Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could really use some suggestions page

natural_girl is offline Senior Member

Could really use some suggestions

Primal Fuel
    This is my first post (I have been lurking for awhile) In the past 9 months I have lost 50 lbs on a diet called Ideal Protein but I have since stalled on my weight loss and have got really BORED with the limited diet selection. I was unable to eat most of the packets because I have recently found out I am allergic to dairy (casein) and have a gluten sensitivity. I still need to lose 35 lbs and just can't seem to budge the past 3 months. I would also like to lose about 15% body fat too.
    I am no longer doing that diet because as I stated I was getting bored and the calorie restriction (under 1,000) a day was just really beginning to take a toll on me. For the most part I eat Primal although I have not had fruit in a very long time because of trying to lose weight. After reading many of the forum posts here I think I may also need to give up nuts while I am trying to lose weight also. I do kickboxing 3 days a week and will usually run or do a Jillian Michaels dvd another 2 days. I was "skinny" my whole life until I had kids. I lost all my weight after my first daughter but after my last two kids who are 16 months apart I did not lose. I quit smoking 2 years ago and then gained 45 pounds which I have now lost but I am really tired of looking in the mirror and seeing someone I don't even know. I am 39 and perimenopausal. Should I do IF and if so how often? If anyone could give me some suggestions on what to do I would appreciate it as I am beginning to feel very discouraged!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the book? That would be a great start if you haven't. Here is a quick start guide from Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution website.

http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...QuickStart.pdf
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I second Balance's suggestion that you read the book. If you've already read it, read it again, because I think the starter info in the book is a lot less confusing than you're likely to find here. The forums are full of info...too much info, and some of it contradictory, whereas the book lays everything out pretty clearly.

I was unclear from your intro whether you've been truly primal yet, and if so, for how long? I'm not sure if you've given it a good go yet.

Personally, I wouldn't IF until you've been stable on primal for long enough that it feels second nature and the carbs and other vices don't beckon. IF should feel natural, not punitive or desperate. I've been primal since July of last year, and have only this month started IFing on any regular basis.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Sorry, yes I have read the book and own a copy of it and the recipe book as well. Yes, I have been eating Primal since May 2010. Although I was on the Ideal Protein diet it is just protein shakes or packs and veggies (no starchy ones) and meat. It is essentially a low carb, high protein, low fat diet. However, I never really watched the fat part and still ate olives and some nuts because I felt as though my body was starving for fat. I have a time or two ate pizza ( on vacation or a special occasion literally a handful of times ) or something non-Primal and my stomach blows up like I am pregnant and hold water for days but that is probably because it usually is something that has casein in it. I really need to avoid the casein but it has been hard to come to terms with.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    You really do have to listen to your body. Your Ideal Protein Diet is a lot different from Primal since Ideal Protein uses protein shakes while Primal normally suggests getting your protein from organ meats and other whole foods. Also Primal/Paleo is more High fat/moderate protein opposed to the Protein Diet which is high protein/low fat. So that is probably why your body was craving fat. Just like you, if I have pizza or dairy my stomach balloons. But I am definitely gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant so I avoid those like the plague because I just don't like the way I feel after a meal rich in that stuff. I will normally suffer long after the 20 or so minutes it took me to enjoy those meals.

I think a good resource would be to use FitDay.com and input all your daily food consumption to give you a general idea on where you stand. Since you own a copy of PB you can also take a look at Mark's sample menus and the caloric/macronutrient read out. Your activity level looks sufficient but it is cardio heavy, so I would suggest adding weight training to build more lean muscle and so that you don't plateau on the same workouts.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    It is essentially a low carb, high protein, low fat diet.

Scary. IMO, the biggest mistake people make is making low carb go hand in hand with low fat. Now tack on the 1,000 calorie limit and you have a real train wreck. One that is possibly going to take some time to snap your body out of. I'd go as primal as you can, limit your nuts, dairy and fruit and eat MORE fat and obviously more calories.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I will just say it looks like you are overdoing the cardio. You've read the parts of the book about "chronic cardio" and why it's bad, right?

I would strongly suggest dropping some of the cardio and do lifting or short sprints on those days instead. Also, how's your sleep, play, sunlight intake? You need to take advantage of the whole package.

Good luck, and welcome!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My story is pretty long and I can't put it all down here but I have always (with the exception of smoking cigarettes ~ stupid I know) been pretty health concious. I have always exercised to some degree, watched what I ate and taken vitamins.

As I stated in my PP I never had a weight problem until having children, also never had depression or OCD ( which my mom and brother always had) until having kids. After having my first child I lost all my weight exercising and doing Atkins. I have been into natural health and alternative way of thinking for the last 15 years so this Primal way of eating and living is not new to me. I did develop a major sugar addiction for a short time after quitting smoking which I am sure attributed to my weight gain. However, I realize I am older (but I never really believed and still don't that age is a number) but it just seems for all the effort I put in my body should be losing weight. I don't know just feels like a piece to the puzzle is missing?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Are you sufficient in Vitamin D? It can make a big difference for lots of folks.

You might also want to read Gary Taubes book: Why We Get Fat & What to Do About It.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Are you sufficient in Vitamin D? It can make a big difference for lots of folks.

You might also want to read Gary Taubes book: Why We Get Fat & What to Do About It.
    I take 4,000-6,000 IU of Vitamin D-3 in liquid capsule form every evening. I have now for 2 years or so although I haven't ever had a blood test done.

I read that book Summer of 2009. It is an excellent book!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast