamin C, A, E, now D & K2 (remember beta-carotene? B-12 shots? Oat bran? Calcium's still all over the place, but its star is fading...Viactiv chews'll never be as much fun as drinking a box of wine for the resveratrol!)

I'm not opposed to any of them, but there's no urgency about, say, Vitamin E supplementation the way there is about Vitamin D, these days. Why?)

I think supplements are valuable to put us back into balance, post-SAD. But indefinitely, in megadoses? Probably not necessary for most people. But who knows?

Paleobird Guest
    Supplements are not a public service. They are a gazillion dollar a year Industry. They make money when you buy supplements regardless of the price of one bottle.

But we are all deficient in vitamin D.
    How do you know that?
    Because this study said so.
    And who paid for that study?
    Um, the people who are selling Vitamin D.

Why does this not bother people?

And as for the argument that people in northern latitudes will always need supplementation. I seem to remember a bunch of folks a while back called the Vikings. They lived way up north and kicked some serious tail, all with no Vitamin D capsules.

I'm not now nor was I ever saying that vitamin D deficiency does not exist in some people some times. I'm just saying that is has been made a catch all self diagnosis for every conceivable malady. Most Vitamin D deficiency could easily be cured by people getting out from behind their computers and getting outside more often.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Most Vitamin D deficiency could easily be cured by people getting out from behind their computers and getting outside more often.
    See - that's a statement with even less evidence than the studies you are dissing. And - you don't live in the NE, do you? because getting outdoors regularly ain't that easy in winter, and you don't get all that much sun when you do. BTW my sister was diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" - a made up disease with no known cause or cure - totally cured with a megadose of D and regular sups at 2,000 IU. The disadvantages of dosing with D? I haven't really seen or heard of any yet. I mean, I like your skepticism but you've got no evidence to back your skepticism other than the fact that you've been burned in the past by B and E. And anecdotally, D seems to be good for me and my immediate family, with almost no cost and zero side effects.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird, I absolutely share your skepticism about the supplement industry and supplementation in general. I specifically detest the "nutrient-chasing" mentality of conventional medical thought that fitmom mentions. I'll only consider supplementing things that have a reason to be deficient even in the face of an ideal diet, like magnesium (b/c our soils are so deficient that even a perfect diet can't supply enough to make up my lifelong overuse of it to feed my lifelong sugar habit). D is one of those things b/c of our sun phobia. I think about Vikings a lot, too - they, and other Northern peoples, consumed vast quantities of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, K) via oily animals of the sea, and they were outside a great deal more than we are. Anyone who is not very fair is at an even greater risk of deficiency at northern latitudes.

This is only tentative anecdotal evidence, but my husband started taking D a few weeks ago, and within two weeks, the eczema he's had for decades is nearly gone. He's off of it now to see if it comes back. The D was the only change he made. We like experimenting with ourselves, lol.

I personally intend to continue increasing my family's un"protected" outdoor skin time forever - but keep my mind open to D supplementation when we don't succeed.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I live in the Northeast U.S., I'm dark-skinned, I have an office job, and even in the summer I don't feel comfortable wearing revealing clothing. I was severely deficient in Vitamin D a few years ago, and that was the same year that I was really sick and depressed for at least five months. Yes, correlation, not causation, but since taking Vitamin D I haven't gotten sick like I used to during those 'dark ages,' and my depression never gets so bad.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Supplements are not a public service. They are a gazillion dollar a year Industry. They make money when you buy supplements regardless of the price of one bottle.

But we are all deficient in vitamin D.
    How do you know that?
    Because this study said so.
    And who paid for that study?
    Um, the people who are selling Vitamin D.

Why does this not bother people?

And as for the argument that people in northern latitudes will always need supplementation. I seem to remember a bunch of folks a while back called the Vikings. They lived way up north and kicked some serious tail, all with no Vitamin D capsules.

I'm not now nor was I ever saying that vitamin D deficiency does not exist in some people some times. I'm just saying that is has been made a catch all self diagnosis for every conceivable malady. Most Vitamin D deficiency could easily be cured by people getting out from behind their computers and getting outside more often.
    Looking at things with a suspicious or critical eye is one thing. But, you seem to be summarily dismissing studies based on the people doing them or paying for them and the motives you are projecting on to them, not the actual studies or study design or results. My vet has a vested interest in the services they promote and offer that ALSO happen to offer some benefit to my pets....I don't not vaccinate or not spay/neuter because my vet is obviously biased to have me do these things so they can line their greedy little pockets. </sarcasm>
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    In my field, we talk about the relative cost of false positives versus false negatives (action versus inaction, in this case). On the one hand, you might waste $15 on a little bottle of placebo pills. On the other hand, it might boost your immune system, brain function, bone health, etc. as claimed, or it might only do one of those things. No one has convinced me there is any real downside to taking D.
    I will be interested to see more studies too but what's out there is enough to convince me to take action.

Paleobird Guest
    Whatever makes you happy

aktres is offline Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18767337
    Vitamin D and living in northern latitudes--an endemic risk area for vitamin D deficiency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May20.html

Pediatricians scattered around the country have been surprised to see children suffering from rickets, a bone disorder caused by vitamin D deficiency that had been largely relegated to a bygone era. A few doctors have come across adults who were disabled by severe muscle weakness and pain, sometimes for years, until they were treated for undiagnosed vitamin D deficiency. And recent studies suggest low vitamin D may be putting the elderly at higher risk for the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis and life-threatening falls and fractures.

But beyond bone and muscle problems, some evidence suggests a dearth of vitamin D may be associated with an array of more serious illnesses, including many forms of cancer, high blood pressure, depression, and immune-system disorders such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.
    "Imagine you're a space alien looking down on Earth. You have these humans who evolved in the Horn of Africa, as nudists living around the equator. They would have been getting lots of vitamin D through their skin. Then they suddenly . . . move north and put on lots of clothes and block out most of their capacity to make vitamin D," said Reinhold Vieth, a University of Toronto vitamin D researcher. "For me it's a no-brainer. We're not getting enough."
    "All along the northern United States, where we have long winters, a lot of snow, not much sunshine all winter, there is endemic vitamin D deficiency," said Paresh Dandona of the State University of New York at Buffalo, who treated six patients disabled by misdiagnosed vitamin D deficiencies.

A number of studies have found what could be disturbingly low levels of vitamin D in many populations, including children, the elderly and women. One federal study of women nationwide found that perhaps nearly half of African American women of childbearing age may be vitamin D deficient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe...-vitamin-d.htm
    Except during the summer months, the skin makes little if any vitamin D from the sun at latitudes above 37 degrees north (in the United States, the shaded region in the map) or below 37 degrees south of the equator. People who live in these areas are at relatively greater risk for vitamin D deficiency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    too much of anything is a bad thing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast