Thread: Supplementing with fish oil: aye or nay? page

maba is offline Senior Member

Supplementing with fish oil: aye or nay?

Primal Fuel
    I've been supplementing with fish oil since I turned primal and upped that amount to 2000mg when I became pregnant. I've been wondering about how helpful it really is since my intake of O6 is minimal and I eat wild salmon regularly. And then I come across this article now. What are your thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/67qxwef

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you're still pregnant (or breastfeeding), there have been several studies pointing to positive benefits for you and the baby from O3 supplementation. Fewer birth complications, better for the baby's brain, etc.

It's great that you eat salmon regularly and you might as well continue, but my take is, it's easiest to have a steady intake using the fish oil.

As for the study, 5% of a mouse's diet is a lot! Much more than we could possibly ingest. When you compare that with studies of actual humans and how much it's helped them, I tend to put more credence in the latter.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

peril is offline Senior Member
    I was taking 6000mg of fish oil (1080mg EPA and 720mg DHA) a day, as well as eating oily fish most days. A couple of articles by Chris Masterjohn on Daily Lipid late last year caused me to reappraise this. Essentially the points are that total PUFA intake should be minimised and that O# should be mostly DHA. The oily fish has more DHA than EPA

Also I was getting headaches while doing pushups and I was afraid that my blood was too thin. So I dropped all the fish oil supplements and am just relying on the oily fish, which gives me about 1500mg of O3 per day, mostly DHA. Also save money this way so its win-win. And no more headaches
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If your diet is nutritious enough and protective like that of traditional cultures then you will probably be ok, but these people weren't eating fish oil capsules. If you are eating fish on a regular basis you probably don't need it especially if you are eating grass fed or pastured animal foods.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian