Thread: New Food Challenge- Green Kohlrabi page

nopie is offline Senior Member

Question New Food Challenge- Green Kohlrabi

Primal Fuel
    I made a challenge to myself to try to pick up a new whole Paleo food each time I get groceries, I tried celery root and kale (from seeing ideas on other posts on here) and both are now a staples in my house.

Today I was feeling adventurous- I tried to score some beef heart- but no luck. I did pick up a new veggie I hadn't heard of or tried before thought. "Green Kohlrabi". I did a quick google so I have a few ideas of what to try with it but if anyone here has tried before and knows much about it I am all ears for ideas

Here is what I pulled off of Google, sounds great because I was thinking I need to find more vitamin C sources!

Kohlrabi is a vegetable that is a member of the cabbage family. It’s a distinctive looking vegetable, with a ball-like bulb, the edible part of the plant, but it is not as rich in nutrients as the leaves. Some people say it has a taste similar to broccoli stems only sweeter. Kohlrabi should be harvested before it reaches full maturity; otherwise, it becomes woody. This vegetable is a healthy addition to a raw salad or steamed or roasted to create a side dish.

Varieties: There are two varieties of kohlrabi the green and purple. The coloring should be light for the green one and deep for the purple one. The greens for both types should be crisp and firm.

Nutrient Content: per 1 cup (140g) raw Kohlrabi

* Vitamin C: 84mg
    * Potassium: 472mg
    * Carbohydrates: 8.4g
    * Protein: 2.3g
    * Fiber: 4.9g
    * Calories: 36

purple variety

Benefits:

* Kohlrabi is high in bioflavonoids, plant pigments that work with vitamin C and other antioxidant to prevent the cell damage that promotes cancer.
    * Kohlrabi is also high in indoles, chemicals that reduces the effects of estrogen, and thus may reduce the risk of breast cancer.
    * Kohlrabi helps stabilize blood sugar imbalances and is beneficial for hypoglycemia and diabetes.
    * Kohlrabi reduces swelling of the scrotum.
    * Kohlrabi is a good source of vitamin C; a 1/2 – cup serving provides 50% of the adult RDA. This vitamin so essential for maintaining healthy skin, connective tissue, and a strong immune system.

* Kohlrabi is a good Source of Potassium. Potassium is one of the most important minerals in the body. Potassium is important for proper functioning of every cell in the body and is critical for muscle contractions and controlling the heartbeat. It also helps to lower blood pressure. Studies have shown that a potassium rich diet can also reduce blood pressure in those who are hypertensive.
    * Kohlrabi is high in dietary fiber. A serving of kohlrabi provides five grams of soluble fiber – the kind that’s important for heart health.
    * Kohlrabi is low in calories and fat, with only 36 calories in a cup of raw kohlrabi, it’s a food you can enjoy without regret. Its little fat content is needed to absorb the fat soluble vitamins.

Buying and storing tips: Kohlrabi can grow up to 40 pounds; they’re sweetest when smaller, about the size of a tennis ball. Large kohlrabi tends to be woody. Choose firm, heavy kohlrabi with deep green leaves, avoiding any with browning or yellowing leaves. Store kohlrabi, refrigerated and wrapped in plastic, for up to four days.

Preparation tips:Wash kohlrabi just before using. Peel it, cut it in 1/4-inch (0.6cm) slices, and sauté in butter or olive oil, or boil. To prepare the leaves, wash them; remove the middle stems, and sauté like spinach.

Drawbacks: People who get gas after eating other cruciferous vegetables may have the same response to kohlrabi.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Haven't eaten Kohlrabi for years - thanks for reminding me of it! And I didn't know it was so rich in Potassium!!

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sliced or julienned it can replace broccoli in any asian recipe. It actually has a flavor almost identical to broccoli stems and works well thinly sliced in salads
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton