Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about egg intolerance page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Talk to me about egg intolerance

Primal Fuel
    Ironman (my SO) has been primal for about a year. For the first 8 months, he ate 3-4 eggs almost every day. Then, the eggs started making him sick -- sapped energy and upset stomach for several hours after eating them.

We've tried farm fresh eggs (his intolerence coincided with winter, when my hens stopped laying for the season, and we thought commercial eggs might be the culprit), duck eggs (from my ducks, so also fresh), yolks only...no dice. Egg whites only seem okay, at least as part of a dish like Mark's primal enchiladas, but who wants to eat plain egg whites?

Has anyone developed an egg intolerence from too frequent egg consumption over a long period? How long did you have to refrain from eating them before the intolerance eased...or did it?

Any other thoughts on the subject?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    I could swear there was a thread half a year to a year ago about people having to pull back from eating eggs for a period of time because it made them sick. Could be like eating liver--it's good for you but you just shouldn't eat it every day. Perhaps he should try a whole 30 without eggs and see if he can tolerate them again.

Right -- I think that's exactly what happened. I'm hoping someone can help us guess how long it'll take to "cure" it.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    When I was vegan it was for "health" reasons. I have intolerence to both eggs and milk. I had hope that after years of no eggs that it would be different. Sadly, I am even more sensitive to them now.

I hope it goes a different way for your hubby because I think Primal eating would be so much easier and cheaper with eggs.

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    I love eggs, but once in awhile I go through this stage where they absolutely REPULSE me (after "needing" to have one every day), as soon as I start craving them again, I figure I am okay.. But I tend to be very intuitive with my body, a skill I'm sure anyone can pick up..
    Sorry this probably wasn't helpful at all! Lol.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    This happened to me. I was eating lots of eggs every day, and suddenly when I'd eat them I would have severe stomach cramps, nausea, sluggishness and just generally yucky feeling.

I waited a few months and tried them, and have found that I can tolerate them when the yolk is completely cooked, like scrambled, omelette or in something but I can't do runny yolks. I had poached eggs and the stupid stomach cramps were intolerable. Hoping that with time I'll be able to have my beloved poached eggs again.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Fully cooked, eh? Good to know! I don't think he's tried that!

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I have an egg intolerance from too much exposure and find that the easiest way to keep my consumption at a comfortable level is to buy a dozen once a month and once they're gone, they're gone. This was after giving them up for a couple of months. So far it's been working well.

Interesting, thanks jennf!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I've read that you can develop an allergy to them over time with constant consumption, but that you can eliminate this allergy by laying off for 6 weeks. Dunno if it's true, but a few weeks ago I was feeling icky when eating them so I backed off (daily consumption for how many months?) for a few weeks, and now I am eating them again, but not every day. Too cheap and easy to drop altogether.

One of these days I'll drop 'em for 6 weeks just to see what happens.

Hmmm, 6 weeks of grassfed beef 3x a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast