Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark's typical calorie intake from Book page 2

Tarlach is offline Member

Shop Now
    [quote]

Erm. If you say so. Bucking the energy ratio like that would seem to defy the laws of physics, though. Even if you reduce insulin output to almost nil and are storing very little of what you eat as fat what you take in is still going somewhere.</blockquote>

The body is not a closed system and not all fuel consumed is converted to energy.

Bodily functions are controlled by hormones. Releasing stored fat is not dependent upon a calorific deficit.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

@ Z - Thanks for the link.

@ Tarlach - While I'll admit I'm still skeptical, I'm looking into it. Because quite frankly that would be bloody awesome if it's true.

zlangley Guest

Here's one more link. It's Taubes' response to a critique of his book but it summarizes his book very well. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...ob-reviews.pdf

Jedi is offline Member

thanks for the thoughtful discussion, am going to look up the links; I guess I was panicking a bit thinking I would have to track calories to keep them low, and one thing i want to get away from is that!!

Becks09 Guest

I think the problem with unlimited calories would be that even if your carb intake is almost at zero, there will be some insulin in your body that is able to store fat. So eating 8000 calories while burning 2000 obviously isnt going to work.

But there is a difference between eating 2000 calories carbs compared to 2000 calories fat for sure.

BigBeck89 Guest

Also you have to factor in futile cycling.

plus if you've ever really overdone it on eating im sure you've gone to the bathroom and noticed that not all of your calories have been absorbed

plus then theres changiong levels of T3 and T4 change metabolic rate.

thats why mark advocates not worrying about calories and focus on the foods you eat...

and @Becks09 ...youd be hard pressed to consitently put away 8000kcal a day of REAL food...its be easy with doughnuts and cereal, but not real food

Nick Guest

1) Protein causes insulin response, just not as much as carbs.

2) Acylation Stimulating Protein. Insulin is not the only signal regulating fat storage and release. See here: http://sparkofreason.blogspot.com/2008/06/swift-kick-in-asp.html

The body has a remarkable flexibility to turn on and off functions dependent on how much energy is available -- thermogenesis, immune response, DNA and cell repair mechanisms, ion gradients, muscle building/wasting. Given a healthy amount of protein, your body can dispose of quite a bit of fat powering these functions to a greater extent. That is not to say you won't ever gain weight at all -- Grok still would've had a need to fatten up a bit for winter on an all-mammoth diet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12