Thread: workout critique page

lucyewok is offline Member

Red face workout critique

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i am a 25 year old woman and need some help and advice on reaching my workout goals. i am 5 feet tall, about 123lbs with a 25inch waist and wear a UK dress size 8 (US size 4 i think). my diet consists of on a typical day, breakfast eggs, Greek yogurt, fruit and nuts, morning snack is fruit nuts or cheese and milk, lunch is usually a chicken thigh salad, or fish and vegetables, chili or some kind of casserole, afternoon snack if i have one is nuts or fruit. i avoid all starchy carbs and sugar, but i'm not a saint and will have the occasional "treat," i drink very little no more than 3 units once a week.

my usual workouts are 2 spinning classes a week, lasting 45 mins, as i usually teach 1 or 2 a week and will attend another if i dont teach 2. i do 2 - 3 weighted workouts a week focusing on body weight, doing circuits of high rep low weight pull ups, press ups, dips, lunges and squats mixed in with abdominal exercises, i do these either to time eg max reps in 30 seconds, without rest between exercises

typical workout

elevated press ups
    side crunch
    one leg squat right leg
    one leg squat left leg
    pull ups
    hanging knee tucks
    reverse lunge to front kick right leg
    reverse lunge to front kick left leg
    pick push ups
    plank

i would perform this circuit 2-3 times and would last between 20 and 30 mins

i want to gain more muscle, and get leaner, but doesnt everyone? i'm not sure if my weight workouts are what is right for me, i have gained strength since i began these kinds of workouts again (as i used to do them then switched to more conventional training last august) and can do at least 3 full body weight dips, before i could do none about 5 weeks ago.
    i especially want to focus on losing fat in my lower body and get leaner much more toned thighs and glutes as i carry my weight in my lower body, being a pear shaped lady but it is not massively noticeable. i understand i can not spot train but would love to know what would give me the best results and my legs are what i want to mainly improve at the moment the most, but also keep improving my upper body also.

i would appreciate any helps on diet and or workouts

thank you

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Ok, here's my critique: too many exercises, too many reps, too low weight. You want to 'gain more muscle, and get leaner'. These two are not incompatible, but understand that going for both at once will mean slower going on both. That said, I'm going for both, though muscle is my main aim, and probably should be for you, going by your post - plus the more muscle you have the easier it is to burn fat (and you'll have a tougher time gaining muscle anyway, being female).

To my mind (and this is the opinion of many far more experienced than myself) the best thing you can do to achieve your goals is this: lift weights and sprint. It's simple, it's hard, but it does work. I'm using a program called 5/3/1 for the weights side, because it fits in with sprinting and doesn't completely wreck your recovery as the volume is lower. You can get strong faster with a different program - Starting Strength for example - but you'll have to eat a lot (a LOT) to keep up with the weight increases, and getting leaner will, at least temporarily, go out of the window. But if you're not concerned with rapidly gaining strength - if you see it as a lifelong process, as you should, in my view - then I think 5/3/1 is a good choice. Eat right, follow the program, sprint a few times a week. Not much else to it.

P.S. Diet-wise, it's recommended to keep protein high all the time, and have higher fat/lower carb on non-lifting days, vice versa on lifting days. Bearing in mind of course that higher carb means more starchy veg, not bread and ice cream or that sort of thing.

thanks

i think i might be doing too much

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. You only need the overhead press, bench, squat and deadlift, plus a few accessory exercises (dips, chins, lunges etc) plus the sprinting. You could even make a case for dropping the bench if you were so inclined, but I think it warrants being left in.

i need to 'calm down'

thanks very much

Balance is offline Senior Member
    If you are really looking to lean out and lose more lower body weight than I think diet is key over exercise. You say that you snack on fruits, nuts and cheese. I think if you really want to lean out you will have to cut down on those three the most. I also agree with Primal Fist on tweaking your workouts a bit. But I still say that the diet needs to be addressed first. A lot of people I know who have really toned down found that giving up dairy has made a huge difference as well as not having more that 1 serving of fruit and nuts per day.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Definitely heavier weights/lower reps.

js290 is offline Senior Member