Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's 'OMG I'm doing this' journal page 2

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Excellent, a buddy!!

Sorry, but coconut milk in tea sounds truly awful!!

Paleobird Guest
    Blue Diamond makes an unsweetened almond milk in both vanilla and chocolate flavors. Heavenly.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you can also make your own almond milk.

blender, date, water, almonds. soak almonds and then blend, then add more water and soak, and blend, and then add more water, and soak, and blend, and then strain (i use an old t-shirt), and you can add vanilla if you would like.

in fact, to make it vanilla, you might add the seeds from part of a bean in the earliest soaking phase.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    the date adds sweetness, btw. it can be omitted. i like mine with dates. and i use spring water, not tap.

Jac

Day 6

Slept really poorly last night, thinking about Christchurch and worrying about my friends there.

It feels crazy to focus on such tiny things as my eating, the weather and traffic. On the other hand, I'm so grateful that the big things in my life are all perfect - I spent time with all my children and husband and my animals last night, then lay down in clean, dry and safe bedding. Since things are so perfect, I have the luxury of focusing on my health, and making choices about how I live.

I've given up on fitday for now - the values are really off compared to the ones on the packaging, and there is no ingredients list to cross reference with. I could enter everything manually, but it really goes against what I want to achieve with PB eating. It was helpful, though, in that it made me re-evaluate the place of fruit in my diet.

I'm still taking this a step at a time, aiming for 100% and low carb within the next couple of weeks.
    1. I've taken corn out of my eating, even when it's on the cob because Corn. Is. Not. A. Vegetable
    2. I'm limiting fruit to one serving a day. If I don't lose weight, or reach a plateau, I can drop that to every other day or only on weekends, or something more drastic that I don't want to think about right now
    3. soy will come out soon, but for now I'll minimise it with the intention of tapering
    4. will get gluten free sausages when I shop this weekend

Last night I had sausages and green veges for tea, and have had a hardboiled egg so far this morning. I'm really struggling to get the fat into my eating! Will work on that. For lunch I have 2 more sausages (the last of the non-primal ones), another egg and some nuts. I've brought a small container of mayo to dip things into, to add some fat!

Playing is my focus for movement for the moment, and there was none of that yesterday. Will make a point of it today, if only as a distraction from current trauma.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    the date adds sweetness, btw. it can be omitted. i like mine with dates. and i use spring water, not tap.
    Thanks Zoe, sounds like a weekend project to try it out!

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Blue Diamond makes an unsweetened almond milk in both vanilla and chocolate flavors. Heavenly.
    Hmm, I don't know that we get that brand here. Will try some of the smaller healthfood shops and see what's available. Also, I'm going to try Zoe's suggestion of making my own and see how that works out!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    if you're just having your soy in your tea, I'm sure you can live without it... I can tell you that coconut milk in tea is bloody awful

You might want to consider the odd protein shake, I use a brand called Red 8 whey powder?, but I dont know about the lactose in that??? The sweetener in it is Stevia which is good. I have it with coconut cream and iced water and it is a nice filling breaky drink when I just cant be bothered to make bacon and eggs.

Are you taking any supplements. Fish oil and vit d3 I would probably rate as the biggies. I order through iherb which is pretty reasonable even with the $12US delivery fee for DHL. I get some of my skin care from there as well to make the purchases worth while.

and yeah sleep, good sleep. I think thats going to be something hard to come by the next few weeks as we worry about whats happening in chch. It's just so surreal to me... imagine, there you are walking down the street or in a bus one day and next thing you're dead as a building collapses on top of you. And Chch didnt even know it had a fault under it until september. scary indeed.

Jac

Talking Day 7 begins!

Still tired today, and a bit down. Had a late evening trip to ED with my son last night - he tripped over the dog and fractured his scaphoid - not too bad, but uncomfortable for him. He's a stoic 17yo now, so not at traumatic as it was when he was a little boy and things like this happened!

Play yesterday - nope. Spent the early evening watching more earthquake coverage, then the ED trip.

Food - cup of tea, 2 x sausages and 1 more hb egg for a late breakfast at work, then not hungry at all until about 5.30. This raised an interesting issue - since I wasn't hungry, I didn't leave my desk. Not good for movement, or for playing.
    Snack - raw carrot dipped in almond butter
    Dinner - lovely big pork shop, multicoloured veges with butter. Cup of tea.

Nothing so far today, except tea. Am very conscious of how much soy I'm having and the need to let it go.

Having some low grade thoughts about chocolate - not too hard to ignore, but I worry a bit about them developing into cravings. I think it's to do with not getting enough fat into my diet, or being tired. I'll keep on adjusting my eating and get more sleep tonight, and see what happens.

Listening to Taube's book - Why we get fat - and feeling thoroughly hopeless about losing weight. I still have 2.5 hours to go, so I'm hoping he'll say we are reprogrammable.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Don't let the hopeless feelings win! When they start to surge, check out the success stories thread, or those posts on the blog. I imagine the stress of the earthquake is contributing to you feeling down (someone very important to me—an expat American—lives in Christchurch and I cannot find out anything about him; it's starting to damage my calm). Be kind to yourself, and be good to yourself: the path that you're on now will bring about improvements, but it does take some time. A small square or two of high-cacao content chocolate will not hurt you any, and in fact may help a little.

I hope your son is doing all right.

(I've been lurking 'round your journal since noticing we're close to the same start point and age. We can do it!)

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast