Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's 'OMG I'm doing this' journal page

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member

Jac's 'OMG I'm doing this' journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All righty, first post!!
    I'm almost 48, female, 5' 5 1/2" tall and have a pretty stable weight of about 220lbs. That's a BMI of just over 36. Looong history of tummy pains, massive changes in tummy size and shape over the day, joint pains, fuzzy head, almost always hungry. Little exercise. Brain-heavy work, which I love. Oh, and heart issues - lots of ectopic beats, which I treat with grape juice.

It's been a spiritual journey of epic proportions to get here. Learning to love myself, learning to have faith, yada yada. Anyway, I'm here, and I'm hopeful.

I weighed myself for the first time in over 2 years just over a week ago, when I was doing the reading/research and thinking about trying this way of life. I started eating more primally at that time, and have increased my adherence over the last week. I'm more or less primal for the last 4 days - still using up a couple of things in the cupboard that are OK but not as good as I want them to be. I really like only reading food labels with 3 ingredients - if I can't read them with my glasses off, I won't buy them .

I've used Fitday for the last few days, just to see what my eating is measuring at, and still I'm having more carbs than fat!! It's not easy overcoming a lifetime of low fat, and since it's late summer here, the local fruits are amazing. I'm also eating corn as a vegetable (not any of its processed forms), which may need to go eventually, but that's OK for now. My calorie intake is really low for me (I could never get the weightwatchers points within cooee of acceptable without being starving.) 1500, 1900, and yesterday was 1000 because the 1900 made me feel full enough that I couldn't eat much. It's mid-morning on Monday here, of day 4, and I still haven't eaten.

The best news from the last few days, apart from the really low appetite, is that I haven't had to take pain relief for the shooting pains in my feet that often stop me from relaxing much less sleeping. Yaaay! And a small weight loss, too.

I have, in the fridge, a meal of smoked chicken, green veges and fresh tomato, with butter to melt when I heat it up. Yum - can't wait til I'm hungry!

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Congrats and keep it up!!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

Jac
    Good grief, sometimes there's just too much information and my brain is starting to hurt. I decided I needed to know how much protein to eat, and that's led me down a path that involves numbers and calculators - that's NEVER a good thing!! Anyway, it's done now, and I'm apparently overeating the protein. I need to be aiming for 115-120g per day, and bringing the carbs down to around 100. Maybe I'll limit the fruit to one a day, and judging from how full I feel right now, maybe limiting the protein will make me feel more comfortable, lol.

Paleobird Guest
    Hello Jac,

Don't get too caught up in all the math. All that calculating just focuses your mind too much on food. Eat protein and veggies when you are hungry and if you're not hungry, don't eat. It's that simple.

Suggestions : yes, I really find I do better with minimal fruit. I stick to berries and only maybe once or twice a week. Once you already have a bod like Mark's wife, then fruit is not big deal. The rest of us mortals have to be a little more careful starting out. Also : Corn. Is. Not. A. Vegetable. It's where they get high fructose corn syrup. Bleh.

You are going to do great at this. Just relax and enjoy it.

Robin

Jac
    Hey Paleobird, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I know the corn has to go :-), and so does the soy milk I think. But one step at a time! I've managed to scare myself today by looking at numbers - including calories. Bugger. I'll stop doing that now!!

Becomeyourdream, nice to meet you!

I was kind of full tonight, so had my steak with a tomato and that was all. Heaps of veges at lunchtime, though. I'm sitting here late at night, kind of wanting carbs. Not too bad, and possibly I'm thirsty. Is thirst a big thing when you start out? I feel like I've been downing the water all day, but I'm still dry.

I'm loving the support here. Goodnight!

Jac

Day 5

This is where I fall over when I try to make change. I can go hard out for a few days, white knuckle it for a couple more, then go right back into my (dis)comfort zone. This time it's been a bit different - I didn't go hard out, and there hasn't been any white knuckling so far.

Damn, though - I have no idea how to read my body!! I don't think I'm hungry, but I'm thinking about food - specifically sweet food. I have enough good stuff in the pantry to make a primal treat, and I also have some dark chocolate, but that might be a slippery slope and I don't want to do it!! Also, it makes me feel weird to think of it. Not excited like I would be if I was actually starving.

I think I'll put on some music and vacuum the house - see if that shakes loose something I can recognise!

Paleobird Guest
    I found that when I ditched the soy I also got rid of all kinds of digestive "issues" like bloating and gas. Not going back there again. Definitely, you do need extra water to help flush all the nasty toxic things out of your body. It's really easy to mis read your body's cues as to what is hunger vs thirst when you are still cleaning things out. If you feel hungry, try drinking some water first. If you are still hungry in a half an hour, then have something to eat.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jac, welcome to it! Hope this all works as well for you as it does for many here. :)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Jac
    OK, this 'minute by minute' journalling won't last, and is a no doubt as boring as hell, but it helps me to know what I think .

I was starving - 30 minutes with the vacuum cleaner and it was very clear! I just had no idea what it was to be hungry but not in pain - usually hunger = cramps, irritability and fog. Go figure

3 sausages, 2 huge tomatoes and 2 eggs cooked in butter. Ate most of it, and the dog will enjoy what's left. Still thirsty, but not as dry as yesterday.

Re the soy - I'm lactose intolerant and have about 40mls of soy milk a day in my tea. I suspect that will fade away as time goes on and I get more used to the herbal teas. I'd forgotten how good rooibos tea is, and I've always loved peppermint tea!

Thanks for the support!

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try coconut milk in your tea instead of the soy? I love it!
    Others use almond milk - but the coconut milk gives you that yummy fat that feels so rich and keeps you full longer!

Good luck - we have very similar stats, so I'm looking forward to following the path together!
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast