Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Controversy page 2

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    for me. taking 5k vit d 5 days a week
    a) haven't had a sunburn since (very white girl who burns easily & spends a lot of time outside)
    b) mood is up/stable
    c) only had 1 cold since starting that dose 6 or so months ago & it was because I skipped several doses.
    i was not PB compliant by any means until the first of Feb. so i can't say it was because i was eating pb/paleo.
    i'll continue taking it at those levels
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    When I dared to express this very thing on "The Vitamin D Thread" on the Odds and Ends section I got royally jumped all over. I did a little digging into the Vitamin D Council. Every single one of their listed sponsors sells either vitamin D or Vitamin D testing kits. Why is it that we will rant about the evils of Big Pharma but when Big Vita (the gazillion $/yr supplement industry) tells us we are Deficient, GASP!, where is my debit card?
    I think it's always good to know who's funding what, but it kinda makes sense that folks who sell vit D related stuff would support an organization that promotes vit. D. That doesn't necessarily mean the integrity of the organization is compromised. I've never bought a testing kit, but vit D is one of the cheapest supplements you can buy. I can't imagine Big Pharma /Big Vita getting rich off of just vit. D supplement sales.

I'm one of those folks who rarely sees the sun. I just don't like being outside, though I try to get 30 minutes a day because it probably is good for me. I've seen dramatic improvements in mood since starting vit D supplementation. I also haven't really gotten sick (despite my hubs having 2 or 3 colds/flus)...but that's probably due to overall improvements in lifestyle - better food quality, less sugar/grains, less stress, better sleep in addition to supplementation.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D supplementation is breaking the bank for me. I spent $5 for 2 months worth of supps. Those fat cats are fleecing me. Anyone else have any good reasons why flus and colds are more prominant during the time you have the least sun exposure. It kinda makes sense.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    My endocronologist checks my Vitamin D level, along with my normal blood panel, every six months. Prior to taking 10k a day my levels were in the teens. With supplementation its in the 60's. I had severe depression during the winter prior to supplementation, not a problem any more. Also in the two plus years I've been supplementing I've not had any colds/flu/or any other associated issues. For me, it's a no brainer.

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    I try to get sunlight personally, but I also keep some cod liver oil around. I dose that in place of my normal O-3 Fish Oil to the tune of 3000 IU's of Vita D. I only do this when it seems I am getting the "winter blues". Symptoms being mild non-specific depression and "mental fog"

The only supliment I take on the regular are is Fish Oil. I have B12/B complex and Vitamen C around for when I need an extra boost in the morning. Taking the B12/C combo seems to get me moving when I am having trouble in the morning. All of this is just personal experience so YMMV.
    Last edited by Kaeden; 02-21-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    When I dared to express this very thing on "The Vitamin D Thread" on the Odds and Ends section I got royally jumped all over. I did a little digging into the Vitamin D Council. Every single one of their listed sponsors sells either vitamin D or Vitamin D testing kits. Why is it that we will rant about the evils of Big Pharma but when Big Vita (the gazillion $/yr supplement industry) tells us we are Deficient, GASP!, where is my debit card?
    Amen, sister! Guess I'm glad I haven't been jumped on yet. I got jumped a bit on another thread recently and it sure doesn't feel nice.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It does seem likely to me that we evolved in the presence of high circulating levels of vitamin D. If I recall correctly, the other miracle vitamins that have been touted were usually based on retrospective human studies where they would say, for example, people who ate the most Vitamin E had the least Alzheimers....or something like that. Then suddenly everyone would be cramming vitamin E down their throats. I think there is just more evidence on a both a basic scientific level and from looking at the amounts of Vitamin D we would have if we lived in our natural environment, outdoors in the sun. The other difference with D is we can actually measure the deficiency in most people, where the wasn't really true with other vitamins.

But for me, the real kicker is how I feel. There is a clear difference in my health if I am vitamin D sufficient.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

My story

I have (mild) congestive heart failure and diabetes.

About a year and a half ago, I lost a tooth. My body reabsorbed it. My CW doc said to take calcium, which I did. 1000 IU.

After I joined MDA, Cillakat convinced me I should be taking vitamin D. I did (4000 IU) and stopped taking calcium. I am convinced that my skin, hair, respiration, etc. have improved. I have only had two mild colds this winter. No flu. Knock on wood.

But I still craved dairy and ate far more than I should to lose weight. About two weeks ago, i thought I was coming down with a cold. Actually, I think I was coming down with one. So i started taking ~20,000 IU of D per day. The cold never happened. But, more importantly, no craving for dairy. Might sprinkle a tablespoon of good pastured cheese on a dish. Still put some cream in my coffee. But it is not half coffee/half cream. So, IMHO, I was getting more than enough calcium but not utilizing it because of not enough D.

I have cut way back on supplements. But no way I will ever get as much sun as Grok did.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well for what it's worth I've had all the anecdotal benefits of Vit D that others claim, but who knows, it's not a study and I changed other things as well. Still - less sunburn, first year of no flu and no cavities, much less winter blues (and wow it has been brutal!) etc. I may have spent $15 on D pills in total. My 2c.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how low mine had gotten, but the first time it got tested, after I'd been supplementing for six months or more, it was 28. If your levels stay high without supplements, OK! Not all of us can do that. But, I'm North of the 45th parallel in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

If you don't trust the Vitamin D Council, try the Heart Scan Blog on vitamin D.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast