Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Temptation! page

Jezsh is offline Member

Avoiding Temptation!

Hello!

So...I don't know if any of you can relate, but I find it relatively easy to stick to PB during the week, but whenever the weekend rolls around, I go off the rails. More specifically, whenever I meet my friends, I go off the rails. Pretty much all of our get-togethers involve food and I can't seem to resist it when it's right there in front of me.

In any case, I was wondering two things:
    a) does it get easier to resist with time?
    b) does anyone have any tips that might help me fight back against temptation!

I've tried eating a proper meal beforehand, but that doesn't seem to stop me. I guess maybe I'll have to start lugging snacks with me wherever I go?

Thanks in advance. Hope everyone's had a nice weekend!

-Kat

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Where do you go for your get togethers? Unless it is a candy store I would imagine it could be possible to get some sort of fruit/vegetables and/or meat, and then just ditch the bread/fries whatever or give them to your mates. Telling them casually that you're on a diet and not eating x might also be smart if you haven't already, because else you'll get the feeling that they "notice" you're not eating x or whatever.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Weekends used to be tough for me, too, but with time--and effort-- I figured out strategies that work for me. Make a list of the foods that you will regret eating-- this is usually very predictable. Then a basic list of those you can enjoy without a problem. I know what drinks I can have, what appetizers, main dishes, etc, at most of the popular places in my area. Nowadays most have webpages with their menus so you can figure out 5-6 options, which takes the worry away, and gives no excuse for cheating. If you go to peoples house, make/take some primal goodies (mine usually get eaten pretty snappy). Or my last resort is to say I'm having health issues and can't eat x-y-z, and most people will respect your needs.

Good luck!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Jezsh is offline Member
    Well, here it's a little tricky, because the menus aren't written in English, but I do see your point! I find it less difficult to eat relatively well at restaurants, but at house parties it's just a nightmare, because there is literally nothing I can eat. Think cookies, crisps, chocolate...all flavours and types abound! Usually I can hold off for a little while, but as soon as I start, I can't stop! I'm just not sure what to do with myself in these situations. Generally the biggest issue I experience afterwards is that I'm carb-hungry the next day and want sweet foods. Not a huge deal, but annoying because then it takes more effort to get back to my sweet spot during the week. Some people seem to just be able to look at bad food and think "You! I won't eat you!" but I always seem to lose that battle!

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    I just don't give in to it. I'm doing strict primal for a month (I'm new to this) so I am not allowing any indulgences at all (not even chocolates for Valentines day).
    What sucks for me is everyone in my social circle loves food and has no problems eating what they want. They are all relatively slim and I'm not even close. Most of them don't work out, I'm swinging a sledgehammer and lifting and biking. The times that are hard for me are those times when people are getting together and so care free and I can't be. I start to feel like wtf, why am I the only one who this has to be a freaking issue for?? My body is so resistant to lose weight no matter what I try. So I'm hoping this works, if not I think I'll find a cliff somewhere.
    What helps me with food temptation is to put it in it in the same box with other temptations. I'm married, but sometimes I meet someone that I click with and strikes something in me...but I don't give in to that. Sometimes someone ticks me off and I have the temptation to hit them or otherwise cause them harm...but I don't. So if I can resist temptations in those areas, I can resist it with food.

canio6 Guest
    It can be hard to resist foods if you are hungry and they are there so fill up before going out. Take a sandwich bag of almonds or such with you and keep them in your purse/pocket and snack on a few of those if needed.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Show up full. Uncomfortably full, if you have to. Lots of fat in your belly.

Gordo

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Kat carry some macadamia nuts. They take up little space in a pocket or purse. They're filling and satisfying.

beach.bum is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad1 View Post
    What helps me with food temptation is to put it in it in the same box with other temptations. I'm married, but sometimes I meet someone that I click with and strikes something in me...but I don't give in to that. Sometimes someone ticks me off and I have the temptation to hit them or otherwise cause them harm...but I don't. So if I can resist temptations in those areas, I can resist it with food.
    I really like this advice! Going to try to repeat it to myself whenever I'm tempted to give in to the "have a little sugary treat" voice in my head. Thanks!

uberbulldog is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When tempted eat some fat (avocado, heavy cream or coconut milk smoothie) that will satiate your appetite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast