Thread: Substitute for Divebombers? page

Darbbb is offline Member

Substitute for Divebombers?

I am about to finish P90x and begin PB Fitness. In a couple of weeks I will take the self-assessment test and dig in. One problem...because of a previous shoulder separation, I cannot do divebombers without re-injuring that shoulder. In P90x, I can do multiple reps of standard pushups, military, pike, decline, diamond, etc. but for some reason that divebomber motion just messes with that old injury. What do you suggest I do to modify, especially when it comes to the divbomber portion of the self-assessment? Thanks.

Darbbb is offline Member
    I'm bumping my own post, hoping someone has some suggestions. Thanks.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    It's the over head press part that is important. Do the jackknife version (level 2) since it sounds like it is ok or do the level 4 if you think you are close to that level. Take your best guess. If you start on level 2 and need to skip level 3 then just do level 2 for an extra 5 reps or so before moving on.

I also find the divebombers much harder on the shoulder as you have to change angle while at the heavy load portion of the exercise. I am looking at skipping them.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I have a third degree separated shoulder and they bother my shoulder as well, I substituted with the jackknife on an exercise ball.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

peril is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to do them for the self-assessment - that is all at level 4. If you start at level 1 or 2 then just skip level 3. I did and can now do level 4 without a break
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I, too, found the divebombers to be rough on my shoulders. In fact, I ended up with some rotator cuff pain that required me to lay off the shoulders for over a month. I can't be sure the divebombers were at fault -- I was also increasing weight on my military press during that time -- but I suspect I would have been okay with just the presses, because my form is good and I've never had shoulder issues with military presses in the past. The divebombers were a new addition to my program.

Anyway, I concur about skipping them in favor of elevated jackknives. If you have access to a bar, you could also do military presses. Overhead dumbbell presses would work, too, but you'd have to work up to fairly heavy dumbbells.

I guess it depends where you want to go with it. If your goal is handstand pushups, I'd focus on bodyweight progression. If your goal is developed shoulders, military presses will do the job.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Darbbb is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Those are helpful suggestions. Thanks, everyone.