Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best food with which to break a 36 hour fast? page

Svidrigailoff is offline Junior Member

What's the best food with which to break a 36 hour fast?

Primal Fuel
    Not sure what happened, but last night I started throwing up after dinner and had a truly miserable night. After 24 hours of fasting (just water) but gut now feels fine and I feel great, oddly enough. So great that I'm thinking I'd rather go to bed on an empty stomach and break the fast tomorrow morning. My husband is advising breaking the fast with plain white rice as it's mild but I'm worried about the glucose rush...besides, I'd rather stay primal. Meat is probably a little risky for a sensitive stomach, right? Eggs?

I'm thinking that I might like to fast maybe once a month, and since fasting is something encouraged here...anybody found an ideal food for breaking an extended (36 hour) fast?

TIA!

jandge is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth or vegetable juice would be easy to break the fast if you want something nutritious, but easy on the stomach.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Svidrigailoff is offline Junior Member
    I like the idea, but would this have sufficient calories?

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    You don't want to rush your body with calories right away. Its best to break any fast on raw vegetables then move up to lighter meats, chicken, fish. You could start with an apple and some almond butter for breakfast, skip lunch and then have a light salad with chicken for dinner. Skipping lunch will give your body adequate time to readjust, but 36 hours isn't too long to go without eating. Your liver most likely hasn't exhausted its glucose stores yet and your digestive system hasn't begun to slow dramatically. That takes 3 or 4 days for most people. I recently did a 23 day water fast and broke it with vegetable broth and a light salad with little discomfort. Just some thoughts, hope it helps.
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but had some long travel days that gave me the excuse/impetus for a 34 hr fast and a 24 hr fast, neither associated with stomach distress as in your case. In both instances I broke the fast with a normal sized meal. The 34-hour fast ended with a big cobb salad (also after a morning light run with a dozen hard sprints; lot of energy btw). The 24 hr fast ended this morning with a 2-egg omelette with smoked salmon, mushrooms, onions, squash. Yum! Felt fine after both. given your stomach issues prior, you might consider a probiotic yogurt to help with gut flora. Again, not an expert, just thoughts.

Also, I was surprised at how easy the fasts were. I have done 24 hrs once before, and recently a lot of 16 hr fasts, but the 34 hour one surprised me at how easy it was. Part of why it was easy is that I was not around human food (ie, I was in airplanes and airports) so it was easy to just turn off the food voice in my head.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    I would break the fast with broth first and then a little while later have some cooked green veggies/butter and a little protein.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Chicken legs, broccoli, berries, ribs, eggs, bacon, etc.

Chabbo is offline Junior Member
    I do two 44 hour fasts per week and break the fast by eating a homemade beef or chicken broth vegetable soup. Then I eat a huge salad, and then I eat raw nuts and seeds, and possibly some high-protein sources (on the days I do resistance training. I usually eat within a 4-5 hour window after I fast. I also fast every day that I do eat by not eating until 5:00 pm when I get home from work, and break the fast the exact same way. The only issue that I occasionally (maybe once every 3 months) have is loose stool after I eat my salad (but only after a 44 hour fast). FWIW, I feel best on the day after I start the 44 hour fasts. 20th - 44th hour of the fast).

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You can break the fast on anything that's primal, preferably protein and fat. Think of what an ancient hunter would have done after hunting for a day and a half -- he would have gone straight for the liver and chowed down. Advice to eat something that's "easy" on the stomach is full of CW. If meat were hard on the stomach, we primals wouldn't be doing very well. Easing back into food is something that you do when you haven't eaten anything for a week or two, when the body has stopped expecting food and gone into another mode.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Bacon........natures perfect food, preferably combined with eggs or steak in my book
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast