Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Primal Life ~ Kris C's journal page

Kris C is offline Senior Member

This Primal Life ~ Kris C's journal

Shop Now
    This is my first journal post on the forum. I've been keeping a 2-3 time per week Primal journal personally however. Mainly thoughts on why I started, why I am continuing, just sorting the emotional to understand myself better. It kind of goes along with the Fit Soul Fit Body I began reading the other night. I might transfer them here. Or just continue both. I keep a food journal of MyFitnessPal.com. More user-friendly (to me) than fitday.com. Plus I have been using that one for a while and I like it.

I have been Primal for 2 full weeks now. I lost five pounds in the first week then it seems to have stopped. My problem is I keep getting on the scale. I need to stop that. I did notice my belly seems to have shrunk a bit. When I slide my hand down the usual "bump" isn't as prominent. Yay!! I begin the fitness portion today, using the TRX straps I have and a couple of yoga DVDs. Problem is we are moving in 2 months, and pack-out is in 2 weeks. So I need to remember to put the straps and DVDs in the car so the movers don't take them. Our weights will be gone, so Chris won't be thrilled. Maybe I can get him to use the straps. Or he can just go to the gym. And the treadmill will be sold soon. I can't wait for warmer weather, then I will actually want to get outside. I hate the cold with all my being.

Now that I am getting better with eating (I've been quite good with this and am loving it for the most part, though I think I eat chocolate too often, but it's the good 71% or more dark chocolate) I feel ready for the next step of fitness. I find that I do miss baking, but I don't miss eating what I bake. Well, except for maybe chocolate chip cookies. At some point I will be ready to make those again as a treat once a month or so. Not Primal, I know, but I am okay with that. It's part of that 80/20 Mark talks about in the book, and I've been 95/5 since this began. And I like that. So my cookies once a month will be okay. As long as I bake only 1/2 the recipe and give them away to my neighbors. My neighbors always love me as I always give away my baked goods.

Okay, goals:
    ~First, no more muffin top!
    ~Do a real push-up within a month.
    ~Spend more time outdoors, even in the miserable cold. No problem in the late spring, summer and early autumn.
    ~Run/walk a Disney race, no more than half marathon distance, maybe one of the relays. No more marathons for me. Make it MY goal, not someone else's race.
    ~Look good naked! For me. For my husband.
    ~Have a body a rockstar would love.
    ~Hear someone say, "Wow, she looks great for her age" or something similar.
    ~Wear a bathing suit (bikini?) on our cruise in November/December. And feel confident about it!
    Last edited by Kris C; 02-20-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: spelling errors. Oops!

prairiedog is offline Member
    That initial weight loss is water weight. Not to dismiss it as 'just water weight' because its essential. Your body is recovering from inflammation, but further weight loss will be slower. Just stick with it. Good luck!
    Primal Living since Jan 4/11
    http://prairieprimal.wordpress.com

Thanks Prariedog. I figured it was a water weight thing. Though I was hoping for a more noticeable weight loss. But I suppose that's not as important as the getting fitter, being healthier aspect. Certainly weight will be lost as fat leaves, but some of the weight will turn to muscle and I know that. But numbers on a scale, no matter how we know better than to count on that, still make for a great motivator. I am trying to remind myself that it's about the long term and how my clothing fits and how my body changes shape.

Thanks for reading!

Eva Lution is offline Member
    I just started a journal as well. Looks like we started going primal about the same time.

I hear you on the chocolate chip cookies. While I have had no carb cravings of any sort (72% dark chocolate has been a tremendous help at times), I have wondered when the lure of homemade chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven will strike. I never made them often because I would eat them all.

Good luck. I'll keep looking for your journal entries!

Eva
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

Hi Eva! I am convinced that chocolate chip cookies are the answer to world peace! Seriously, I think it's just the smell of homemade cookies; that smell brings about thoughts of warmth and the perfect cozy home life we all wish we had.

Okay, so Monday was a total wash! Two restaurants in one day. Lunch was in Trier after a very cold walk around one area of the city looking at old Roman ruins. Too cold for me so I didn't enjoy it one bit. Too bad. At the restaurant I ordered the baked potato and salad dish. Translation issues caused this, plus the very limited lunch menu. (Few open places as it was Monday.) The plates were HUGE! I ended up with 2 baked potatoes on my plate with a salad that consisted of lettuce, shredded carrots, corn and shredded beets. I ate the lettuce (and the delicious dressing, oily and mustardy) and some of one baked potato with tons of sour cream on it. Too much food, really. Dinner was at Macaroni Grill on base. We were dining with a friend who was passing through on his way to Afghanistan. I ordered chicken marsala and left the pasta to the side. I ate only the chicken. I was okay. Oh, and 3 glasses of wine over 2 hours. I slept terribly and now am tired and have a headache. Today is a new day.

So far I've had two scrambled eggs with spinach and feta, all cooked in yummy butter. I plan on a salad with tuna in the afternoon and tonight I have to cook a whole chicken before it goes bad. I spent $15 on that bio chicken (germany's word for the organic free range chicken; it has great color and is absolutely delish on its own. Take that Purdue!).

I've started up with yoga again. I've always enjoyed the feeling I have during and after yoga. Yesterday was a Rodney Yee Power Yoga, which is both yoga and cardio, but not so cardio that I lose form (I hate those ones). Today I am not feeling up to it due to the lack of sleep but I plan on using the treadmill, plugging in the ipod and walking a bit later, after school time with the kiddos. Tomorrow will be a yoga day again.

More later...
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

The first part of the day went well, but with a houseguest who wants me to bake, the PM turned to shit. Here it is:
    B: 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and feta, prepared in BUTTER!
    L: 1 can of tuna with organic mayo on 2 romaine leaves. Yum! Should have added a touch of vinegar though.
    D: Chicken is out for tonight, so a can of sardines, because I am a bit hungry, I need some fat (packed in olive oil!) but don't need too much food.
    S: And this is where it took a bad turn. Well, 80/20 right? I've been 90/10 or better since the beginning, and I am quite proud of myself for truly accepting this WOE as my life now. So, I baked M&M cookies for the houseguest. I did input the recipe onto myfitnesspal.com and so I have a breakdown of the recipe's nutrition (or lack of). So, I am allowing a total of 4 cookies, that's between dough tastes and 2 real cookies. I may have had less than that, so I am doing well.

Again, not feeling overly hungry ever, and my energy is up. My only issue is not getting in the walk I was hoping for. It was only a treadmill thing anyway as it is freezing outside. Tomorrow AM is yoga, and I will walk as well. I've been feeling great waking at about 5:30 or 6AM. I love mornings. And I have been getting up after not going to bed till about 10PM. Unheard of 4 weeks ago. I used to go to bed, and nearly fall asleep, at 8PM, and it took the alarm to jar me from my sleep at 6-ish. Not anymore. I LOVE PB! I am really feeling like I am making a huge change in my health and well-being, physically and mentally. Who knew this would happen? I sure didn't. I am getting back my interest in life again! No need for anti-depressants hopefully ever again!

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

February 23, 2011

The USDA Food Pyramid made me fat! Well, not on its own, but I had that realization in the shower just before. I got fat eating crap, junk food from vending machines between classes and alcohol and not enough activity. Add in a pregnancy, stressful marriage at the time, baby born, job and classes, no time for the kids and making a real dinner so stopping for fast food, and I got fat. Then we moved to Spain, I quit smoking, stopped drinking as much, began running. Eventually I added in yoga. I was out and being active. I was eating “better” especially since there were no fast food places, no place for a quick stop for food. And I was trying to be more Food Pyramid-like in my diet, though it was far from perfect. But with all these changes, I was still fat! Yes, I lost some weight and inches, but not that much. Sure, my health was better, my cardio was certainly improved, but I was still fat!

USDA, the government, tells us we should be eating mostly carbs, grains (whole grains!), bread, rice, pasta. And I was! I didn't get as many fruits and veggies as they tell us to, but I was trying to get at least 2 each day, mainly in the veggie form. Dairy, meats, fats, they tell us not as much, and I was following that advice. And I was/am still fat.

I am glad I've stumbled upon Primal Blueprint. Actually, I am glad I bought the Reader's Digest, read the Gary Taubes article about why we get fat and how to not be fat (20 calories a day?!?! Seriously??!?), saw the reference to PB, and bought that in minutes. The science made so much sense to me, then add in personal experience that showed the conventional wisdom didn't necessarily work, and I was all in. I know there are people who have done the “right” thing and are healthy, strong, fit, thin. But for most of us, it's just not true. I know some fat people who have just given up or who truly believe they can't afford the better food and choose money over health. I know the government makes it easier for people on food stamps and other assistance to buy foods that are slowly killing those people. Yes, our government is slowly killing its population, probably knowingly, and it doesn't care. I know Michelle Obama is trying to do the right thing by encouraging healthier habits in food choices and activity. She has to follow the USDA guidelines in her PSAs and official positions due to her official position. I just wish people would see otherwise.

I am hoping my goal of making the People magazine weight loss issue will show others that it can be done. And truly without gimmicks. So many of the people chosen follow Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or some other money making scheme. For them it often isn't just about changing their diet but following some commercial. Slim Fast, too! I want to show people (and People) weight loss and strength can be achieved with delicious foods, a bit of exercise, but not overblown workouts that take hours, and fun. That would truly be a no-gimmick success story.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Kris,
    I like your attitude. I'm sure you will do great.

Every time I start getting obsessive about the scale I make myself go back and re-read one thread. It's by Batty in the Odds and Ends section and it's title is "To My Fellow Grokettes". I highly recommend taking a look at it.

BTW, you mentioned working on your push ups. Can you do a pull up? If not, you would be welcome to join the Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011, also found on the Odds and Ends section.

Robin

thanks Paleobird Robin! Can't do a pull-up wither, I don't think. I don't have anything to do a pull-up on right now. I was thinking of getting a bar to put in the doorway after this move, but living in base housing I am not sure if I would be allowed. Once we move and I can get set up I want to start the first level of the PB Fitness stuff Mark has online. I've watched the YouTube clips so I am ready. Wish I could be in a place as nice, green and sunny and warm. One day again.

Lunch was a great chicken salad. Sweet butter lettuce, homemade Caesar dressing and warm chicken. LOVE that free-range organic chicken. FLAVOR! Who knew chicken could have flavor and be juicy? And it had color too! Just like the egg yolk of organic free-range eggs. Good day so far!!

Dinner? Yeah, don't know about that yet. Probably more chicken with a side of green beans and bacon. Why not?

And this morning was a short yoga session again. It felt great. Maybe a treadmill walk later today. It is too cold outside for anything else.

When I began the PB plan, back on Feb 6, I went in with the idea that for the first 2 weeks I would concentrate on the diet only. I would add fitness later, just to keep things more simple. And it was great. I devoured this website, read the book in days, scoured hte forums for more info and advice, and generally stuck with the food plan. I feel like it's now natural (and wasn't it always?) to eat primally. I don't know that I've got it just right; I doubt I am perfectly primal at all. I know this because sometimes I do get really hungry. But that's okay, I am doing quite well. I am bugged that in keeping my carbs below 100g nearly every day, and often below 50g, I haven't lost more weight. I log all my food, just for the carb count, a bit for calorie intake as well as I am curious about that. I know adding in fitness will help more.

I have begun fitness. I am not doing PB fitness right now but I like the philosophy. I have been doing yoga because I like it and it keeps most depression symptoms at bay. I need to walk more, or run, but I don't care for the treadmill and I HATE the cold. It is just COLD here and I hate feeling cold with every ounce of my being. No enjoyment whatsoever. I would like to restart Couch to 5K again, and maybe do a half marathon in January again. But slow! Well, I've always been a very slow runner, more of a run/walker, and I like it that way. Hopefully sun and warmth are coming soon. I can't wait until we get stationed somewhere warm again.

So, the husband said he was going to do this with me. And he did for about a week, if that. He came home just a bit ago for a quick bite to eat, then grabbed a handful of M&Ms. He had pasta when we went out the other night. He's pretty much just going with the usual stuff. And that's fine with me, really. This WOE/WOL is for me, not for him. And I am trying to get the kids to eat more like me for their long term health (and since I make most of their food, that's easy). But they all still like pasta and bread, and I am not 100% convinced that all grains are bad. They just aren't fitting in with my life right now. I do believe they aren't great, mainly as the bulk of our diet, but I don't know that they need to be completely cut out for everyone. I think the PB way is just more healthy as it encourages REAL food, all the healthy things like veggies and protein from meats, not a long list of ingredients that make up frankenfoods.

Anyway, I need to figure out why my weight loss has stalled after 2 weeks. I know fat loss has stalled too as my clothing isn't fitting any differently. My calories aren't outrageous (about 1300-1500 per day). Of course, fitness will help and I will begin seeing some changes soon enough, especially as I increase my abilities. I just want to be lean and strong NOW! Well, who doesn't want things right away, huh? I have to say, though, that this is the longest I've ever stayed with a program of any sort, and PB has been the most convincing thing I've read in a long time. I know it's a long-term thing, not a sprint to the finish. I just need to keep that in my head. So far, for once, I have.

Today's food:
    B: 2 eggs over easy, 1 cup spinach sprinkled with feta (maybe 1 tbsp), 4 slices bacon (can't wait to move and find a store with "good" bacon), all cooked in BUTTER!! Butter rocks!
    L: Sweet butter lettuce with 5 cherry tomatoes, roasted chicken and skin (maybe 1 cup), homemade caesar dressing
    D: plan on salmon with BUTTER, haven't decided on veggies, maybe asparagus, possibly green beans. *Screw the plan! I didn't feel like making salmon so I made deviled eggs instead. 2 HB eggs, mayo and relish.*
    Snacks: I had about an ounce of parmesan chunks, I am sure I'll have 3 squares (1 serving) of the Intensely Dark Ghirardelli 72% dark chocolate. Because it's yummy!
    And all my beverages are water. I don't drink anything else, haven't in a long time except some wine sometimes. White wine (I know red is "better" but I don't like red wines, and believe me I have tried a number of them; well, I do like a cold sweet red wine).
    *32 carbs for the day, but 1683 calories. Stupid macadamias. That's why I don't eat them often.*
    Last edited by Kris C; 02-24-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add dinner and carb/calorie info

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast