Thread: Feeling really warm at night? page

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member

Feeling really warm at night?

Primal Fuel
    I've been close to 100% primal for a couple months now, but a couple weeks ago I drastically increased my fat intake, switching from mostly poultry to much fattier meats. I also started Vitamin D 10,000 IU/day, just for the sake of total disclosure.

So sometime in the past couple of weeks I started feeling much warmer at night. Our house is a near constant 58 degrees in winter, and I'm used to freezing all day and needing four blankets and long pants and a sweatshirt to sleep. Now I still freeze all day, but at night I've been sleeping nude with a single comforter. What? Does the increased fat have anything to do with this? Is the vitamin D along with waking up with the sunrise aligning my circadian rhythm better? I know body temp changes throughout the day by a few degrees, but that doesn't seem like enough to have such a drastic change.

Any thoughts?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed the same phenomenon. It happened for me after going very low carb, about 6 weeks ago, 2 months after going Primal.

I'd already been taking 8,000 IUs of D for a year.

No idea why--assumed it might be the increased fat burning!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    +1 for me too!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I am just going to my experience into the mix.

When I'm fasting, I'm cold.
    When I'm eating normal to a lot, I am normal to a bit warmer body temp.
    When I eat coconut fats I get really hot and I SWEAT!

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Oh okay cool, I'm not alone. Thanks guys. Definitely not complaining, although I'm curious what hot summer nights will be like. I'm hoping the only change will be my lower body fat % keeping me cooler. Fingers crossed, that would be great.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting—like lcme said, when I'm fasting, I'm usually cold (which is unusual for me). But after I've eaten, I feel normal. I've been hot a few nights since going primal, and especially since I started using coconut milk. It's nice to know it isn't just me. And I do hope it's increased fat burning!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Glad you asked that. I'm 2 and a bit weeks into a VLC whole30 with lots of fat and the last couple of days my cheeks have been burning after I ate my evening meal!

I can't really tolerate coconut oil- it makes my hands and feet feel hot which gives me restless legs at night.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

tomi is offline Senior Member
    question: WHY so much vitamin D? Have you had your levels checked via blood test? 2000 to 4000 should be sufficient unless your grossly deficient. Maybe do some research on the effects of too much. ????

Stephen the Bearded is offline Junior Member
    I've been feeling colder, but that probably has to with with the fact that I've lost so much insulating body fat! 100 lbs ago I could walk outside in the snow in jeans and a t-shirt, but now I can get pretty darn cold.
    Started: Fall 2010
    Starting weight: 320 lbs
    Current weight: 220 lbs
    Goal weight: 180 lbs